linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: "Tomas Dalebjörk" <tomas.dalebjork@gmail.com>
To: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>
Cc: Zdenek Kabelac <zdenek.kabelac@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] how to convert a disk containing a snapshot to a snapshot lv?
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 07:40:45 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi
Yes, it is an incremental backup based of the cow device
no worries about the backup, that works fine, and now by just creating a lv snapshot on it, works too
sent you an example before
eg
# extend vg with new bu disk
vgextend xxx newdisk
# create lv structure on disk
lvcreate -s -L wholedisksize -n s1 xxx/lv newdisk
# merge has to be started offline?
lvchange -a n xxx/lv
# start merge
lvconvert -merge -b xxx/s1
# online the lv
lvchange -a y xxx/s1

The backup is provisioned through the disk, and makes the data available immediately

But, I guess I can skip some steps?

Restoring data in just a matter of minutes, regardless of size, or will say, making the data available anywhere in just a few minutes, regardless of size

Also working with writes, without destroying the backup

are there a way to get a signal when a merge has completed?
or do I have to implement a monitor
dmsetup xxx
or lvs
to check when merge has completed