linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] Problem with partially activate logical volume
@ 2022-07-25 14:48 Ken Bass
From: Ken Bass @ 2022-07-25 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

(fwiw: I am new to this list, so please bear with me.)

Background: I have a very large (20TB) logical volume consisting of 3
drives. One of those drives unexpectedloy died (isn't that always the case
:-)). The drive that failed happened to be the last PV. So I am assuming
that there is still 2/3 of the data still intact and, to some extent,
recoverable. Although, apparently the ext4 fs is not recognised.

I activated the LV partially (via -P). But running any utility on that (eg:
dumpe2fs, e2fsck, ...) I get many of these  in dmesg:

"Buffer I/O error on dev dm-0, logical block xxxxxxx, async page read."
The thing is, the xxxxxxx block is on the missing drive/pv.

I have also tried some recovery software, but eventually get these same
messages, and the data recovered is not really useful.

Please help! How can I get passed that dmesg error, and move on. 14TB
recovered is better than 0.

TIA
ken