Hi, Alex! At 2021-07-29T14:18:30+0200, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) wrote: > On 7/29/21 1:55 PM, G. Branden Robinson wrote: > Can you provide some examples of rendered output with '\ ' and '\~'? > I think I understand it, but a graphical example might be better. Sure. Here you go. [[ demo(1) General Commands Manual demo(1) Name demo - an illustration Description Observe the distinction between the handling of the “\ ” (backslash- space) and \^ (backslash-tilde) escapes. Today I was troubleshooting a segmentation fault and had occasion to run the “ps -fC troff” command. I also had to run “gdb ./build/troff ./build/core”. Here is some filler: XXXXXX Mandatory for this illustration is the filling and adjusting of the previous line. nonce 1.0 2021-07-29 demo(1) ]] In the foregoing, the spaces in "ps -fC troff" do not participate in adjustment, which leads to somewhat jarringly large inter-word gaps on the rest of the line. > > It's also, in my opinion, confusing to see and to write and speak > > about. > > I'm not sure I understood this sentence :) I mean that it "\ " can be difficult to recognize in practice; you _have_ to quote it or describe it somehow or the syntactically significant space (to roff) gets lots among the regular word-separating spaces in prose. > I'm not sure I understood the difference completely, I'll comment > about it when you provide some examples. Sure. I hope the above helps. Here's the source of the example. .TH demo 1 2021-07-29 "nonce 1.0" .SH Name demo \- an illustration .SH Description Observe the distinction between the handling of the .RB \[lq] \[rs]\~ \[rq] (backslash-space) and .B \[rs]\[ha] (backslash-tilde) escapes. .P Today I was troubleshooting a segmentation fault and had occasion to run the .RB \[lq] ps\ -fC\ troff \[rq] command. I also had to run .RB \[lq] gdb\~./build/troff\~./build/core \[rq]. . Here is some filler: XXXXXX \%Mandatory for this illustration is the filling and adjusting of the previous line. Regards, Branden