linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@redhat.com>
To: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>,
	Sreyan Chakravarty <sreyan32@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] Is TRIM and DISCARD needed for normal HDD ?
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 12:01:33 +0100	[thread overview]

Dne 25. 11. 20 v 16:37 Sreyan Chakravarty napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> I am using thin LVM pools, but I have a normal hard disk and not a SSD.
>
> Is there any reason to enable TRIM and/or DISCARD for my HDD ?
>
> I have heard it is only useful for a SSD. Will it offer any advantages in my
> case ?

Hi

Thin-pool is created by default with 'passdown' TRIM/discard support.

This means - discard to thin LV  (i.e. fstrim of ext4 on thinLV) gets
propagated to thin-pool, where it may deallocate full chunk when possible
(i.e. if you use  256K chunk, WHOLE chunk must be free to have an effective
discard).

With "passdown" mode - such released chunks are also then passed through to
origin _tdata device - where again some 'alignment rules' of discardable
regions applie (i.e. lot of SSD need 512KiB blocks).

If you have HDD - then clearly such discard stops at thin-pool level
(automatically) and just releases chunks in thin-pool for future reuse.

"ignore" discard mode is usefull in the case you want to keep already
'allocated' chunks for thin LV always there - and also in some case it may
make timing more predictible - as discard requires processing - so it ma
slowdown few things - but at the expense of more filled thin-pool....

Hopefully this makes it clear.

Regards

Zdenek