Hi Alex, Alejandro Colomar writes: >> If you want to take a look at it: there is a branch "next" which you >> might prefer as it closer resembles my current work. There is a new >> toggle "-V" that can be used to completely turn off validation. >> >> I tried to assemble a Makefile that might work without a configure >> script and attach it to the end. A prefix /usr is the default value, if >> your system prefers /usr/local you can use `make prefix=/usr/local > > The default prefix in GNU should be /usr/local > > >> install`. I hope I prepared some reasonable Makefile... > > I'll have a look. Perhaps, I messed up the Makefile. Some time ago, I test-compiled lsp on Rasbpian and CentOS and -lutil was missing. That got fixed in meson.build but not in the Makefile I sent you. I'll attach a new one -- this time as plain text ;-) >>> If it's the first, how do you handle exit(1)? Is it a reference, or is it >>> just code (with the meaning exit(EXIT_FAILURE))? >> >> exit(1) gets recognized as a possible reference but validation will fail. > > `man 'exit(1)'` works for me. It brings the exit(1posix) page, from > manpages-posix. Oh yes, I didn't have the POSIX manual pages installed -- now, exit(1) gets recognized as a reference. Thank you. >> No, broken references aren't marked. Usually those unavailable >> references make sense, e.g. if a manual page references some program >> that not everyone uses. >> >> One example that I couldn't resolve so far is a reference to >> getconf(1) for example in fpatchconf(3). Up to now I was not able to >> find out which package contains getconf(1)... > > $ apt-file find /getconf.1 > glibc-source: /usr/src/glibc/debian/local/manpages/getconf.1 > libc-bin: /usr/share/man/man1/getconf.1.gz > manpages-fr: /usr/share/man/fr/man1/getconf.1.gz > > It's in libc-bin. > > BTW, did you mean fpathconf(3)? Yes, that was a typo. I'm on Gentoo and there is no libc-bin. But now I have a direction to search. Thank you, again. > >> >>>> >>>> • In windowing environments lsp does complete resizes when windows >>>> get resized. This means it also reloads the manual page to fit the >>>> new window size. >>> >>> Good. This I miss it in less(1) often. Not sure if they had any strong >>> reason to not support that. >> >> Unfortunately, info(1) also doesn't do full resizes (on my system). >> >>>> >>>> • Search for manual pages using apropos(1); in the current most basic >>>> form it lists all known manual pages ready for text search and >>>> visiting referenced manual pages. >>> >>> What does it bring that `apropos * | less` can't do? If you're going the >>> of info(1) with full-blown system, it seems reasonable, but I never really >>> liked all that if it's just a new terminal and a command away from me. >> >> You get a pseudo-file from where you can reach any manual page on the >> system. Originally I thought this to help novice users but since lsp is >> my system's PAGER I use it more often than expected. I'm missing the >> ability to give keywords to apropos but that's just a matter of time to >> get fixed. > > I guess that's a matter of preferring navigation in some interactive > program (to me, info(1) style), vs standalone simple commands where you > first find what you want, then run it. > > I don't find that magic much more comfortable than > > $ apropos sysctl > ... oh, I find many freebsd pages, let's grep them out ... > $ apropos sysctl | grep -v freebsd > ... hmm, let's see system ... > $ apropos system | grep -v freebsd > ... okay, now this shows a lot of stuff, let's remove man1 ... > $ apropos system | grep -v -e freebsd -e '(1' > ... I don't want systemd either ... > $ apropos system | grep -v -e freebsd -e '(1' -e systemd > ... let's sort by section and navigate through that list ... > $ apropos system | grep -v -e freebsd -e '(1' -e systemd | sort -k2 | less > > Find some pages that may be interesting, note them down, and open > them one by one, in different tabs, until I find I wanted to read > proc(5), and close everything else. As I wrote: I (also) had novice users in mind when I implented the Apropos pseudo-file (it can also be used for verification, that's another use of it). I often watch novice users getting frustrated about all the typing that is needed to get useful results. I know, first of all, they need to train their "keyboard abilities" but some help here and there could perhaps help to keep them on board or minimize frustration... > Which brings us to a valid point Eli raised. Some pages are an > unreadable mess, and I think proc(5) is one of those that needs > a big split into smaller pages such as proc_pid_attr(5). Yes, one of the points where I thought pagers with additional features could help... Cheers, Dirk