linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: Gionatan Danti <g.danti@assyoma.it>
To: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>
Cc: Joe Thornber <thornber@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] Fast thin volume preallocation?
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 21:23:39 +0200	[thread overview]

Il 03-06-2019 15:23 Joe Thornber ha scritto:
> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 03:13:41PM +0200, Gionatan Danti wrote:
>
>> - does standard lvmthin support something similar? If not, how do you
>> see a
>> zero coalesce/compression/trim/whatever feature?
>
> There isn't such a feature as yet.

Ok, so the NAS vendor did something custom/proprietary. This is a reason
why I do *not* like such devices: how much testing and verification are
done before and after such customization? Not a lot, I would say.

> With the next iteration of thin I'd like to
> get away from the fixed allocation block sizes that we're using which
> should greatly
> reduce the number of mappings that we need to create to provision a
> thick volume and
> so speed it up a lot.

Interesting. Do you plan to have an dynamic chunk size bound to some
minumum/maximum? If so, how do you plan to tackle situations where a
single big chunk should be split due to a small CoW write happening
inside the big chunk? Example: a 128MB chunk-sized thin LV which is
snapshotted and a small 4K writes happening at offset 32M from chunk
start.

> Presumably you want a thick volume but inside a thin pool so that you
> can used snapshots?
> If so have you considered the 'external snapshot' feature?

Yes, in some cases they are quite useful. Still, a fast volume
allocation can be an handy addition.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico