linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM in stock kernel!?
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.3.96.990826125142.20183A-100000@zeke.sympatico.ca >
@ 1999-08-26 18:30 ` Mats Wichmann
From: Mats Wichmann @ 1999-08-26 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

>PROS
>- LVM is almost a necessity when managing large amounts of storage.

although at some cost in performance since there's an additional layer of
translation before you get to the actual disk blocks....

>- Many unix people think that storage layout is one of the most difficult
>aspects of maintaining a system. LVM simply makes storage management much
>more flexible by allowing storage to be reallocated easily at anytime.

at some cost again....insulation from actual details of storage does mean you
are not necessarily making the optimal use of layout....but the benefits seem
to far outweigh these costs.

>- Folks coming to Linux from other UNIXes which use an LVM (HP, AIX etc..)
>will be familiar and comfortable with LVM concepts and will more readily
>embrace the penguin.

add at least Solaris (Solstice Disk Suite) and SGI IRIX  (xlv - a very nice
combination with the xfs filesystem) to this list.

>- The "out of storage space" is a very common problem for users especially
>new users. LVM makes resizing allocated space easier. This is perhaps the
>most common problem I here about from new users.
>- LVM is not a new concept and has been proven to be indispensible in
>other OSes, (ie. It is not just some hair-brained scheme that just makes
>things harder to learn and more complicated).
>
>CONS
>- Using LVM is by definition adding a another logical layer for storage.
>Users not already familiar with an LVM will have to do some learning, or
>not use LVM.

Not terribly familiar with Linux LVM (listening here to help become so)...other
LVMs require a large number of commands to become familar with (the AIX
LVM being the prototype which _most_ folks have followed; Solaris takes
a somewhat different approach).  Actually, a well-thought out GUI can be
a great help here.  The author of a course I teach has constructed one as
a sample which gives you drag-and-drop LVM management - in very little
tk/perl code.

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM in stock kernel!?
@ 1999-08-26 19:28   ` S. Ryan Quick
From: S. Ryan Quick @ 1999-08-26 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mats Wichmann; +Cc: linux-lvm

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM in stock kernel!?
@ 1999-08-26 20:26 ` Heinz Mauelshagen
From: Heinz Mauelshagen @ 1999-08-26 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shane Shrybman; +Cc: mge, linux-lvm

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:33:40 -0400 (EDT), Shane Shrybman wrote:

> Hi Everyone !
>
> We do not want LVM to miss the 2.4 bandwagon! It sounds like Jonny B.'s
> idea of a petition is the best course of action, (I have not heard any
> other suggestions). This petition should include a concise list of the
> pros and cons of including LVM in the kernel, and a list of people who
> agree with these points.
>
> Before we submit our petition, we should have a LVM that works with the
> 2.3 series. Heinz, what is the status on this and a 0.8 release?

A 2.3.13(+) patch is available but i've heard of instabilities
during heavy i/o (trying to write beyond the end of the device).

Well, we faced this problem back in the 2.1.x age and i already
hoped never seeing it again 8*(

Have to test with more recent upcoming kernels...

Do to activities related to upcoming events (Linux Storage Management
Workshop/Linux Congress), i don't see 0.8 before end of september 8*(

> Here is my list of pros and cons.
>
> PROS
> - LVM is almost a necessity when managing large amounts of storage.

- it is one of the key enablers to open enterprise doors

> - Many unix people think that storage layout is one of the most difficult
> aspects of maintaining a system. LVM simply makes storage management much
> more flexible by allowing storage to be reallocated easily at anytime.
> - Folks coming to Linux from other UNIXes which use an LVM (HP, AIX etc..)
> will be familiar and comfortable with LVM concepts and will more readily
> embrace the penguin.
> - The "out of storage space" is a very common problem for users especially
> new users. LVM makes resizing allocated space easier. This is perhaps the
> most common problem I here about from new users.
> - LVM is not a new concept and has been proven to be indispensible in
> other OSes, (ie. It is not just some hair-brained scheme that just makes
> things harder to learn and more complicated).

- LVM provides the information to check i/o bottlenecks in a more fine
  grained manner and enables the user to solve them

- its implementation doesn't add much complexity to the
  block i/o layer (compared to for eg. MD) and therefore avoids instabilities

> CONS
> - Using LVM is by definition adding a another logical layer for storage.
> Users not already familiar with an LVM will have to do some learning, or
> not use LVM.
>
> Comments ?
>
> Please feel free to edit and add your own points!
>
> Shane

Systemmanagement CS-TS                           T-Nova
                                                 Entwicklungszentrum Darmstadt
Heinz Mauelshagen                                Otto-Roehm-Strasse 71c
Senior Systems Engineer                          Postfach 10 05 41
                                                 64205 Darmstadt
mge@ez-darmstadt.telekom.de                      Germany
                                                 +49 6151 886-425
                                                          FAX-386

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM in stock kernel!?
@ 1999-08-26 17:33 Shane Shrybman
From: Shane Shrybman @ 1999-08-26 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-08-25 17:23         ` Luca Berra
From: Luca Berra @ 1999-08-25 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 03:28:45PM -0500, Jonny B. wrote:
> Sorry if you think this is dumb, but if I were Linus, I would like one
> note with a couple of reasons why LVM should be in the kernel and then a
> list of names of the people who support that position.  (Kinda like a
> petition.)

This is exactly what i was thinking about!!!!

Regards,
L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it
    Communications Media & Services S.r.l.

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM in stock kernel!
@ 1999-08-25  1:35         ` Shane Shrybman
From: Shane Shrybman @ 1999-08-25  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Jonny B. wrote:

> Sorry if you think this is dumb, but if I were Linus, I would like one
> note with a couple of reasons why LVM should be in the kernel and then a
> list of names of the people who support that position.  (Kinda like a
> petition.)
>
>  brassow

I can not think of anything better.

Comments?

Shane

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM in stock kernel!?
@ 1999-08-24 23:20       ` Heinz Mauelshagen
From: Heinz Mauelshagen @ 1999-08-24 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shane Shrybman; +Cc: mge, linux-lvm

> Hi,
>
> Has there been any further discussion or a resolution on how to "cast our
> votes" for lvm to be included in 2.[34] ?

I'm sorry, it has not.

But i'ld appreciate any ideas how to push LVM into the stock kernel.

> Should I send a message to Linus asking him to include it ?

As far as i understood Alan Cox, Linus wants to know, if many people
like to have the LVM in the stock kernel.

My idea just was: "let's send him mails to tell him 8*)"

Maybe there are much better ways.
I'm open to them.

> Should I get everyone I know who uses or wants use lvm with linux to also
> send Linus a note ?

Yes, please!

Kind regards,
Heinz

@ 1999-08-24 20:28       ` Jonny B.
From: Jonny B. @ 1999-08-24 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry if you think this is dumb, but if I were Linus, I would like one
note with a couple of reasons why LVM should be in the kernel and then a
list of names of the people who support that position.  (Kinda like a
petition.)

 brassow

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are more than 1,000 chemicals in coffee; of those, 26 have
been tested, of the 26, 1/2 cause cancer in laboratory rats.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@ 1999-08-24 19:32     ` Shane Shrybman
From: Shane Shrybman @ 1999-08-24 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-08-23 19:15   ` Marcus Ruehmann
From: Marcus Ruehmann @ 1999-08-23 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluca; +Cc: linux-lvm

Hi,

Luca Berra wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 21, 1999 at 10:39:30PM +0000, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:
> >
> > Hi everybody!
> >
> > Dirk Hohndel told me last week, that Linus wants to wait before putting LVM
> > into the stock kernel to see if enough people are interested to have this.
> >
> > Because a feature freeze for 2.4 is already comming up, i hereby kindly ask
> > everybody to convince Linus to put the LVM into the stock kernel.
> >
> > Send him mails please 8*)
> >
> Heinz,
>
> I agree with you that LVM should go into the mainstream kernel,
> but i'd prefer a better method than flooding linus with emails
> tho have this accomplished.
Well, what would you propose instead? I guess Alan Cox proposed to
convince Linus, that there
are lots of successful users around.

Marcus

> Regards,
> Luca
>
> --
> Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it
>     Communications Media & Services S.r.l.

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM in stock kernel!?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-08-23 17:41 ` Luca Berra
From: Luca Berra @ 1999-08-23 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

@ 1999-08-23 16:37 Drew Smith
From: Drew Smith @ 1999-08-23 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: torvalds, linux-lvm

	Hi Linus,

	(OBGush) Thanks for Linux, man - been using it for just under five
years, and it's made my life a helluva lot better; got me my job as a
unix consultant, and given order to the piles of PCs in my bedroom.

	This note is just to let you know that I'm finding LVM to be extrememly
useful, and that many of the server admins I talk to daily are very
interested in seeing this come as part of the stock distribution - many
AIX and HP/UX people that are pretty tired of paying five-figure prices
for software and support, and won't use Linux because it doesn't offer
enough familiar support for large amounts of storage.

	Just my vote; I really beleive this will help the coming of Linux into
the REALLY big server rooms of the world. :)

	Cheers,
	- Drew.

* RE: [linux-lvm] LVM in stock kernel!?
@ 1999-08-23 14:25 Adams, Mark
From: Adams, Mark @ 1999-08-23 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Marcus Ruehmann', Heinz Mauelshagen; +Cc: linux-lvm, mge, torvalds

Linus,

I agree, please put LVM in the stock kernel, it is VERY usefull and stable!

-Mark Adams
madams@jewels.com

@ 1999-08-23  7:50       ` Heinz Mauelshagen
From: Heinz Mauelshagen @ 1999-08-23  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pamvdam; +Cc: mge, linux-lvm

Hi Pascal and all 8*)

> On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 01:14:36PM +0000, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:
> >
> > Hi Pascal,
> >
> > saw your mail today concerned with writes beyond the end of the device,
> > Have seen this a couple of times before 8*(
> >
> > It was a kernel problem in the block i/o layer these days not forced
> > by the LVM but brougt to the surface by the heavy i/o load LVM striped
> > LVs pushed to the system.
>
> It was a problem.... Mmmm. In 2.3.14 it still is.
>

> > Do you see the same trouble with LVM 0.7 in older kernel releases?
>
> 2.3.13 and the 2.3.14-pre release gave the same problem. I don't
> know about earlier releases.

Oops, should have been more precise 8*)

I ment earlier versions because i've observed the 'beyond end of device'
behaviour with 2.3.13 by myself.

> Shall we bring this up to the linux kernel list?

Yes please.
Do it.

@ 1999-08-23  7:11 ` Klaus Strebel
From: Klaus Strebel @ 1999-08-23  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: torvalds; +Cc: linux-lvm

Hi Linus,

Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:
> Dirk Hohndel told me last week, that Linus wants to wait before putting LVM
> into the stock kernel to see if enough people are interested to have this.
So, you wanna hear from people who're using LVM on Linux?

Here, we are! Let's get rid of that damned partitioning fuzz. With LVM i
actually only need three 'partitions' on my boot-drive: root, swap and
my physical volume of lvm. I can create, increase, shrink and drop now
logical volumes just to test new filesystems (is there any gfs guy on
the list? I use Antimatter Ant with patch 3 on a lv and it works great
now!) or other new software. Another evident thing for me is, that i can
use Oracle8's autoextension without fear to fill my root!

So, give everybody his LVM !

Thanks for your great work

Ciao
Klaus
--
Klaus Strebel
stb@ep-ag.com

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM in stock kernel!?
@ 1999-08-22 15:07     ` pamvdam
From: pamvdam @ 1999-08-22 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heinz Mauelshagen; +Cc: pamvdam, mge, linux-lvm

On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 01:14:36PM +0000, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

> Hi Pascal,
>
> saw your mail today concerned with writes beyond the end of the device,
> Have seen this a couple of times before 8*(
>
> It was a kernel problem in the block i/o layer these days not forced
> by the LVM but brougt to the surface by the heavy i/o load LVM striped
> LVs pushed to the system.

