linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: "John Stoffel" <john@stoffel.org>
To: jlpoole56@gmail.com,
	LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] 2.03 Volume readable by 2.02?
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 18:47:29 -0500	[thread overview]

>>>>> "John" == John L Poole <jlpoole56@gmail.com> writes:

John> I am having problems with a kernel and/or initial ram file
John> system booting up in a Xen environment.

Do you have any logs of the error(s) when booting up?

Can you show us the configuration of your Xen guest and it's LVM
volumes, VG and PVs as well?  The more details the better.

I personally don't do Gentoo or Xen, so I can't help there.  But I can
ask you to post more details.  A boot log would be very helpful.

John> The guest virtual machine's root file system is on an lvm volume created
John> in Debian.  Dom0 is Debian.
John> lvm on Debian is: 2.03.02(2).

John> The guest virtual machine is in Gentoo and I have lvm  2.02.187-r2
John> installed therein.  I built my
John> kernel and initramfs against the 2.02 version of lvm.

John> My question: should tools of lvm v. 2.02.187 be able to read and access
John> a volume created by 2.03.02?

John> Does the version change between 2.02 and 2.03 mean that the file system
John> created by 2.03 tools
John> may not be readable or accessible by 2.02 tools and libraries?  I'm
John> doubting it, but asking.

John> Gentoo's highest version of lvm is 2.02.187-r2; Gentoo developers have
John> lvm 2.03 masked with the note:

John>       [2.03] Needs LOTS of testing, broke boot on my laptop
John>       in early attempts, maybe needs matching genkernel work?

John> source: https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-fs/lvm2

John> Thank you,

John> John Poole

John> linux-lvm mailing list