linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Re: [linux-lvm] Lost harddrive space
       [not found] <200104121823.UAA21356@mailserver2.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de>
@ 2020-11-27 16:17 ` Holger Grothe
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Holger Grothe @ 2020-11-27 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Hi,
> 
> My harddrive is 61.4GB i think. I think LVM is great software, it should 

Your harddisk is 60 marketing GB (see below).

> #fdisk -l
> 
> Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 7476 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

7476*16065*512/1024 = 60050970 KB = 58643.525 MB = 57.269 GB (factor 1024)

>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *         1        61    489951   83  Linux
> /dev/hda2            62      7476  59560987+  8e  Unknown

489951 KB + 59560987 KB = 60050938 KB (see above, the + indicates a small
loss).

59560987 KB = 58165.026 MB = 56.802 GB (factor 1024)
> 
> 
> #pvdisplay /dev/hda2
> 
> --- Physical volume ---
> PV Name               /dev/hda2
> VG Name               erkki
> PV Size               56.8 GB / NOT usable 1.03 MB [LVM: 177 KB]
> PV#                   1
> PV Status             available
> Allocatable           yes
> Cur LV                3
> PE Size (KByte)       4096

PE Size = 4 MB

> Total PE              14541

14541*4 MB = 58164 MB = 56.800 GB = 59559936 KB (factor 1024)

59560987 KB - 59559936 KB = 1051 KB = 1.026 MB ( < 4MB, so no additional PE
is possible).

Don't believe in the disksizes of marketing guys. These guys only know
calculations with 1000 :-)

Holger 
--
Holger Grothe  (Email: grothe@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de)
Fachbereich Mathematik, TU Darmstadt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [linux-lvm] Lost harddrive space
       [not found] <no.id>
  2001-04-12 18:28 ` Heinz J. Mauelshagen
@ 2001-04-24 18:02 ` Heinz J. Mauelshagen
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Heinz J. Mauelshagen @ 2001-04-24 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 08:19:34PM +0200, Erik Rigtorp wrote:
> My harddrive is 61.4GB i think. I think LVM is great software, it should 
> be standard in all ditributions.
> 
> /Erik
> 
> #fdisk -l
> 
> Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 7476 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
> 
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *         1        61    489951   83  Linux
> /dev/hda2            62      7476  59560987+  8e  Unknown

59560987 / 1024 / 1024 == 56.8.

No lost space whatshowever.

> 
> 
> #pvdisplay /dev/hda2
> 
> --- Physical volume ---
> PV Name               /dev/hda2
> VG Name               erkki
> PV Size               56.8 GB / NOT usable 1.03 MB [LVM: 177 KB]
> PV#                   1
> PV Status             available
> Allocatable           yes
> Cur LV                3
> PE Size (KByte)       4096
> Total PE              14541
> Free PE               12237
> Allocated PE          2304
> PV UUID               IUz7yE-MP2i-QwJ2-23GW-70cu-P2Fw-7Jn0xA
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: "Heinz J. Mauelshagen" <Mauelshagen@sistina.com>
> To: linux-lvm@sistina.com
> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:28:56 +0000
> Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] Lost harddrive space
> 
> > On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 05:51:30PM +0200, Erik Rigtorp wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > > 
> > > I have a 60999.46 MB linux lvm partition. But when I pvcreate it and 
> > > pvdisplay /dev/hda2 it says the physical volume is only 56.8GB and
> > 1.03MB 
> > > not used. Where are those lost Gigs? I use the lvm that comes with
> > the 
> > > 2.4.3 kernel.
> > 
> > Could you provide "pvdisplay /dev/hda2" and "fdisk -l /dev/hda" please?
> > 
> > It is likely caused by the math:
> > 
> >  1 GB = 2^30 Byte
> > 
> > > 
> > > /Erik
> > > 
> > > 
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > linux-lvm mailing list
> > > linux-lvm@sistina.com
> > > http://lists.sistina.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-lvm
> > 
> > -- 
> > 
> > Regards,
> > Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --
> > 
> > *** Software bugs are stupid.
> >     Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***
> > 
> > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> > -=-=-=-
> > 
> > Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Sistina Software Inc.
> > Senior Consultant/Developer                       Am Sonnenhang 11
> >                                                   56242 Marienrachdorf
> >                                                   Germany
> > Mauelshagen@Sistina.com                           +49 2626 141200
> >                                                        FAX 924446
> > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> > -=-=-=-
> > _______________________________________________
> > linux-lvm mailing list
> > linux-lvm@sistina.com
> > http://lists.sistina.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-lvm
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> linux-lvm mailing list
> linux-lvm@sistina.com
> http://lists.sistina.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-lvm

-- 

Regards,
Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

*** Software bugs are stupid.
    Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Sistina Software Inc.
Senior Consultant/Developer                       Am Sonnenhang 11
                                                  56242 Marienrachdorf
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen@Sistina.com                           +49 2626 141200
                                                       FAX 924446
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [linux-lvm] Lost harddrive space
       [not found] <no.id>
@ 2001-04-12 18:28 ` Heinz J. Mauelshagen
  2001-04-24 18:02 ` Heinz J. Mauelshagen
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Heinz J. Mauelshagen @ 2001-04-12 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 05:51:30PM +0200, Erik Rigtorp wrote:
> Hi!
> 
> I have a 60999.46 MB linux lvm partition. But when I pvcreate it and 
> pvdisplay /dev/hda2 it says the physical volume is only 56.8GB and 1.03MB 
> not used. Where are those lost Gigs? I use the lvm that comes with the 
> 2.4.3 kernel.

Could you provide "pvdisplay /dev/hda2" and "fdisk -l /dev/hda" please?

It is likely caused by the math:

 1 GB = 2^30 Byte

> 
> /Erik
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> linux-lvm mailing list
> linux-lvm@sistina.com
> http://lists.sistina.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-lvm

-- 

Regards,
Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

*** Software bugs are stupid.
    Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Sistina Software Inc.
Senior Consultant/Developer                       Am Sonnenhang 11
                                                  56242 Marienrachdorf
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen@Sistina.com                           +49 2626 141200
                                                       FAX 924446
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* RE: [linux-lvm] Lost harddrive space
       [not found] <200104121553.IAA30370@nebulus.tfb.com>
@ 2001-04-12 17:24 ` Jamey Kirby
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Jamey Kirby @ 2001-04-12 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Is the driver using CHS or LBA? THis may cause the loss of sectors.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: linux-lvm-admin@sistina.com [mailto:linux-lvm-admin@sistina.com]On
> Behalf Of Erik Rigtorp
> Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 8:52 AM
> To: linux-lvm@sistina.com
> Subject: [linux-lvm] Lost harddrive space
>
>
> Hi!
>
> I have a 60999.46 MB linux lvm partition. But when I pvcreate it and
> pvdisplay /dev/hda2 it says the physical volume is only 56.8GB and 1.03MB
> not used. Where are those lost Gigs? I use the lvm that comes with the
> 2.4.3 kernel.
>
> /Erik
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> linux-lvm mailing list
> linux-lvm@sistina.com
> http://lists.sistina.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-lvm
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-11-27 16:17 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
     [not found] <200104121823.UAA21356@mailserver2.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de>
2020-11-27 16:17 ` [linux-lvm] Lost harddrive space Holger Grothe
     [not found] <no.id>
2001-04-12 18:28 ` Heinz J. Mauelshagen
2001-04-24 18:02 ` Heinz J. Mauelshagen
     [not found] <200104121553.IAA30370@nebulus.tfb.com>
2001-04-12 17:24 ` Jamey Kirby

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).