linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] System bricked after moving to thin snapshots
@ 2020-11-24 12:04 Sreyan Chakravarty
From: Sreyan Chakravarty @ 2020-11-24 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

I have cloned my original root LVM, and then migrated to the newer thin
LVMs using partclone.

Both backup and restore went off without causing any problems.

But when I am now trying to boot into my system, it asks for the encryption
LUKS passphrase but after that I am getting:

              dracut-initqueue[300]: Warning: dracut-initqueue timeout  -
starting timeout scripts

This are my current logical volumes:

#  lvs

 LV     VG       Attr       LSize   Pool   Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log
Cpy%Sync Convert
  fedora vgfedora Vwi-a-tz-- 700.00g pool00        16.61

  pool00 vgfedora twi-aotz-- 929.75g               12.50  16.61

I keep getting the error:

Scanning devices dm-0  for LVM logical volumes vgfedora/fedora
inactive '/dev/vgfedora/pool00' [929.75 GiB] inherit
inactive '/dev/vgfedora/fedora' [700.00 GiB] inherit
 modprobe: FATAL: Module dm-thin-pool not found in directory
/lib/modules/5.8.18-200.fc32.x86_64
/usr/sbin/modprobe failed: 1
Can't process LV vgfedora/fedora: thin target support missing from kernel?

I have marked the logical volumes as active via :
          lvchange -kn vgfedora/pool00
          lvchange -kn vgfedora/fedora

How can I add the dm-thin-pool module ? I can't even boot.

Please let me know if any other info is required from my side.

Need some help as I am unable to use my laptop.

Sreyan Chakravarty