linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: "Łukasz Czerpak" <lukasz.czerpak@gmail.com>
To: Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@redhat.com>
Cc: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] Thin pool vg1-thinpool1-tpool (253:3) transaction_id is 549, while expected 505.
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 14:50:46 +0100	[thread overview]

hi,

It’s Ubuntu 18.04.3:

$ lvm version
  LVM version:     2.02.176(2) (2017-11-03)
  Library version: 1.02.145 (2017-11-03)
  Driver version:  4.37.0

$ uname -a
Linux gandalf 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It’s weird as same error occurred few minutes ago. I wanted to take snapshot of thin volume and it first returned the following error:

$ lvcreate -s --name vmail-data-snapshot vg1/vmail-data
Using default stripesize 64.00 KiB.
Can't create snapshot vmail-data-snapshot as origin vmail-data is not suspended.
Failed to suspend thin snapshot origin vg1/vmail-data.

Then I tried with different volume:

$ lvcreate -s --name owncloud-data-snapshot vg1/owncloud-data
Using default stripesize 64.00 KiB.
Thin pool vg1-thinpool1-tpool (253:2) transaction_id is 574, while expected 572.
Failed to suspend vg1/thinpool1 with queued messages.

Same error when then tried to export LXD’s container:

$ lvcreate -s --name owncloud-data-snapshot vg1/owncloud-data
  Using default stripesize 64.00 KiB.
  Thin pool vg1-thinpool1-tpool (253:2) transaction_id is 574, while expected 572.
  Failed to suspend vg1/thinpool1 with queued messages.

I did vgcfgbackup and transaction_id for thinpool1 was 573. I really don’t know what’s going on.
Wondering if this might be caused by LXD running as snap which is known to not interact with system's lvmetad and thus giving out of date information. LXD is configured to use thinpool1 as storage.

Maybe after I did vgcfgbackup, updated mismatching transaction_id and restored with vgcfgrestore, I got access to data and fake impression all was fixed.

—
Best Regards,
Łukasz Czerpak