On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 03:22:09PM +0200, Gionatan Danti wrote: > Il 2022-06-16 09:53 Demi Marie Obenour ha scritto: > > That seems reasonable. My conclusion is that dm-thin (which is what LVM > > uses) is not a good fit for workloads with a lot of small random writes > > and frequent snapshots, due to the 64k minimum chunk size. This also > > explains why dm-thin does not allow smaller blocks: not only would it > > only support very small thin pools, it would also have massive metadata > > write overhead. Hopefully dm-thin v2 will improve the situation. > > I think that, in this case, no free lunch really exists. I tried the > following thin provisioning methods, each with its strong & weak points: > > lvmthin: probably the more flexible of the mainline kernel options. You pay > for r/m/w only when allocating a small block (say 4K) the first time after > taking a snapshot. It is fast and well integrated with lvm command line. > Con: bad behavior on out-of-space condition Also, the LVM command line is slow, and there is very large write amplification with lots of random writes immediately after taking a snapshot. Furthermore, because of the mismatch between the dm-thin block size and the filesystem block size, fstrim might not reclaim as much space in the pool as one would expect. > xfs + reflink: a great, simple to use tool when applicable. It has a very > small granularity (4K) with no r/m/w. Cons: requires fine tuning for good > performance when reflinking big files; IO freezes during metadata copy for > reflink; a very small granularity means sequential IO is going to suffer > heavily (see here for more details: > https://marc.info/?l=linux-xfs&m=157891132109888&w=2) Also heavy fragmentation can make journal replay very slow, to the point of taking days on spinning hard drives. Dave Chinner explains this here: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-xfs/20220509230918.GP1098723@dread.disaster.area/. > btrfs: very small granularity (4K) and many integrated features. Cons: bad > performance overall, especially when using mechanical HDD Also poor out-of-space handling and unbounded worst-case latency. > vdo: is provides small granularity (4K) thin provisioning, compression and > deduplication. Cons: (still) out-of-tree; requires a powerloss protected > writeback cache to maintain good performance; no snapshot capability > > zfs: designed for the ground up for pervasive CoW, with many features and > ARC/L2ARC. Cons: out-of-tree; using small granularity (4K) means bad overall > performance; using big granularity (128K by default) is a necessary > compromise for most HDD pools. Is this still a problem on NVMe storage? HDDs will not really be fast no matter what one does, at least unless there is a write-back cache that can convert random I/O to sequential I/O. Even that only helps much if your working set fits in cache, or if your workload is write-mostly. > For what it is worth, I settled on ZFS when using out-of-tree modules is not > an issue and lvmthin otherwise (but I plan to use xfs + reflink more in the > future). > > Do you have any information to share about dm-thin v2? I heard about it some > years ago, but I found no recent info. It does not exist yet. Joe Thornber would be the person to ask regarding any plans to create it. -- Sincerely, Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers) Invisible Things Lab