linux-man.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Helge Kreutzmann <debian@helgefjell.de>
To: "\"Kai Mäkisara (Kolumbus)\"" <kai.makisara@kolumbus.fi>
Cc: "Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@gmail.com>,
	linux-man <linux-man@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Mario Blättermann" <mario.blaettermann@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Errors in man pages, here: st(4): Content
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 12:15:51 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Kai,
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 09:51:11PM +0300, "Kai Mäkisara (Kolumbus)" wrote:
> > On 20. Apr 2020, at 21.29, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) <mtk.manpages@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Spacing in tape terminology means going to the next file (or record or set mark).
> >> The drives usually support a command to go to the end of the tape. The
> >> drawback is that no information is obtained about the number of files skipped.
> >> If the driver spaces forward over files one by one, it can count how many
> >> files have been skipped.
> >>
> >> This is the technical description. But the text also says what is the consequence
> >> for a user that does not care about technology. Spacing is mentions also
> >> earlier in the text.
> >
> > So, no text changes needed here, right?
> >
> I don’t think changes are needed. But the discussion in my other answer applies
> also here.

Thanks for the explanation. I added a note in the translation file,
updated the translation accordingly and put the current translator in
charge in CC so he is aware of this discussion.

So for my side this issue can be closed.

Greetings

          Helge

P.S. For this issue I tried to search for the term "space over" but
     did not find the right pages, including Wikipedia (but I might
     have missed the right search keys).