linux-m68k.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Using more than 1 GB in qemu-m68k-system
@ 2019-12-14 20:20 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz @ 2019-12-14 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-m68k; +Cc: Debian m68k

Hi!

When installing Debian/m68k inside qemu-m68k-system [1], we are currently limited
to 1 GB of physical memory which is due to a limit in the Linux kernel as far
as I know.

However, I also know that it is possible to run the m68k kernel on Aranym with
up to 3.5 GB of RAM. Thus, I was wondering whether there would be chance we could
get the kernel patched to support more than 1 GB of memory also on qemu-m68k-system
which currently emulates an Apple Macintosh Quadra 800 system.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

* Re: Using more than 1 GB in qemu-m68k-system
@ 2019-12-14 22:36 ` Finn Thain
From: Finn Thain @ 2019-12-14 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz; +Cc: linux-m68k, Debian m68k

On Sat, 14 Dec 2019, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Hi!
>
> When installing Debian/m68k inside qemu-m68k-system [1], we are
> currently limited to 1 GB of physical memory which is due to a limit in
> the Linux kernel as far as I know.
>
> However, I also know that it is possible to run the m68k kernel on
> Aranym with up to 3.5 GB of RAM. Thus, I was wondering whether there
> would be chance we could get the kernel patched to support more than 1
> GB of memory also on qemu-m68k-system which currently emulates an Apple
> Macintosh Quadra 800 system.
>
> Adrian
>
> > [1] https://wiki.debian.org/M68k/QemuSystemM68k

I believe that the reason for the limitation is the Mac memory map, as
Laurent pointed out in the issue tracker,
https://github.com/vivier/qemu-m68k/issues/42

It's theoretically possible to use NuBus slot space for additional RAM.

The super slot space ($6000 0000 thru $EFFF FFFF) is 2304 MB in size and
the standard slot space ($F100 0000 thru $FFFF FFFF) is another 239 MB.

I'm not sure about any hardware designs that took advantage of this
possibility (Radius Rocket perhaps?).

* Re: Using more than 1 GB in qemu-m68k-system
@ 2019-12-15  1:41   ` Brad Boyer
From: Brad Boyer @ 2019-12-15  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Finn Thain; +Cc: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz, linux-m68k, Debian m68k

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 09:36:33AM +1100, Finn Thain wrote:
> I believe that the reason for the limitation is the Mac memory map, as
> Laurent pointed out in the issue tracker,
> https://github.com/vivier/qemu-m68k/issues/42
>
> It's theoretically possible to use NuBus slot space for additional RAM.
>
> The super slot space ($6000 0000 thru $EFFF FFFF) is 2304 MB in size and
> the standard slot space ($F100 0000 thru $FFFF FFFF) is another 239 MB.
>
> I'm not sure about any hardware designs that took advantage of this
> possibility (Radius Rocket perhaps?).

On the fundamental issue, yes the Mac uses $0000 0000 to $3FFF FFFF for
RAM, with $4000 0000 the start of ROM and $5000 0000 the start of the
internal devices.

The Radius Rocket does have RAM, but I never checked if it was visible
from the host. It seems like it should be to do a few of the things
it does. I've never tried to poke at mine while in Linux. I'll add it
to the list of things to try. Even then, it would be slower than the
RAM directly on the processor bus.

We could probably emulate a fake NuBus card in qemu that is just memory
in the super slot space for that card. Can a regular driver add RAM, or
would we have to detect that in the core code somewhere?

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com

* Re: Using more than 1 GB in qemu-m68k-system
@ 2019-12-15 11:01     ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2019-12-15 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Boyer; +Cc: Finn Thain, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz, linux-m68k, Debian m68k

Hi Brad,

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 3:19 AM Brad Boyer <flar@allandria.com> wrote:
> We could probably emulate a fake NuBus card in qemu that is just memory
> in the super slot space for that card. Can a regular driver add RAM, or
> would we have to detect that in the core code somewhere?

I think a regular driver can do that, if CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTPLUG=y.
However, the latter depends on CONFIG_SPARSEMEM.

The early core code can just call memblock_add(), though.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: Using more than 1 GB in qemu-m68k-system
@ 2019-12-17  0:26       ` Finn Thain
From: Finn Thain @ 2019-12-17  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
  Cc: Brad Boyer, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz, linux-m68k, Debian m68k

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 3:19 AM Brad Boyer <flar@allandria.com> wrote:
> > We could probably emulate a fake NuBus card in qemu that is just
> > memory in the super slot space for that card. Can a regular driver add
> > RAM, or would we have to detect that in the core code somewhere?
>
> I think a regular driver can do that, if CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTPLUG=y.
> However, the latter depends on CONFIG_SPARSEMEM.
>
> The early core code can just call memblock_add(), though.

The nubus subsystem isn't available during early boot. The regular driver
option might be the best option.

BTW, the Nubus memory mapping done in arch/m68k/kernel/head.S (0xf8000000
through 0xffffffff) covers the standard slot space but not the super slot
space.