linux-m68k.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Planning a Debian/Linux m68k Meeting in 2020
@ 2020-04-10  8:04 Carsten Strotmann
From: Carsten Strotmann @ 2020-04-10  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-m68k, Debian m68k

Hi,

after the nice meeting we had in 2018, I've started planning a
meeting
for 2020 (I'm an optimist).

So far, there is no date or location, but I've updated the
website:
<https://m68kmeeting.linuxkistchen.de/>

If the current COVID-19 situation will continue over the summer,
the
event could be held in cyberspace as a virtual conference. Maybe
it is
alwys a good idea to offer an virtual attendance option for people
who
cannot travel.

I'm interested in feedback on possible locations, dates, virtual
conferences and such.

Stay save

Carsten

* Re: Planning a Debian/Linux m68k Meeting in 2020
@ 2020-04-10 12:05 ` John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
       [not found]   ` <1802398089.6357995.1586526646576@mail.yahoo.com>
From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz @ 2020-04-10 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Strotmann, linux-m68k, Debian m68k

Hi!

On 4/10/20 10:04 AM, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
> after the nice meeting we had in 2018, I've started planning a meeting
> for 2020 (I'm an optimist).
>
> So far, there is no date or location, but I've updated the website:
> <https://m68kmeeting.linuxkistchen.de/>
>
> If the current COVID-19 situation will continue over the summer, the
> event could be held in cyberspace as a virtual conference. Maybe it is
> alwys a good idea to offer an virtual attendance option for people who
> cannot travel.
>
> I'm interested in feedback on possible locations, dates, virtual
> conferences and such.
I would be interested to attend a meeting in Essen this year although
I don't expect the situation to have changed by that time, so I assume
an online meeting would probably a better idea.

I assume that Jitsi would be suitable for that case.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

@ 2020-04-10 14:54     ` Christian T. Steigies
From: Christian T. Steigies @ 2020-04-10 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Alexander
  Cc: Carsten Strotmann, linux-m68k, Debian m68k, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 01:50:46PM +0000, John Alexander wrote:
>  Hi there I like the idea of Jitsi as it's much more open but from the use we have had with local LUGs we  have found it to be problematic with a larger number of clients particularly
> low bandwidth clients essentially bringing the server into a bad state.
>
> The sessions run on Zoom work much better.. I can gain access to both platforms to both platforms and we can try them out together and let you make up your own minds.

Please no zoom. It's been all over the news...

We use BigBlueButton for teaching now, I had a successful meeting with more
than 180 participants (no camera, no mike for the participants). A session
with 12 parallel video streams also worked fined. The server has a 1Gbit/s
connection, I have a simple DSL connection.

In case somebody has time to waste, you can help packaging it for Debian:

Christian

* Re: Planning a Debian/Linux m68k Meeting in 2020
@ 2020-05-20 20:36 ` Carsten Strotmann
From: Carsten Strotmann @ 2020-05-20 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-m68k, Debian m68k

Hi,

Carsten Strotmann <cas@strotmann.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> after the nice meeting we had in 2018, I've started planning a
> meeting
> for 2020 (I'm an optimist).
>
> So far, there is no date or location, but I've updated the
> website:
> <https://m68kmeeting.linuxkistchen.de/>
>
> If the current COVID-19 situation will continue over the summer,
> the
> event could be held in cyberspace as a virtual conference. Maybe
> it is
> alwys a good idea to offer an virtual attendance option for
> people who
> cannot travel.
>
> I'm interested in feedback on possible locations, dates, virtual
> conferences and such.
>
> Stay save
>
> Carsten

after collecting some feedback, we will now try to get a small
online
workshop organized to discuss a possible 2020 m68k meeting
(virtual or/and
in person).

Here is a poll for a date for the planning workshop (not for the
m68k
meeting):

<https://nuudel.digitalcourage.de/li1otkp9sBrzu9Xm>

The meeting time would be 20:00 CEST.

I operate a Jitsi Video-Conference-Server we could use for the
meeting,
but I'm also open for other options.

Greetings

@ 2020-05-20 20:51   ` John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz @ 2020-05-20 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Strotmann, linux-m68k, Debian m68k

Hi!

On 5/20/20 10:36 PM, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
> after collecting some feedback, we will now try to get a small online
> workshop organized to discuss a possible 2020 m68k meeting (virtual or/and
> in person).
>
> Here is a poll for a date for the planning workshop (not for the m68k
> meeting):
>
> <https://nuudel.digitalcourage.de/li1otkp9sBrzu9Xm>
>
> The meeting time would be 20:00 CEST.

Good idea. Added myself to the list.

> I operate a Jitsi Video-Conference-Server we could use for the meeting,
> but I'm also open for other options.

I don't have any strong preference on this but I think Jitsi works very well.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

* Re: Planning a Debian/Linux m68k Meeting in 2020
@ 2020-06-01 10:50   ` Carsten Strotmann
From: Carsten Strotmann @ 2020-06-01 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Strotmann, linux-m68k, Debian m68k

On 20.05.20 22:36, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Carsten Strotmann <cas@strotmann.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> after the nice meeting we had in 2018, I've started planning a meeting
>> for 2020 (I'm an optimist).
>>
>> So far, there is no date or location, but I've updated the website:
>> <https://m68kmeeting.linuxkistchen.de/>
>>
>> If the current COVID-19 situation will continue over the summer, the
>> event could be held in cyberspace as a virtual conference. Maybe it is
>> alwys a good idea to offer an virtual attendance option for people who
>> cannot travel.
>>
>> I'm interested in feedback on possible locations, dates, virtual
>> conferences and such.
>>
>> Stay save
>>
>> Carsten
>

> after collecting some feedback, we will now try to get a small online
> workshop organized to discuss a possible 2020 m68k meeting (virtual or/and
> in person).
>
> Here is a poll for a date for the planning workshop (not for the m68k
> meeting):
>
> <https://nuudel.digitalcourage.de/li1otkp9sBrzu9Xm>
>
> The meeting time would be 20:00 CEST.
>
> I operate a Jitsi Video-Conference-Server we could use for the meeting,
> but I'm also open for other options.

the meeting will be this coming Friday 5th June 20:00 CEST on the Jitsi
Videoconferencing server:

<https://meet.forth-ev.de/m68k>

There is currently password protection enabled for this server, the
server will be open 30 minutes before the meeting starts.

Topics to discuss (non exhaustive):

 * virtual and/or in-person meeting options
 * location
 * date and time
 * scope (Topics for the meeting)
 * Agenda for meeting (Talks? Moderated Discussions? Training for new
project members ....)

If you have additions to the Agenda let me know.

See you there

@ 2020-06-02  7:16     ` John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz @ 2020-06-02  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Strotmann, Carsten Strotmann, linux-m68k, Debian m68k

Hi Carsten!

On 6/1/20 12:50 PM, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
> the meeting will be this coming Friday 5th June 20:00 CEST on the Jitsi
> Videoconferencing server:
>
> <https://meet.forth-ev.de/m68k>
>
> There is currently password protection enabled for this server, the
> server will be open 30 minutes before the meeting starts.
>
> Topics to discuss (non exhaustive):
>
>  * virtual and/or in-person meeting options
>  * location
>  * date and time
>  * scope (Topics for the meeting)
>  * Agenda for meeting (Talks? Moderated Discussions? Training for new
> project members ....)
>
> If you have additions to the Agenda let me know.

I would suggest adding the topic "Funding of new m68k software projects"
(for example, the development of an M68000 backend for LLVM) [1].

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz