linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: "Steve Keller" <keller.steve@gmx.de>
To: linux-lvm@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] Question on vgconvert
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 13:17:58 +0200	[thread overview]

Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@redhat.com> wrote:

> Wow :) where you've been hiding for last ~15 years when format V2 exists ;)
> V1 is considered obsolete for very looong time and it's been even dropped
> from support from version 2.03.

That server has indeed been set up rougly 15 years ago. And until
now, we had no need to convert or resize the PVs. Now, the machine is
virtualized and we wanted to reduce the disk size to what's actually
needed.

> So you need version 2.02.X.

Fortunately, that is exactly the version Debian stretch still has...

> Operation should be instant (it's only metadata rewrite).
>
> AFAIK no PE should be influenced.

We have done the conversion and it worked like a charm. Also the following
massive reorganization using pvmove worked fine.

Steve