linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] Running multiple LVM commands in a batch
@ 2022-04-08 11:34 Demi Marie Obenour
From: Demi Marie Obenour @ 2022-04-08 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Would it be possible for LVM to support multi-operation transactions
within a volume group?  Qubes OS often needs to perform 3 LVM commands
at once and doesn’t care about the order of the operations.  It would
also be nice to get the result of the system afterwards, to avoid
needing a separate “lvm lvs” call.

The purpose of this is to improve performance, by allowing device
scanning, metadata access, and synchronizing with udev to happen once
per batch instead of once per operation.  I’m willing to promise that
there are no dependencies between operations and that the operations can
safely be performed concurrently.  I also don’t need the overall
operation to be atomic, so long as the system is always in a consistent
state and any problems result in a non-zero exit code.  Getting the
result of the individual operations would be nice but is not required.

I’m not sure what the best syntax for this would be.  For the
interactive shell, “begin” and “end” commands might be an option.
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)