linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] thin volume usage report
@ 2017-04-16  9:47 Xen
From: Xen @ 2017-04-16  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux lvm

So I concocted another thing:

     name             pct      size
     ------------------------------
     data          38.66%    15.43g
     home           8.22%     3.28g
     sites         33.55%    13.39g
     ------------------------------ +
     total         80.43%    32.11g

     reported      80.50%    32.13g
     available     19.50%     7.78g
     ------------------------------ +
     full size    100.00%    39.91g

This script will take a thin pool as a parameter (or search for all
existing)
and obtain all non-snapshot volumes.

It then counts the PE usage of all segments of those volumes together.
Then based on the usage % it will calculate the number of extents in
use.

It will turn that into a percentage of the total amount of extents in
the pool.

Then it will calculate the size in use and turn it into a human readable
form based on the LVM xxx.xxs format meaning that megabytes are also
displayed 123.00m with a max of 999.00m but typically you would see
0.99g or 2.23g figures.

Goes upto exa :p.

It obtains the VG PE_size (normally 4MB) for size calculations.

The discrepancy between "total" and "reported" is not yet used but
typically this difference would sit in snapshots...

It would become:

     name             pct      size
     ------------------------------
     data          38.66%    15.43g
     home           8.22%     3.28g
     sites         33.55%    13.39g
     ------------------------------ +
     total         80.43%    32.11g
     unaccounted    0.07%    20.00m
     ------------------------------ +
     reported      80.50%    32.13g
     available     19.50%     7.78g
     ------------------------------ +
     full size    100.00%    39.91g

Or something of the kind.

The idea for this thing is of course to be used in reports but you could
also run it manually.

* Re: [linux-lvm] thin volume usage report
@ 2017-04-16 10:27 ` Xen
From: Xen @ 2017-04-16 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux lvm

Xen schreef op 16-04-2017 11:47:

> This script will take a thin pool as a parameter (or search for all
> existing)
> and obtain all non-snapshot volumes.

Currently though it will paste the reports together in parallel if it
finds more than one pool :p

      name             pct      size        name             pct
size
      ------------------------------
------------------------------
      crazy             0%     0.00m        data          38.66%
15.43g
      ------------------------------ +      home           8.22%
3.28g
      total             0%     0.00m        sites         33.55%
13.39g

------------------------------ +
      reported       0.00%     0.00m        total         80.43%
32.11g
      available    100.00%    32.00m
      ------------------------------ +      reported      80.50%
32.13g
      full size    100.00%    32.00m        available     19.50%
7.78g

------------------------------ +
                                            full size    100.00%
39.91g

I don't know how many thin pools people might have :p.

I guess I should make a number of forms available but it is so much work
:p.

Lol.

Current version is at :
http://www.xenhideout.nl/scripts/thin_size_report.sh.txt

Running it will crash your system and send your brain contents to NASA.

But it might also produce the above output or something similar.

It needs access to /sbin/lvs and /sbin/vgdisplay but I guess there is
really only one binary.

* Re: [linux-lvm] thin volume usage report
@ 2017-04-17 21:07 ` Xen
From: Xen @ 2017-04-17 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux lvm

New format: