Linux-man Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* Errors in man pages,here: st(4): Wording?
@ 2020-04-19  6:48 Helge Kreutzmann
  2020-04-20  7:55 ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Helge Kreutzmann @ 2020-04-19  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages; +Cc: linux-man

Dear manpages maintainers.
the manpage-l10n project maintains a large number of translations of
man pages both from a large variety of sources (including manpages) as
well for a large variety of target languages.

During their work translators notice different possible issues in the
original (english) man pages. Sometiems this is a straightforward
typo, sometimes a hard to read sentence, sometimes this is a convention
not held up and sometimes we simply do not understand the original.

We use several distributions as sources and update regularly (at
least every 2 month). This means we are fairly recent (some
distributions like archlinux also update frequently) but might miss
the latest upstream version once a while, so the error might be
already fixed. We apologize and ask you to close the issue immediately
if this should be the case, but given the huge volume of projects and
the very limited number of volunteers we are not able to double check
each and every issue.

Secondly we translators see the manpages in the neutral po format,
i.e. converted and harmonized, but not the original source (be it man,
groff, xml or other). So we cannot provide a true patch (where
possible), but only an approximation which you need to translate into
your source format.

Finally the issues I'm reporting have accumulated over time and are
not always discovered by me, so sometimes my description of the
problem my be a bit limited - do not hesitate to ask so we can clarify
them.

I'm now reporting the errors for your project. As requested, each
issue is sent in an unique mail for easier tracking on your side. If
future reports should use another channel, please let me know.

**

report → support?

"The header file defines many values for I<mt_type>, but the current driver "
"reports only the generic types B<MT_ISSCSI1> (Generic SCSI-1 tape)  and "
"B<MT_ISSCSI2> (Generic SCSI-2 tape)."

-- 
      Dr. Helge Kreutzmann                     debian@helgefjell.de
           Dipl.-Phys.                   http://www.helgefjell.de/debian.php
        64bit GNU powered                     gpg signed mail preferred
           Help keep free software libre: http://www.ffii.de/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Errors in man pages,here: st(4): Wording?
  2020-04-19  6:48 Errors in man pages,here: st(4): Wording? Helge Kreutzmann
@ 2020-04-20  7:55 ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
  2020-04-24 17:55   ` Helge Kreutzmann
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2020-04-20  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helge Kreutzmann; +Cc: mtk.manpages, linux-man

On 4/19/20 8:48 AM, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Dear manpages maintainers.
> the manpage-l10n project maintains a large number of translations of
> man pages both from a large variety of sources (including manpages) as
> well for a large variety of target languages.
> 
> During their work translators notice different possible issues in the
> original (english) man pages. Sometiems this is a straightforward
> typo, sometimes a hard to read sentence, sometimes this is a convention
> not held up and sometimes we simply do not understand the original.
> 
> We use several distributions as sources and update regularly (at
> least every 2 month). This means we are fairly recent (some
> distributions like archlinux also update frequently) but might miss
> the latest upstream version once a while, so the error might be
> already fixed. We apologize and ask you to close the issue immediately
> if this should be the case, but given the huge volume of projects and
> the very limited number of volunteers we are not able to double check
> each and every issue.
> 
> Secondly we translators see the manpages in the neutral po format,
> i.e. converted and harmonized, but not the original source (be it man,
> groff, xml or other). So we cannot provide a true patch (where
> possible), but only an approximation which you need to translate into
> your source format.
> 
> Finally the issues I'm reporting have accumulated over time and are
> not always discovered by me, so sometimes my description of the
> problem my be a bit limited - do not hesitate to ask so we can clarify
> them.
> 
> I'm now reporting the errors for your project. As requested, each
> issue is sent in an unique mail for easier tracking on your side. If
> future reports should use another channel, please let me know.
> 
> **
> 
> report → support?
> 
> "The header file defines many values for I<mt_type>, but the current driver "
> "reports only the generic types B<MT_ISSCSI1> (Generic SCSI-1 tape)  and "
> "B<MT_ISSCSI2> (Generic SCSI-2 tape)."

I think the wording is correct, but am not 100% sure. Please send more info
if you have any.

Thanks,

Michael



-- 
Michael Kerrisk
Linux man-pages maintainer; http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/
Linux/UNIX System Programming Training: http://man7.org/training/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Errors in man pages,here: st(4): Wording?
  2020-04-20  7:55 ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
@ 2020-04-24 17:55   ` Helge Kreutzmann
  2020-04-24 19:29     ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Helge Kreutzmann @ 2020-04-24 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages); +Cc: linux-man


[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1026 bytes --]

Hello Michael,
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 09:55:37AM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> On 4/19/20 8:48 AM, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > **
> > 
> > report → support?
> > 
> > "The header file defines many values for I<mt_type>, but the current driver "
> > "reports only the generic types B<MT_ISSCSI1> (Generic SCSI-1 tape)  and "
> > "B<MT_ISSCSI2> (Generic SCSI-2 tape)."
> 
> I think the wording is correct, but am not 100% sure. Please send more info
> if you have any.

No, we don't have any further information. Just the feeling, because
normally driver support devices (or device types), which we thought
was the case. I fixed the translation.

Please close this report.

Greetings

      Helge

-- 
      Dr. Helge Kreutzmann                     debian@helgefjell.de
           Dipl.-Phys.                   http://www.helgefjell.de/debian.php
        64bit GNU powered                     gpg signed mail preferred
           Help keep free software "libre": http://www.ffii.de/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Errors in man pages,here: st(4): Wording?
  2020-04-24 17:55   ` Helge Kreutzmann
@ 2020-04-24 19:29     ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2020-04-24 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helge Kreutzmann; +Cc: linux-man

On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 19:55, Helge Kreutzmann <debian@helgefjell.de> wrote:
>
> Hello Michael,
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 09:55:37AM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> > On 4/19/20 8:48 AM, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > > **
> > >
> > > report → support?
> > >
> > > "The header file defines many values for I<mt_type>, but the current driver "
> > > "reports only the generic types B<MT_ISSCSI1> (Generic SCSI-1 tape)  and "
> > > "B<MT_ISSCSI2> (Generic SCSI-2 tape)."
> >
> > I think the wording is correct, but am not 100% sure. Please send more info
> > if you have any.
>
> No, we don't have any further information. Just the feeling, because
> normally driver support devices (or device types), which we thought
> was the case. I fixed the translation.
>
> Please close this report.
Ok.

-- 
Michael Kerrisk
Linux man-pages maintainer; http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/
Linux/UNIX System Programming Training: http://man7.org/training/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-04-19  6:48 Errors in man pages,here: st(4): Wording? Helge Kreutzmann
2020-04-20  7:55 ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
2020-04-24 17:55   ` Helge Kreutzmann
2020-04-24 19:29     ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)

Linux-man Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/linux-man/0 linux-man/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 linux-man linux-man/ https://lore.kernel.org/linux-man \
		linux-man@vger.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index linux-man

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.linux-man


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git