Hi Jakub, On 8/19/22 22:21, Jakub Wilk wrote: > * Michael Kerrisk , 2020-07-24 12:13: >> For 15 years or at least, I've not paid any attention to adding the >> 't' comments when I added tables to pages, and I do recall anyone >> reporting ill effects. So, I'm inclined to apply Mike's patch, but >> will hold off a moment, in case there's other feedback. > > I'm a bit late, but... > > Lintian, the Debian package checker, sets the MANROFFSEQ environment > variable to empty string as a speed optimization. This turns off loading > preprocessors that weren't explicitly declared in the source. The lack > of '\" comments can cause false positives (and maybe also false > negatives?) in Lintian. > > The use of $MANROFFSEQ for Lintian was proposed here: > https://bugs.debian.org/677874 > > Beware that the man(1) man page does not correctly explain what > $MANROFFSEQ does: https://bugs.debian.org/971009 If we can have a test that makes sure the comment is accurate, I wouldn't mind reintroducing it. If you would like to add a lint-* target that tests pages to check that they have the comment iff they need it, I'll accept it. I guess that may be asking too much work. Maybe showing how to reliably test it for a page would be enough (I could transform it into a Makefile test). I can think of a small sh(1) script that could do it, but is there any tool that already does it? Cheers, Alex -- Alejandro Colomar