linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: Marian Csontos <mcsontos@redhat.com>
To: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>,
	Oliver Rath <rath@mglug.de>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] lvmdbusd failure(s) at ubuntu
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 13:24:32 +0100	[thread overview]

On 12/11/2017 02:53 AM, Oliver Rath wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Im playing around with the dbus-daemon, which shows me some strange
> behaviours:
>
>    * lvmdbusd doesnt run with the message
>      # lvmdbusd
>      Traceback (most recent call last):
>        File "/sbin/lvmdbusd", line 13, in <module>
>          from lvmdbusd import main
>      ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'lvmdbusd'
>      *but* the module seems to be installed:
>      # find /usr/lib/ -iname "lvmdbusd"
>      /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/lvmdbusd
>      /usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/lvmdbusd

Hmmm, what does `/usr/bin/env python3` return?

I have fixed a bug usptream: lvmdbusd must use python 3 interpreter
detected by configure script not the python3 found in $PATH.

>      Btw, lvmdbusd seems not to be installed for python2

That's true, it is not. It is python3 only.

>    * lvmdbusd is a python-script, but the installer says "python is
>      deprecated, use dbus instead". Can I use the dbus-interface (Im
>      working on some examples in Rust for this) without the lvmdbusd?

It says "python bindings". It is those python2 and python3 bindings we
plan to remove in future - it never worked really well, had problems
with configuration - and lvmdbusd is the intended replacement.

D-Bus daemon is written in python(3). And it should not require python
bindings (and actually neither the applib - I fixed that bogus error
upstream.)

It may see and rewrite to a compiled language, if that happened to be a
bottleneck.

> Is lvm via dbus possibly out of date and not longer useable?

It should not be.