linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: "Gaikwad, Hemant" <H.Gaikwad@dell.com>
To: "linux-lvm@redhat.com" <linux-lvm@redhat.com>
Subject: [linux-lvm] Need inputs: Performance issues with LVM snapshots
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 11:09:38 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,
We have been looking at LVM as an option for long term backup using the LVM snapshots. After looking at the various forums and also looking at a few LVM defects, realized that LVM could be a very good option for short term backup, but might result in performance issues if the snapshots are retained for a long time. Also read we should restrict the number of snapshots. We are thinking of keeping it to 3, but do you think that could also be a performance bottleneck. A few forum posts also suggest memory issues with using LVM snapshots. Can you please help with some data on that too. Thanks in advance for making our decision easier. Thanks

Regards,
Hemant Gaikwad

Internal Use - Confidential