linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: Paul Jakma <paul@clubi.ie>
To: Michael Marxmeier <mike@msede.com>
Cc: jan@gondor.com, ak@suse.de, linux-lvm@msede.com
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] LVM 0.8final for 2.2.15/2.2.16?
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 01:47:35 +0100 (IST)	[thread overview]

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Michael Marxmeier wrote:

> IMHO when creating a snapshot LVM could simply sync all outstanding
> buffers for the block device vialog block_fsync() (not sure if this

to be 100% safe there must be no possibility that some fs code could
run between block_fsync() and the actual point of snapshot creation i
think. (right?)

> does a lock_kernel() is might even be sufficient.
>
> Any reason why this is not suffiecient?

if you can be sure that lvm-snapshot won't be intterrupted between
the sync and the actual snapshot, then it should be ok, shouldn't it?

> Michael

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie