linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: Sreyan Chakravarty <sreyan32@gmail.com>
To: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>
Subject: [linux-lvm] What is the use of thin snapshots if the external origin cannot be set to writable ?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 08:40:44 +0530	[thread overview]

I am looking into thin snapshots since the older COW snapshots delay my
boot enormously.

My normal root fs is on a normal "non-thin" volume.

So to make a snapshot I have boot into a live cd environment then set my
root fs volume to read-only and then set it to inactive.

Commands:

       sudo lvchange -pr vgfedora/fedora
       sudo lvchange -an vgfedora/fedora

Now I create the thin snapshot using lvcreate, after that I need to restore
my root LVS to its original state:

     sudo lvchange -ay vgfedora/fedora

      sudo lvchange -prw vgfedora/fedora

This fails with:

            Command on LV vgfedora/fedora uses options that are invalid
with LV parameters: lv_is_external_origin.

I mean what is the point of creating a snapshot if I can't change my
original volume ?

Is there some sort of resolution ?

--
Regards,