A James Lewis wrote: > What you're asking is can LVM be used in conjunction with MD, and is this > the correct solution or is LVM/MD going to merge or LVM duplicate MD's > work?? What is MD and where can I get it? And why would we not want LVM to do this? That is what a logical volumne manager is for? Yes? Please note that it a month veritas will be out for linux. It will have these options, I think maybe we should think about what options they have and maybe make some plans for lvm. I say "we" because I would love to help were I could. > > > I'd like those answers too!!!! > > On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Chris Anderson wrote: > > > Harald Milz wrote: > > > > > Chris Anderson wrote: > > > > I have looked through the doc and I see that LVM stripes but how do you > > > > setup a true mirror? One hard dive mirrored to another hard drive (1 to > > > > 1). > > > > > > It's more like one partition or logical volume mirrored against another > > > one (not necessarily disks - you seem to be familiar with Novell). LVM > > > can't do this. Use MD. > > > > I know veritas. It has a SubDisk, Plex Volume setup. A subdisk is part of a > > disk and one or more subdisk make a Plex and one or more plexes make a > > volume. And a volume can be used as a mount point or whatever. > > > > So if a disk goes bad only plexes with use a subdisk from that disk are > > down. And if a volume has two plex only one need to be up to run. Later the > > plex can be re-joined back to the volume and the data is synched back to the > > other plex. > > > > In a nut shell what happens when one disk goes down with LVM? Can it be > > setup to keep the volume up and alive and run and if so what is the best way? > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > If you sit down at a poker game and don't see a sucker, get up. You're > > > the sucker. > >