linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs
@ 1999-10-03 13:06 Daniel Whicker
From: Daniel Whicker @ 1999-10-03 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

At 02:43 AM 10/3/99 , Harald Milz wrote:
>Drew Smith <drew@winterland.mainland.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> >       IBM's ADSM(*) (well, TSM now, thanks to Tivoli) uses raw logical
> > volumes on a fairly native level as storage pools, etc.  I'm curious,
> > having never looked into raw IO under Linux, whether it's the same
> > principles - and, that said, whether or not IBM will be porting the TSM
> > server to Linux?

   This is a bit off topic, buy hey.  ADSM (TSM) actually gives you the
option of using either files or raw i/o.  I don't see that there would be
any problems with a Linux port of the server.  They could simply disable
the ability to use raw i/o for your disk storage pools, log volumes, and db
volumes.  What may pose a problem is the amount of disk space required for
a significant ADSM server.  If you're looking at a half terabyte or more of
disks, you may run into the limit of Linux major/minor numbers for SCSI
disks.  (Btw: I'm unclear on whether the devfs patch resolves this?)
									-Daniel
		Daniel Whicker  (heimdall@mail.org)

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs
@ 1999-10-04 11:03         ` pamvdam
From: pamvdam @ 1999-10-04 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen C. Tweedie; +Cc: pamvdam, Fernando Dammous, Linux LVM msede

On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 11:43:27AM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 3 Oct 1999 07:56:44 +0200, pamvdam@ramoth.xs4all.nl said:
>
> > Oracle has always been using filesystems for it's datastorage. Only for
> > the parrallel server configuration they demand RAW IO. Like Sybase 11.9.x
> > under Linux it probably uses some O_SYNC flag to write to log, so the
> > write call only returns when the data has been really written to the
> > physical device. I don't think you'll see a performance enhancement when
> > using Oracle and RAW/IO. There's even a chance, due to the fact you mis
> > the buffer cache optimisations, that you'll see a performance
> > degradation.
>
> It depends.  Raw IO uses less CPU --- much less in some cases.  It also
> avoids polluting memory with extra copies of data in the buffer cache.
> As a result, just measuring the pure disk bandwidth of raw IO versus
> buffered IO does not tell you the whole story about performance: you
> really need to measure the application's performance itself, including
> the effect of CPU and memory pressure.

You're right. I did oversee the buffercache pollution issue. Thanks
for pointing it out.

Best regards,

	Pascal

> --Stephen

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs
@ 1999-10-04 10:44       ` Stephen C. Tweedie
From: Stephen C. Tweedie @ 1999-10-04 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: freddy; +Cc: Fernando Dammous, Stephen C. Tweedie, Linux LVM msede

Hi,

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999 12:14:15 +0200, Adrien Farkas
<freddy@redneck.sk.oracle.com> said:

> Forget it, Linux port of Oracle DB doesn't support raw-io.

I believe that the current Oracle-8i release supports Linux raw IO out
of the box.

--Stephen

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs
@ 1999-10-04 10:43       ` Stephen C. Tweedie
From: Stephen C. Tweedie @ 1999-10-04 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pamvdam; +Cc: Fernando Dammous, Stephen C. Tweedie, Linux LVM msede

@ 1999-10-04  9:28         ` Adrien Farkas
From: Adrien Farkas @ 1999-10-04  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Dammous; +Cc: linux-lvm

Fernando Dammous (ferdam@internetcom.com.br) wrote :

> Hi (again!),
>
> From: Adrien Farkas <freddy@redneck.sk.oracle.com>
> > Forget it, Linux port of Oracle DB doesn't support raw-io.
>
> I admit that I'm not a deep expert of Oracle, mainly regarding interaction
> with the I/O devices and with the operating system.
>
> However, I have been finding in the documentation of Oracle for Linux,
> several references of utilization of RAW-DEVICES (among others).
> I'm not, here, wanting to create controversy, because it is dealt with a
> matter extra-LVM and being you a member of Oracle (I saw for your e-mail
> address freddy@sk.oracle.com), you must have knowledge of this subject. Then
> I ask:
>  What does mean the references about RAW-DEVICES in documentation?
> To illustrate, I separated some from :
>
> Oracle8 Administrator's Reference for LINUX
> Release 8.0.5
> A66585-01

Oh, I'm sorry, Linux port of Oracle _does_ support raw io, but it depends on Oracle8 release, 8.0.5 does not, 8.0.5.1 (not released for public for free, afaik) and 8i (aka 8.1.5) both do. But definitely, I've never tried it. The last time I was interested in using raw partitions was in the time of 8.0.5, so prehaps that's why I still thought Oracle doesn't support them.

