replying to my last email. do the pvcreate -uuid and then do a pvs/lvs/vgs and see if the vg/lv's look like that are there. if so do a vgchange -ay and then test mounting the fs. And if with the fs either commented out and/or ,nofail the normal os boots up work from there as you should have backup files. On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 1:01 PM Roger Heflin wrote: > is the pv in the root device vg? if not changing fstab to not mount the > missing fs(es) should get it bootable. I have a practice of putting > ",nofail" on all non-root filesystems (ie defaults,nofail) since priority > #1 is getting the machine up and on the network after a reboot such that it > can be ssh'ed to and fixed as needed. > > If it is not the root device then on the root device there should be > several prior archive copy in /etc/lvm/archive/*, and maybe some > copies in /etc/lvm/backup. > > In the vg backup file there will be a bunch of uuids, you want the > specific pv uuid and not the vg/lv uuids. Each pv has a uuid and each lv > has a uuid and the vg has a uuid. > > On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 8:39 AM Brian McCullough > wrote: > >> On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 05:06:37AM -0500, Roger Heflin wrote: >> > I would edit the vgconfig you dd'ed with an editor and make sure it >> looks >> > reasonable for what you think you had. >> >> It turns out, comparing the information that I pulled off of the drive >> with what I find in /etc/lvm/backup, that the first part of the vgconfig >> information is missing. As I said in one of my messages, the >> information that I retrieved from the disk starts at 0x1200. I don't >> know whether that is correct or not. It does not appear to be a proper >> "backup" file, which I think it should be. >> >> I rebooted ( partially ) the machine and copied the vgconfig backup file >> from that, but am somewhat concerned, because I don't seem to be able to >> match the UUIDs. The one that I seem to see in the vgconfig data that I >> pulled off of the drive vs what I got out of /etc/lvm/backup. Maybe I >> am just mis-reading it. I will continue my research for a bit. >> >> >> >> >> > When you do the pvcreate --uuid it won't use anything except the uuid >> info >> > so the rest may not need to be exactly right, if you have to do a >> > vgcfgrestore to get it to read the rest of the info will be used. >> >> Oh, thank you. I did see that things got somewhat different on the >> target drive when I did "pvcreate --uuid --restorefile." I got paranoid >> when I saw that, and re-copied the ddrestore file back to the target >> drive before I did anything else. Should I do "pvcreate --uuid >> --norestorefile," instead? Then, once it is back in the machine, do the >> pvscan and vgcfgrestore, and expect good things? >> >> >> >> > I have seen some weird disk controller failures that appeared to zero >> out >> > the first bit of the disk (enough to get the partition table, grub, and >> the >> > pv header depending on where the first partition starts). >> >> I APPEAR to have a partition table, containing an NTFS partition, an LVM >> partiton ( the one that I am concentrating on ) and a Linux partion. I >> would have thought that it was all LVM, but my memory could easily be >> wrong. >> >> >> >> > You will need to reinstall grub if this was the bootable disk, since >> there >> > were 384 bytes of grub in the sector with the partition table that you >> know >> > are missing. >> >> Fortunately, this is all data, nothing to do with the boot sequence, >> except that the machine will not boot with the missing PV. >> >> >> >> Thank you, >> Brian >> >> _______________________________________________ >> linux-lvm mailing list >> linux-lvm@redhat.com >> https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-lvm >> read the LVM HOW-TO at http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/ >> >>