Hi, Thank you Zdenek You used "makes sure" phrase in your sentence: "this makes sure you should have files at least 10 days back as well" I was refering to that ! So the whole thing is about PV metadata area and not /etc/lvm , am I correct? On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 3:03 PM Zdenek Kabelac wrote: > Dne 01. 12. 18 v 13:44 Far Had napsal(a): > > How does it _make sure_ that I've backup files younger than 10 days old? > What > > if I delete those files? > > Hi > > Archives in /etc/lvm/archive subdirs are not 'a must have' - they are > optional > and purely for admin's pleasure. > > So admin can erase them anytime he wants to - but in that case it's > probably > more clever to disable archiving in lvm.conf ;) as archiving eats some > CPU... > > lvm2 itself does *only* care about metadata stored in the 'metadata' area > in > PV header - where there is also ring-buffer which typically keeps pretty > long > history of all metadata modifications - this buffer has these days ~1MiB > in > size. So unless your metadata are pretty big - the history can be > relatively > easily extracted also out from this place for i.e. recovery purpose. > > I must admit I don't understand the 'make sure' part of your question?? > Are you aiming at some particular issue ?? > > Regards > > > Zdenek >