linux-man.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: "Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)" <alx.manpages@gmail.com>
To: "G. Branden Robinson" <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com>
Cc: Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@gmail.com>,
	"linux-man@vger.kernel.org" <linux-man@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: nonbreaking spaces (was: [patch] nscd.conf.5: describe reloading, clarifications)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 16:22:54 +0200	[thread overview]

On 7/29/21 3:58 PM, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hi, Alex!
>
> At 2021-07-29T14:18:30+0200, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) wrote:
>> On 7/29/21 1:55 PM, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
>> Can you provide some examples of rendered output with '\ ' and '\~'?
>> I think I understand it, but a graphical example might be better.
>
> Sure.  Here you go.
>
> [[
> demo(1)                     General Commands Manual                    demo(1)
>
> Name
>         demo - an illustration
>
> Description
>         Observe  the  distinction  between the handling of the “\ ” (backslash-
>         space) and \^ (backslash-tilde) escapes.

I guess \^ is just a typo and you meant here \~.

>         Today I was troubleshooting a segmentation fault and  had  occasion  to
>         run    the    “ps -fC troff”    command.     I    also   had   to   run
>         “gdb  ./build/troff  ./build/core”.   Here  is  some   filler:   XXXXXX
>         Mandatory  for  this  illustration  is the filling and adjusting of the
>         previous line.
>
> nonce 1.0                         2021-07-29                           demo(1)
> ]]

Yes, that's what I thought you were saying.  Thanks for confirming.

> In the foregoing, the spaces in "ps -fC troff" do not participate in
> adjustment, which leads to somewhat jarringly large inter-word gaps on
> the rest of the line.
>
>>> It's also, in my opinion, confusing to see and to write and speak
>>> about.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understood this sentence :)
>
> I mean that it "\ " can be difficult to recognize in practice; you
> _have_ to quote it or describe it somehow or the syntactically
> significant space (to roff) gets lots among the regular word-separating
> spaces in prose.

Got it now.

>> I'm not sure I understood the difference completely, I'll comment
>> about it when you provide some examples.
>
> Sure.  I hope the above helps.  Here's the source of the example.

Yes.  Well, before seeing the example above, I thought that I preferred
having a single space inside commands, as then the command itself is a
bit more readable.  But since that slight increase in readability can
come with a considerable decrease in readability of the surrounding
text, I'm going to accept your proposal.

Would you mind sending a patch for man-pages(7)? :)

Thanks!

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar