linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: James Pattinson <jamesp@aethos.co.uk>
To: linux-lvm@msede.com
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] vgscan -- invalid i/o protocol version
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:17:05 +0100 (BST)	[thread overview]

That's exactly the problem. In fact I found out that was the problem after
I sent the mail by looking at the output from `strace vgscan' but I
couldn't find the require major and minor numbers for the device file
anywhere in the docs.

I'm a bit stumped for now though as I don't have any spare partitions
(yet) - I tried to be cunning with loopback devices but it doesn't seem to
work:

[root@fuse /root]# dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=32 of=loop1
[root@fuse /root]# dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=32 of=loop2
[root@fuse /root]# dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=32 of=loop3
[root@fuse /root]# losetup /dev/loop1 loop1
[root@fuse /root]# losetup /dev/loop2 loop2
[root@fuse /root]# losetup /dev/loop3 loop3
[root@fuse /root]# pvcreate /dev/loop1 /dev/loop2 /dev/loop3
pvcreate -- invalid physical volume name "/dev/loop1"
pvcreate -- invalid physical volume name "/dev/loop2"
pvcreate -- invalid physical volume name "/dev/loop3"

Is there any way I can bodge it like this to try it out?

One more thing - I am a big fan of the raid patches that allow you to
autodetect raid partitions on boot - currently my machine has it's root
partition striped across two disks. What is the striping like on LVM? Is
it feasible to boot from an LVM?

Cheers,

James