linux-man.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
To: "Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@gmail.com>
Subject: [tz] "time zone" vs "timezone" in documentation
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 09:18:36 -0700	[thread overview]

[I am cc'ing this to the tz mailing list (and changing the subject line)
to give tz readers a heads-up about the terminology issue. The question
here is: should tzdb man pages say "time zone" or "timezone"?

For context please see Michael Kerrisk's email
<https://marc.info/?m=152964652828320>, which says:

and my response <https://marc.info/?m=152964676331902>, which says:

> I deferred to POSIX for "timestamp" versus "time stamp", but
> "timezone" is a bridge too far for me.

]

On second thought, perhaps I was too hasty. We could distinguish "time
zone" in the usual English-language sense (a set of geographic locations
that currently share the same standard time offset from UTC) from
"timezone" in the POSIX sense (a history and predicted future of UTC
offsets, abbreviations and isdst flags). If so, the tzdb documentation
could be more careful about using "time zone" for the former and
"timezone" for the latter, and this would make for fewer changes to the
GNU/Linux man-pages for tzdb. I can look into this and propose an
updated set of tzdb-related patches accordingly.

If I were designing the terminology from scratch, I wouldn't specify two
nearly-identical phrases "time zone" and "timezone" to mean such
different things. However, the phrases do have the advantage of existing
practice (common English usage and POSIX, respectively).