--
                                             freddy

----==-- _                      Adrien "freddy" Farkas
---==---(_)__  __ ____  __       freddy@sk.oracle.com
--==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  We all know Linux is great... It
-=====/_/_//_/\___/ /_/\_\  does infinite loops in 5 seconds

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs
@ 1999-10-03 17:23       ` Fernando Dammous
From: Fernando Dammous @ 1999-10-03 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: freddy; +Cc: Stephen C. Tweedie, Linux LVM msede

Hi (again!),

From: Adrien Farkas <freddy@redneck.sk.oracle.com>

@ 1999-10-03 10:14     ` Adrien Farkas
From: Adrien Farkas @ 1999-10-03 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Dammous; +Cc: Stephen C. Tweedie, Linux LVM msede

--

@ 1999-10-03  7:43     ` Harald Milz
From: Harald Milz @ 1999-10-03  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Drew Smith <drew@winterland.mainland.ab.ca> wrote:

> 	IBM's ADSM(*) (well, TSM now, thanks to Tivoli) uses raw logical
> volumes on a fairly native level as storage pools, etc.  I'm curious,
> having never looked into raw IO under Linux, whether it's the same
> principles - and, that said, whether or not IBM will be porting the TSM
> server to Linux?

I'm working on that one. Ummm... should we launch a petition? I'd be
willing to host a web page.

--
Don't you feel more like you do now than you did when you came in?

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs
@ 1999-10-03  5:56     ` pamvdam
From: pamvdam @ 1999-10-03  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Dammous; +Cc: Stephen C. Tweedie, Linux LVM msede

On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 02:08:09PM -0300, Fernando Dammous wrote:
<stuff deleted>

> I prefer to update my kernel (to 2.3.18 or even to wait for the 2.4), before
> and then to use RAW-IO.
> I just hope I can simply alter Oracle to use RAW-IO instead of having
> reinstall it.
> Using Oracle with LVM is already very good, with RAW-IO it will be better (I
> believe).

I do question that. Sybase somehow needs (or better prefers) RAW-IO to ensure
it's structural integrity. If the buffer cache is between the data transfer
of the LOG and the physical device it is possible that not all of the log
that should be written out is written out, however Sybase thinks it has been
written to disk. RAW-IO/direct IO ensures that the LOG that has been ordered
to be written on disk will be written to disk. I would like to emphasize
that not using RAW-IO will not impose corrupting your database. It imposes
that there's a risk of loosing your data in case of a failure.

Oracle has always been using filesystems for it's datastorage. Only for
the parrallel server configuration they demand RAW IO. Like Sybase 11.9.x
under Linux it probably uses some O_SYNC flag to write to log, so the
write call only returns when the data has been really written to the
physical device. I don't think you'll see a performance enhancement when
using Oracle and RAW/IO. There's even a chance, due to the fact you mis
the buffer cache optimisations, that you'll see a performance degradation.

This is a common misunderstanding.

Best regards,

	Pascal van Dam

> In any way, I thank in advance for your interest (and of all people of here)
> in helping me in this case.
>
> Thank you very much
>
> Fernando

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs
@ 1999-10-02 17:08   ` Fernando Dammous
From: Fernando Dammous @ 1999-10-02 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen C. Tweedie; +Cc: Linux LVM msede

@ 1999-10-02 15:53       ` Eric Smith
From: Eric Smith @ 1999-10-02 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen C. Tweedie; +Cc: Drew Smith, linux-lvm

I've been using the Linux ADSM v3 _client_ for some time but I've never
seen a server project.  Even the client is still listed as unsupported from
IBM although you can get it from them.  It's awesome...where's the
server?!?

--Eric

"Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 01 Oct 1999 12:39:09 -0600, Drew Smith
> <drew@winterland.mainland.ab.ca> said:
>
> >       Now, I've just got to find a Linux-HSM(**) project to control my
> > optical jukebox. :)  Any ideas whether this exists?
>
> Not yet, but XFS has all of the support necessary for us to do a
> kernel DMAPI implementation, which would open up all sorts of HSM
> possibilities.
>
> --Stephen

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs
@ 1999-10-02 15:01     ` Stephen C. Tweedie
From: Stephen C. Tweedie @ 1999-10-02 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Smith; +Cc: Stephen C. Tweedie, linux-lvm

@ 1999-10-01 19:15     ` Luca Berra
From: Luca Berra @ 1999-10-01 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 12:39:09PM -0600, Drew Smith wrote:
> 	Now, I've just got to find a Linux-HSM(**) project to control my
> optical jukebox. :)  Any ideas whether this exists?

