linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] " Failed to find physical volume <ZFS block device"
@ 2021-09-21 23:36 alessandro macuz
From: alessandro macuz @ 2021-09-21 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Hi all,

I sought the web for the error " Failed to find physical volume
"/dev/zd96p5"." but the closest discussion in the LVM archives I found was
one of mine back in 2014

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2014-June/msg00016.html

This time though it seems pvs fails to find the physical volume when
lvmdiskscan does recognize it. Do I have to really upgrade lvm2 or is there
another way to have pvs recognize the volume?

root@server:/etc# lvm version
  LVM version:     2.02.133(2) (2015-10-30)
  Library version: 1.02.110 (2015-10-30)
  Driver version:  4.34.0
root@ server :/etc# lvmdiskscan -l
  WARNING: only considering LVM devices
  /dev/sda5             [      74.05 GiB] LVM physical volume
  /dev/zd304p3          [      19.00 GiB] LVM physical volume
  /dev/zd96p5           [    1023.52 GiB] LVM physical volume
*  /dev/zd112p5          [    1023.52 GiB] LVM physical volume*
  0 LVM physical volume whole disks
  4 LVM physical volumes
root@ server :/etc# pvs -a /dev/zd96p5
  Failed to find physical volume "/dev/zd96p5".

Thanks, Alex.

* Re: [linux-lvm] " Failed to find physical volume <ZFS block device"
@ 2021-09-22 16:48 ` alessandro macuz
From: alessandro macuz @ 2021-09-22 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

fdisk correctly identifies the extended partition as 8e.
I wonder which kind of data lvmdiskscan and pvs use in order to list LVM
physical volumes.
Does PVS check some specific metadata within the partition without just
relying on the type of partition displayed by fdisk?

Alex

@ 2021-09-23 13:51   ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2021-09-23 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development, alessandro macuz

Dne 22. 09. 21 v 18:48 alessandro macuz napsal(a):
> fdisk correctly identifies the extended partition as 8e.
> I wonder which kind of data lvmdiskscan and pvs use in order to list LVM
> physical volumes.
> Does PVS check some specific metadata within the partition without just
> relying on the type of partition displayed by fdisk?

Hi

Yes - PVs do have header signature keeping information about PV attributes
and also has the storage area to keep lvm2 metadata.

Partition flags known to fdisk are irrelevant.

Regards

Zdenek

* Re: [linux-lvm] " Failed to find physical volume <ZFS block device"
@ 2021-09-23 18:03     ` alessandro macuz
From: alessandro macuz @ 2021-09-23 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Kabelac; +Cc: LVM general discussion and development

Thanks Zdenek,

so it might be that metadata is corrupted somehow and hence the pvs program
doesn't recognize that partition as physical volume?
That may explain why lvmdiskscan reports physical disks (by just looking at
the partition type 8e) and pvs completely ignores it.
Am I correct?

Alex

@ 2021-09-23 18:43       ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2021-09-23 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alessandro macuz; +Cc: LVM general discussion and development

Dne 23. 09. 21 v 20:03 alessandro macuz napsal(a):
> Thanks Zdenek,
>
> so it might be that metadata is corrupted somehow and hence the pvs program
> doesn't recognize that partition as physical volume?
> That may explain why lvmdiskscan reports physical disks (by just looking at
> the partition type 8e) and pvs completely ignores it.
> Am I correct?

Hi

Yes - if your disk header part has lost/damaged its content - it will not be
recognized as PV - thus completely ignored.

Note - the easiest is to check the verbose output of  'pvs -vvv' - where you
could follow up what is command doing in relatively 'readable' form - if you
can't follow it - just attach to the email for overlook why could be your disk
eventually ignored.

Note - the other reason could be the device got filtered by some filter - but
I assume you've not changed your configuration on your system ?

Zdenek

@ 2021-09-23 21:48     ` Roger Heflin
From: Roger Heflin @ 2021-09-23 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development; +Cc: alessandro macuz

If you have lvmetad running and in use then the lvm commands ask it
what the system has on it.

I have seen on random boots fairly separated systems (rhel7 versions,
and many years newer fedora systems) at random fail to find one or
more pv.s

I have disabled it at home, and in my day job we have also disabled
(across 20k+ systems) as we confirmed it had inconsistency issues
several times on a variety of our newest installs.

Stopping lvmetad and/or restarting it would generally fix it.    But
it was a source of enough random issues(often failure to mount on a
boot, so often issues that resulted in page-outs to debug)  and did
not speed things up much enough to be worth it even on devices with

@ 2021-09-26 14:22       ` alessandro macuz
From: alessandro macuz @ 2021-09-26 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Heflin; +Cc: LVM general discussion and development

Thanks Roger, Zdenek,

I have my ZVOL on my NAS exposed as LUNs. The initiator were switched off
and for unknown reason I found my NAS switched off as well.
It had run for long and I feared the worst (CPU/motherboard/etc). Instead
once powered up everything started to work again but the LUNs that seemed
to jeopardized.
I have many ZVOLs used by ESXi in which I have EVE-NG who uses LVM and such
ZVOLs have the same size so I wanted to inspect them to check the hostname.

Now some LUNs started to work normally, some others still behave weirdly. I
will run pvs on them with extra debugs to see what's going on.

Many thanks,

Alex

@ 2021-09-28 18:47         ` Roger Heflin
From: Roger Heflin @ 2021-09-28 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alessandro macuz; +Cc: LVM general discussion and development

A possibility I just debugged for a non-booting system.

If there is a partition table on the underlying device then that
device is not detected as an LVM1/2 member in at least one version of
udevd, and won't be seen nor turned on automatically by the
systemd-udev code.

lvm vgchange -ay worked to enable it (emergency mode, it was the root
pv--no udevd involvement) and eventually I found the partition table
and removed it and the machine would then boot without needing a
manual intervention.

dd if=/dev/zero of=device bs=512 count=1 was used once we determined
there was a partition signature still left (after partition deletion
with fdisk, still had a header), examined with dd if=/dev/device
bs=512 count=1 | xxd found 4 non-zero bytes in the block.