linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: Roger Heflin <rogerheflin@gmail.com>
To: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] Problem with partially activate logical volume
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 05:49:25 -0500	[thread overview]

I don't believe that is going to work.

His issue is that the filesystem is refusing to work because of the
missing data.

man debugfs

It will let you manually look at the metadata and structures of the
ext2/3/4 fs.  You will likely need to use the "-c" option.

It will be very manual and you should probably read up on the fs
structure a bit.

A data recovery company could get most of the data back, but they
charge 5k-10k per TB, so likely close to 100k US$.

And the issues will be that 1/3 of the metadata was on the missing
disk, and some of the data was on the missing disk.

I was able to do debugfs /dev/sda2  (my /boot) and do an ls and list
out the files and then do a dump <filename> /tmp/junk.out and copy out
that file.

So the issue will be writing up a script to do lses and find all of
the files and dump all of the files to someplace else.