linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] Need information
@ 2022-02-21 11:00 Gk Gk
From: Gk Gk @ 2022-02-21 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

I work on cloud platforms and linux. I need some guidance with an issue
observed with LVM.

How to forcefully kill a running lvm command like lvcreate ? I tried using
kill -9 but it is not killing it. Only a reboot seems to does the trick.
How to forcefully kill the lvcreate process or for that matter any running
lvm commands ?

Also how to check the progress of an lvm command like lvcreate or lvremove ?

Thanks
Kumar

* Re: [linux-lvm] Need information
@ 2022-02-22 10:05 ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2022-02-22 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development, Gk Gk

Dne 21. 02. 22 v 12:00 Gk Gk napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> I work on cloud platforms and linux. I need some guidance with an issue
> observed with LVM.
>
> How to forcefully kill a running lvm command like lvcreate ? I tried using
> kill -9 but it is not killing it. Only a reboot seems to does the trick. How
> to forcefully kill the lvcreate process or for that matter any running lvm
> commands ?
>
> Also how to check the progress of an lvm command like lvcreate or lvremove ?

Hi

1. lvm2 should not freeze - it would be some horrible bug.

2. You can't kill any userspace app which is blocked in an uninterruptible
kernel function - kill always wait till it gets to signal handler  (i.e. you
are opening&reading suspended device might be one such operation)

3. You need to tell us more about what you are doing - as without this there
is no way to give meaningful help.

Regards

Zdenek

* Re: [linux-lvm] Need information