It was a problem.... Mmmm. In 2.3.14 it still is.

> Do you see the same trouble with LVM 0.7 in older kernel releases?

2.3.13 and the 2.3.14-pre release gave the same problem. I don't
know about earlier releases. Shall we bring this up to the linux kernel list? The MD users should have noticed it too. Indeed there was VERY heavy I/O
on the stripes.

BTW: 2.3.14 needed a little extra patch wrt the 2.3.13 LVM patch. Some-
body will have ported it too, if not say so, and I'll mail you the diff.

Best regards,

	Pascal

@ 1999-08-22 11:24   ` Ulrik De Bie
From: Ulrik De Bie @ 1999-08-22 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm, torvalds

> Hi Linus,
>
> please put the LVM into 2.4, it is really usefull and working fine.
> People with need for lots of disk space (database people) are needing
> it.
>
> Features like this are strongly needed to make Linux ready for the
> enterprise!
Once, there was an idea called partitions. People never considered
big hard disks, changing disk space needs etc. Now we still have
this same system, while a lot of unices already are using lvm-like
stuff.

I think lvm is the only good long term solution for the diskspace
problem, and a lot of people will be happy having it.

Kind regards,
Ulrik De Bie
winmute@atlantique.venturi.net

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM in stock kernel!?
@ 1999-08-22 11:14   ` Heinz Mauelshagen
From: Heinz Mauelshagen @ 1999-08-22 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pamvdam; +Cc: mge, linux-lvm

@ 1999-08-22  6:16 ` pamvdam
From: pamvdam @ 1999-08-22  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heinz Mauelshagen; +Cc: linux-lvm, mge

@ 1999-08-21 22:56   ` James Pattinson
From: James Pattinson @ 1999-08-21 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm; +Cc: torvalds

I would also like to register my interest - I believe this feature should
be in the stock kernel. It is proving to be incredible useful for me and
many others!

Cheers

James

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Marcus Ruehmann wrote:

> Hi Linus,
>
> please put the LVM into 2.4, it is really usefull and working fine.
> People with need for lots of disk space (database people) are needing
> it.
>
> Features like this are strongly needed to make Linux ready for the
> enterprise!
>
> Greetings
>
> Marcus
>
> Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:
> >
> > Hi everybody!
> >
> > Dirk Hohndel told me last week, that Linus wants to wait before putting LVM
> > into the stock kernel to see if enough people are interested to have this.
> >
> > Because a feature freeze for 2.4 is already comming up, i hereby kindly ask
> > everybody to convince Linus to put the LVM into the stock kernel.
> >
> > Send him mails please 8*)
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Heinz
> > --
> >
> > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> >
> > Systemmanagement CS-TS                           T-Nova
> >                                                  Entwicklungszentrum Darmstadt
> > Heinz Mauelshagen                                Otto-Roehm-Strasse 71c
> > Senior Systems Engineer                          Postfach 10 05 41
> >                                                  64205 Darmstadt
> > mge@ez-darmstadt.telekom.de                      Germany
> >                                                  +49 6151 886-425
> >                                                           FAX-386
> > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM in stock kernel!?
@ 1999-08-21 21:17 ` Marcus Ruehmann
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marcus Ruehmann @ 1999-08-21 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heinz Mauelshagen; +Cc: linux-lvm, mge, torvalds

Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> Dirk Hohndel told me last week, that Linus wants to wait before putting LVM
> into the stock kernel to see if enough people are interested to have this.
>
> Because a feature freeze for 2.4 is already comming up, i hereby kindly ask
> everybody to convince Linus to put the LVM into the stock kernel.
>
> Send him mails please 8*)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Kind regards,
> Heinz
> --
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
> Systemmanagement CS-TS                           T-Nova
>                                                  Entwicklungszentrum Darmstadt
> Heinz Mauelshagen                                Otto-Roehm-Strasse 71c
> Senior Systems Engineer                          Postfach 10 05 41
>                                                  64205 Darmstadt
> mge@ez-darmstadt.telekom.de                      Germany
>                                                  +49 6151 886-425
>                                                           FAX-386