linux-man.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: Expose 'array_length()' macro in <sys/cdefs.h> or <sys/param.h>
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.21.2009301557590.5720@digraph.polyomino.org.uk>
@ 2020-09-30 20:39   ` Alejandro Colomar
From: Alejandro Colomar @ 2020-09-30 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Myers
  Cc: libc-alpha, libc-coord, libstdc++,
	gcc, linux-kernel, linux-man, Jonathan Wakely, Florian Weimer,
	Ville Voutilainen, enh, Rusty Russell, Alejandro Colomar

On 2020-09-30 17:58, Joseph Myers wrote:
> For some reason http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2529.pdf
> doesn't seem to have reached the agenda of a WG14 meeting yet, but adding
> a language feature like that to the standard would be another approach.

Hi Joseph,

Yes, that would be great!

I hope they add that to the language. When/if that happens, nitems()
could be `#define nitems(arr) _Lengthof(arr)` for std >= c2x.

In the meantime, I would add this macro to libc.

Maybe gcc could add such a great feature as an extension even before the
standard does...

Too many wishes :)

BTW, I sent a PATCH v4 that I should've sent --in-reply-to PATCH v3 in
this thread (but I forgot to do so); I'll link to it here:

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-alpha/2020-September/117986.html

Thanks,

Alex

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-09-30 20:39 UTC | newest]