linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: Brian McCullough <bdmc@bdmcc-us.com>
To: dm-devel@redhat.com, linux-lvm@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] storage-logger: Recording changes to the udev database
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 20:32:24 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:31:45PM +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> I'm experimenting with ways of recording changes to the udev database so
> you can look back at the history of the storage stack on a particular
> machine.  This is still a work-in-progress, but it's reached a point
> where I'd like more people to try it out.
>
> I've written a shell script that records data related to storage uevents
> in the system journal and a perl script that helps you to interrogate
> this data later to create a representation of the storage components.
>
> If you're interested, please try this out and let me know if you think
> pursing this approach further would lead to something that you would
> use and distributions should ship.

Alasdair,

I have downloaded and installed in a Debian 9 environment.

There are a couple of differences that I have seen so far.

First, most importantly, the udev rules are in /etc/udev/rules.d.

Secondly, it appears that the journalctl command does not like the
output fields option.

I will install this on another machine that has a bit more device
activity, and comment later.

Brian