Linux-man Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: "Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@gmail.com>
To: Jonny Grant <jg@jguk.org>
Cc: linux-man <linux-man@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: strcpy compared to POSIX strcpy
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 22:30:48 +0200

Hi Jonny

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 at 15:41, Jonny Grant <jg@jguk.org> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Returning to an old topic, noticed strcpy man page is different from the POSIX spec with regards to "terminating NUL character" or "null-terminated" shouldn't man pages should follow POSIX style writing "NUL"?
>
> https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/strcpy.3.html
>
> https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/strcpy.3p.html
>
> https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/strcpy.html
>
> Another function even has nul in the name
> https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/strchrnul.3.html

It's not so simple. In POSIX/SUS, you will find variously:

terminating NUL character
terminating NUL
terminating null character
terminating null byte

There's even one instance of "terminating NULL character" (in
<net/if.h>; I estimate it's a bug).

In the C standard (C11), "terminating null character" seems to be used
exclusively, but as I understand the C standard [char == byte] by
definition.

I've tried to consistently use "terminating null byte" across all
pages in man-pages. See also the discussion in man-pages(7).

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk