Thanks for the response, but I still don't get the point. Assume that I use same names for my VGs, In this case if I do for example: *retain_days = 10* and *retain_min = 15* in lvm.conf file, what is the system's behaviour when archiving backup files? Please explain specifically. On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 2:35 PM Zdenek Kabelac wrote: > Dne 28. 11. 18 v 10:51 Far Had napsal(a): > > Hi > > There are two parameters in lvm.conf which I don't understand the exact > > meaning of. > > > > 1. retain_min > > 2. retain_days > > > > What do "*the minimum number of archive files you wish to keep*" and > "*minimum > > time you wish to keep an archive file for*" mean? > > Is there any auto deletion mechanism for backup archives? > > Hi > > > There is kept history for 'created' VGs, where you can specify how many > and for how long archives for individual VG you want to store. > > This works reasonably well if you use 'same VG names' all the time. > > However - when you use lvm2 on some testing machine where the VG name is > essentially some random hash md5 lengthy string - you will sooner or later > end > with gazillion archive files in your /etc/lvm/archive directory. > > In this case it's admins responsibility to prune VG archive files that are > no > longer necessary. > > lvm2 has no idea if the VG named like: "myvg01320982woicdo8uagcd97wghcd" > will be still ever needed again - so such archives are kept mostly > forever.... > > Every command you run which modifies metadata of particular VG does care > only > about that particular VG and it's archives. > > Hopefully this explains it. > > Regards > > Zdenek >