From: Brian Starkey <brian.starkey@arm.com>
To: Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
Cc: Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>,
	Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch>,
	Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca>,
	"linux-media@vger.kernel.org" <linux-media@vger.kernel.org>,
	jonathan.chai@arm.com,
	dri-devel <dri-devel@lists.freedesktop.org>
Subject: Re: DRM Format Modifiers in v4l2
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 16:23:48 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Laurent,

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 05:51:33PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>Hi Brian,
>
>On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 13:32:01 EEST Brian Starkey wrote:

>> > I was thinking along similar lines, but it could cause some problems with
>> > the ABI since applications currently assume that no fourcc will appear
>> > twice when enumerating formats. Admittedly, we never explicitly said in
>> > the spec that that can't happen, but it is kind of expected.
>> >
>> > There are ways around that, but if possible I'd like to avoid that.
>> >
>> > In theory there are up to 128 bits available but I can't help thinking
>> > that if you create more than, say, 64 modifiers for a HW platform you
>> > have a big mess anyway.
>> >
>> > If I am wrong, then I need to know because then I can prepare for it
>> > (or whoever is going to actually implement this...)
>>
>> You're probably right, but I can't speak for everyone. From the
>> current state of drm_fourcc.h it looks like 64 would be plenty (there
>> aren't anywhere near 64 modifiers even defined right now). Adding in
>> the Arm compression formats will expand it a lot, but still not to 64
>> (yet).
>
>Do all those modifiers make sense on the V4L2 side ? I expect that some
>modifiers will mostly be used for buffers shared between the GPU and the
>display engine, while others will be used by codecs. The sets will likely
>overlap, but might not be identical.

All of the ones from drm_fourcc.h - I expect not. In the case of Arm's
framebuffer compression though, it's used in all our media IPs;
Display, GPU and Video, and ideally on all data exchanged between
them. For the most part the modifiers describing it could apply to
all three.

There's also the question of what you're calling a codec - mem2mem
rotation blocks/scalers/etc. exposed via V4L2 would likely want the
same set as any display device which consumes their output (which I
think puts them firmly in the shared between the XXX and display
engine camp).

Cheers,
-Brian