linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] lvm question regarding start and placement of data
@ 2020-07-22  0:23 L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2020-07-22  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

I have a file in the /etc/lvm/archive dir that seems to be the name of a vg.

I see:
Data {
    seqno = 1933
    format = "lvm2" # informational
    status = ["RESIZEABLE", "READ", "WRITE"]
    extent_size = 8192        # 4 Megabytes
    max_lv = 0
    max_pv = 0
    metadata_copies = 0

    physical_volumes {
        pv0 {
            device = "/dev/sdb1"    # Hint only
            status = ["ALLOCATABLE"]
            flags = []
            dev_size = 93755273216    # 43.6582 Terabytes
            pe_start = 2048
            pe_count = 11444735    # 43.6582 Terabytes
        }
    }

    logical_volumes {
        Home {
            allocation_policy = "contiguous"
            segment_count = 1
            segment1 {
                start_extent = 0
                extent_count = 393216    # 1.5 Terabytes
                type = "striped"
                stripe_count = 1    # linear
                stripes = [ "pv0", 0 ]
            }
        }
----
It appears that the start of the physical vol is at 2048 but not sure
what the units are --
Are those 2048 physical extents of size 8192 and is said to be
equivalent to 4MB?  So the 8192 is a number of 512 byte sectors
(even though they underlying disk is 4K with 512e)?

At the start of the physical volume at 2048 should I see the logical
volume 'Home' as it starts at extent '0'?

So shouldn't I see the start of the Home partition 8MB in from the
front?  Or is there something else before physical volumns?  Does
first logical volume start at pe_start?

I.e. I'm assuming I have something wrong, because I'm not seeing anything
looking like the beginning of a file system at that location...

Thanks....

* Re: [linux-lvm] lvm question regarding start and placement of data
@ 2020-07-22  0:39 ` Alasdair G Kergon
From: Alasdair G Kergon @ 2020-07-22  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L A Walsh; +Cc: linux-lvm

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 05:23:47PM -0700, L A Walsh wrote:
> I have a file in the /etc/lvm/archive dir that seems to be the name of a vg.

Use the tools to explain what you have where:
  pvs, lvs, vgs
with -o help to see the list of fields available
and --units to select your choice of output units.

(Offset from start of disk and extent size is recorded as 512-byte sectors;
Within VGs units are extents.)

Alasdair

* Re: [linux-lvm] lvm question regarding start and placement of data
@ 2020-07-22  0:47   ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2020-07-22  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L A Walsh, linux-lvm

I don't think the tools work on bare disk (or disk images).  This is a
bit of a background, and earlier note that might explain more what I
am asking and why I am asking and not looking at the output of tools:

From: Alasdair G Kergon @ 2020-07-22  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L A Walsh; +Cc: linux-lvm

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 05:47:07PM -0700, L A Walsh wrote:
> I don't think the tools work on bare disk (or disk images).  This is a

There are ways to do it, but download a recent upstream version and read
the pvck man page which now has extra analysis facilities.

> I'm beginning to wonder if this is a circular log since I can't really

Yes - see for example Metadata slides at
  http://people.redhat.com/agk/talks/LVM2-LinuxTag2006/

Alasdair

* Re: [linux-lvm] lvm question regarding start and placement of data
@ 2020-07-22  8:46       ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2020-07-22  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L A Walsh, linux-lvm

On Tue, Jul 21, 7:38PM,  Alasdair G Kergon wrote
>On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 05:47:07PM -0700, L A Walsh wrote:
>> I don't think the tools work on bare disk (or disk images).  This is a
>
>There are ways to do it, but download a recent upstream version and read
>the pvck man page which now has extra analysis facilities.

-----
What version is recent, my distro, SuSE Tumbleweed (rolling distro),
recently put out lvm2-2.03.05, but not seeing how pvck would help
in my situation.

Right now, I have 24 disk image files, 10 of which matched another 10, so
I discarded the copies from my working set of images and currently have
14.  Two of those are supposed to be mirrors of the other two, but are
are not, so in addition to finding the order of the 10-known mirrored drives,
I have 4 that don't have matching chksums at the beginning.

I renamed the image files lda-ldn to get my head away from thinking about
the drives' current names.  lda-ldj are disk images that have a known
pair while ld{k,l,m,n} need order and correct copy identification (if there
is one, semi-presuming one is probably a good/valid copy but it's mirror
is corrupt).

Started using the 1st 4G, md5sum'd to identify mirrored pairs -- have that
data off in a hash, so if the drives come up with a different order,
I can re-ID the logical name from the md5sum.  Nxt, I was planning on
looking in other areas on the 4 mystery disks for ones that would match.

I am not seeing how I'd use pvck to find such info at this point.  It
talks about
adding more Metadata copies, but that's good for all-ok drives, and
I don't see that being useful for a 24disk RAID10, broken into
individual iimages (where I've ID'd 10 that did match).

Is there a newer version that would help in this situation?
Thanks!