Hi Greg, On 8/25/22 07:57, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote: > On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 01:36:10AM +0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote: >> But from your side what do we have? Just direct NAKs without much >> explanation. The only one who gave some explanation was Greg, and he >> vaguely pointed to Linus's comments about it in the past, with no precise >> pointer to it. I investigated a lot before v2, and could not find anything >> strong enough to recommend using kernel types in user space, so I pushed v2, >> and the discussion was kept. > > So despite me saying that "this is not ok", and many other maintainers > saying "this is not ok", you applied a patch with our objections on it? > That is very odd and a bit rude. > >> I would like that if you still oppose to the patch, at least were able to >> provide some facts to this discussion. > > The fact is that the kernel can not use the namespace that userspace has > with ISO C names. It's that simple as the ISO standard does NOT > describe the variable types for an ABI that can cross the user/kernel > boundry. I understand that. But user-space programs are allowed to use the standard types when calling a syscall that really uses kernel types. IMHO, it should be irrelevant for the user how the kernel decides to call a 64-bit unsigned integer, right? Or do you mean that some of the pages I modified > > Work with the ISO C standard if you wish to document such type usage, > and get it approved and then we would be willing to consider such a > change. But until then, we have to stick to our variable name types, > just like all other operating systems have to (we are not alone here.) > > Please revert your change. Thanks for asking nicely. Since there's ongoing discussion, and I don't want to make it look like ignoring it, I've reverted the patch for now. If I apply it again, I hope that it will be with some more consensus, as I've always tried to do. Sorry if I was a bit irascible yesterday. Shit happens. TL;DR: Patch reverted; asking nicely works. =) > > greg k-h Cheers, Alex -- Alejandro Colomar