Ingo Molnar is doing HSM as part of linux-raid,
not working yet afaik

L.
--
Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it
    Communications Media & Services S.r.l.

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs
@ 1999-10-01 18:39   ` Drew Smith
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Drew Smith @ 1999-10-01 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen C. Tweedie, linux-lvm

	Hi, just checking a fact. :)

	IBM's ADSM(*) (well, TSM now, thanks to Tivoli) uses raw logical
volumes on a fairly native level as storage pools, etc.  I'm curious,
having never looked into raw IO under Linux, whether it's the same
principles - and, that said, whether or not IBM will be porting the TSM
server to Linux?

	Regardless, LVM is a huge jump in the right direction if we want IBM to
release more schtuff for Linux.

	Now, I've just got to find a Linux-HSM(**) project to control my
optical jukebox. :)  Any ideas whether this exists?

(apologies for the footnotes, they're there for the benefit of people on
the list who don't know these acronyms)
*: ADSM: ADSTAR Distributed Storage Management.  A highly-cool
enterprise backup system, scheduling, etc - IBM's version of Veritas.
**: HSM: Heirarchial Storage Management.  Basically, take a tape library
or jukebox, make a database of everything on every cartridge, and mount
that database as a filesystem.  Copy something out of it, the library
goes and gets the appropriate media and feeds it to the drive.  With a
20-cart optical jukebox, this is basically a 20*1.3G filesystem (albiet
a fairly slow one, but with a script to copy the file into a temp space,
perfect as a low-use fileserver.  ADSM does this, but the cost is hefty,
to say the least.)

	Cheers,
	- Drew.
:wq

"Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 23:48:23 -0300, "Fernando Dammous"
> <ferdam@internetcom.com.br> said:
>
> > Now, I would like to install the devfs and mainly the raw-io.
>
> > Can I install them in a kernel 2.0.36, which is already patched with
> > LVM?
>
> I've never tried the raw IO code on 2.0: let me know how it goes!  In
> principle, there is no reason why raw IO on LVM should not work.
>
> --Stephen

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs
@ 1999-10-01 16:38 ` Stephen C. Tweedie
From: Stephen C. Tweedie @ 1999-10-01 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Dammous; +Cc: Linux LVM msede, Stephen Tweedie

@ 1999-10-01 12:40 ` Adrien Farkas
From: Adrien Farkas @ 1999-10-01 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Dammous; +Cc: linux-lvm

Fernando Dammous (ferdam@internetcom.com.br) wrote :

> LVM 0.7 is installed (built into the kernel, which is still in the version 2.0.36) and working perfectly, with the root filesystem and swap in a LV (boot with initrd).
>
> Now, I would like to install the devfs and mainly the raw-io.
>
> Can I install them in a kernel 2.0.36, which is already patched with LVM?
>
> Should I apply the patches in which order (first devfs, later the raw-io, or vice versa)?
>
> I intend to install Oracle8 using raw-io.

well, I'm still not sure whether Oracle software is compatible with raw-io patch in linux kernel, please let me know how are you doing with that.

> The devfs isn't so important for me (should it be ?).

devfs is a very usable patch compatible with most of devices (including LVM) and software (I can only think of vmware that doesn't run with vmware). it saves a lot of inodes in /dev and contains only devices really present in the system and uses intelligent backward-compatible naming scheme (so you can still use inodes like /dev/sda etc) present in many modern UN*X flavors (like Solaris, e.g.). You should give it at lease a chance before saying you use it only because of raw-devices ;)

> If anyone knows about restrictions or some clues I would thank a lot.

                                             freddy

----==-- _                      Adrien "freddy" Farkas
---==---(_)__  __ ____  __       freddy@sk.oracle.com
--==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  We all know Linux is great... It
-=====/_/_//_/\___/ /_/\_\  does infinite loops in 5 seconds

* [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs
@ 1999-10-01  2:48 Fernando Dammous
From: Fernando Dammous @ 1999-10-01  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)