linux-m68k.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Josh Juran <jjuran@gmail.com>
To: Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au>
Cc: linux-m68k@lists.linux-m68k.org
Subject: Re: penguin (was Re: Linux-mac68k project account maintenance)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 03:11:28 -0400	[thread overview]

On Jun 15, 2020, at 12:21 AM, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jun 2020, Josh Juran wrote:
>
>> As my most recent participation was co-developing Penguin, I probably
>> don't need to be an admin. :-)
>
> If your sourceforge account is still a going concern I'll leave the commit
> bit as-is -- I'd hate to discourage possible future contributions!

Very well, I just changed the password and replaced the SSH keys.  I didn't enable external email, though.

>> I'd also be interested in any hearing about efforts to virtualize Mac OS
>> or Mac applications on Linux/m68k, as I might be able to assist with
>> those.
>
> I don't know of any MacOS virtualization efforts (kvm for linux-m68k?)

I've made a small first step -- my emulator runs Mac applications in User mode.

> Personally, I'd love to see EMILE ported to MacRelix, as a replacement for
> Penguin.

Okay, /that/ I wasn't expecting. :-)

Though now that I think about it, I can see the appeal.  The booter itself becomes a command-line-only program, whose resource fork can be empty.  You even get a rudimentary shell, a couple of scripting languages, and some filesystem-bound GUI primitives.

And while MacRelix may be bloated by 1990 standards, you're not trying to boot Linux on a 4 MiB machine.[1]  (Plus, whatever RAM it uses you get back after booting Linux.)

> Reason being, there are several Penguin bugs that result in boot
> crashes and some other bugs besides.

I got my start here fixing general Mac programming bugs in Penguin, and if any have crept back in I can certainly take a look.  I've also got a solid background in 68K machine-level programming now.

> Almost all have workarounds, but you
> have to read the docs to find out about them (and go out of your way to
> apply them).

Is Penguin still built with a non-free compiler in a non-free OS?  A port to Retro68 might help make it more maintainable.

Josh

[1] ... I hope. :-)