* Re: [linux-sunxi] Cedrus driver
       [not found]     ` <693e8786-af83-9d77-0fd4-50fa1f6a135f@micronovasrl.com>
@ 2017-11-16 11:02       ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2017-11-16 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti
  Cc: Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, robh+dt, mark.rutland, linux, wens,
	devicetree, linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel, thomas, linux-media

I'm not sure why there's so many recipients (Russell, Rob or Mark have
a limited interest in this I assume), and why you're also missing some
key ones (like the v4l2 list).

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 11:37:30AM +0100, Giulio Benetti wrote:
> Il 16/11/2017 11:31, Andreas Baierl ha scritto:
> > Am 16.11.2017 um 11:13 schrieb Giulio Benetti:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > Hello,
> > > I'm wondering why cedrus
> > > https://github.com/FlorentRevest/linux-sunxi-cedrus has never been
> > > merged with linux-sunxi sunxi-next.
> > >
> > Because it is not ready to be merged. It depends on the v4l2 request
> > API, which was not merged and which is re-worked atm.
> > Also, sunxi-cedrus itself is not in a finished state and is not as
> > feature-complete to be merged. Anyway it might be something for
> > staging... Has there been a [RFC] on the mailing list at all?
>
> Where can I find a list of TODOs to get it ready to be merged?

Assuming that the request API is in, we'd need to:
  - Finish the MPEG4 support
  - Work on more useful codecs (H264 comes to my mind)
  - Implement the DRM planes support for the custom frame format
  - Implement the DRM planes support for scaling
  - Test it on more SoCs

Or something along those lines.

> > > I see it seems to be dead, no commit in 1 year.
> >
> > Yes, because the author did this during an internship, which ended ...
> > Afaik nobody picked up his work yet.

That's not entirely true. Some work has been done by Thomas (in CC),
especially on the display engine side, but last time we talked his
work was not really upstreamable.

We will also resume that effort starting next march.

> > > since we need video acceleration on A20 and A33.
> > >
> > ack.
>
> By the way, when you answer to google group, is it right that all CC I
> inserted are not inserted too?
> Because this causes mess with mailing lists (seems to me).

Yes, that's one of the many brain-damaged thing happening on that
list...

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [linux-sunxi] Cedrus driver
@ 2017-11-16 12:30         ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2017-11-16 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens, linux-kernel, thomas,
	linux-media

Hi,

Il 16/11/2017 12:02, Maxime Ripard ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure why there's so many recipients (Russell, Rob or Mark have
> a limited interest in this I assume), and why you're also missing some
> key ones (like the v4l2 list).

added in cc linux-media mailing list that appears to be the right one
for v4l2 and removed Russell, Rob and Mark

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 11:37:30AM +0100, Giulio Benetti wrote:
>>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>> Because it is not ready to be merged. It depends on the v4l2 request
>>> API, which was not merged and which is re-worked atm.
>>> Also, sunxi-cedrus itself is not in a finished state and is not as
>>> feature-complete to be merged. Anyway it might be something for
>>> staging... Has there been a [RFC] on the mailing list at all?
>>
>> Where can I find a list of TODOs to get it ready to be merged?
>
> Assuming that the request API is in, we'd need to:
>    - Finish the MPEG4 support
>    - Work on more useful codecs (H264 comes to my mind)
>    - Implement the DRM planes support for the custom frame format
>    - Implement the DRM planes support for scaling
>    - Test it on more SoCs
>
> Or something along those lines.

Lot of work to do

>>> Yes, because the author did this during an internship, which ended ...
>>> Afaik nobody picked up his work yet.
>
> That's not entirely true. Some work has been done by Thomas (in CC),
> especially on the display engine side, but last time we talked his
> work was not really upstreamable.
>
> We will also resume that effort starting next march.

Is it possible a preview on a separate Reporitory to start working on now?
Expecially to start porting everything done by FlorentRevest to mainline,
admitted you've not already done.

>>> ack.
>>
>> By the way, when you answer to google group, is it right that all CC I
>> inserted are not inserted too?
>> Because this causes mess with mailing lists (seems to me).
>
> Yes, that's one of the many brain-damaged thing happening on that
> list...

Who can I ask to modify it?
Most of all, is it possible?

--
Giulio Benetti
R&D Manager &

MICRONOVA SRL
Sede: Via A. Niedda 3 - 35010 Vigonza (PD)
Tel. 049/8931563 - Fax 049/8931346
Cod.Fiscale - P.IVA 02663420285
Capitale Sociale € 26.000 i.v.
Iscritta al Reg. Imprese di Padova N. 02663420285
Numero R.E.A. 258642

* Re: [linux-sunxi] Cedrus driver
@ 2017-11-16 12:53           ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2017-11-16 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti
  Cc: Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens, linux-kernel, thomas,
	linux-media

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 01:30:52PM +0100, Giulio Benetti wrote:

> > > Where can I find a list of TODOs to get it ready to be merged?
> >
> > Assuming that the request API is in, we'd need to:
> >    - Finish the MPEG4 support
> >    - Work on more useful codecs (H264 comes to my mind)
> >    - Implement the DRM planes support for the custom frame format
> >    - Implement the DRM planes support for scaling
> >    - Test it on more SoCs
> >
> > Or something along those lines.
>
> Lot of work to do

Well... If it was fast and easy it would have been done already :)

> > That's not entirely true. Some work has been done by Thomas (in CC),
> > especially on the display engine side, but last time we talked his
> > work was not really upstreamable.
> >
> > We will also resume that effort starting next march.
>
> Is it possible a preview on a separate Reporitory to start working on now?
> Expecially to start porting everything done by FlorentRevest to mainline,
> admitted you've not already done.

I'm not sure what you're asking for. Florent's work *was* on mainline.

Maxime

--

@ 2017-11-16 12:57             ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2017-11-16 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens, linux-kernel, thomas,
	linux-media

Il 16/11/2017 13:53, Maxime Ripard ha scritto:

>>> Assuming that the request API is in, we'd need to:
>>>     - Finish the MPEG4 support
>>>     - Work on more useful codecs (H264 comes to my mind)
>>>     - Implement the DRM planes support for the custom frame format
>>>     - Implement the DRM planes support for scaling
>>>     - Test it on more SoCs
>>>
>>> Or something along those lines.
>>
>> Lot of work to do
>
> Well... If it was fast and easy it would have been done already :)

:))

>>> That's not entirely true. Some work has been done by Thomas (in CC),
>>> especially on the display engine side, but last time we talked his
>>> work was not really upstreamable.
>>>
>>> We will also resume that effort starting next march.
>>
>> Is it possible a preview on a separate Reporitory to start working on now?
>> Expecially to start porting everything done by FlorentRevest to mainline,
>> admitted you've not already done.
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking for. Florent's work *was* on mainline.

and then they took it off because it was unmantained?
You've spoken about Thomas(in CC) not ready,
maybe I could help on that if it's public to accelerate.
If I'm able to of course, this is my primary concern.

Otherwise, in which way can I help improving it to make it accept to
linux-sunxi?
Starting from Florent's work and porting it to sunxi-next to begin?
And after that adding all features you've listed?
Tell me what I can do(I repeat, if I'm able to).

> Maxime

Thank you

--

@ 2017-11-16 13:12               ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2017-11-16 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti, Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens, linux-kernel, thomas,
	linux-media

On 16/11/17 13:57, Giulio Benetti wrote:

>>> Lot of work to do
>>
>> Well... If it was fast and easy it would have been done already :)
>
> :))

>>> Is it possible a preview on a separate Reporitory to start working on now?
>>> Expecially to start porting everything done by FlorentRevest to mainline,
>>> admitted you've not already done.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you're asking for. Florent's work *was* on mainline.
>
> and then they took it off because it was unmantained?
> You've spoken about Thomas(in CC) not ready,
> maybe I could help on that if it's public to accelerate.
> If I'm able to of course, this is my primary concern.
>
> Otherwise, in which way can I help improving it to make it accept to linux-sunxi?
> Starting from Florent's work and porting it to sunxi-next to begin?
> And after that adding all features you've listed?
> Tell me what I can do(I repeat, if I'm able to).

The bottleneck is that the Request API is not mainlined. We restarted work
on it after a meeting a few weeks back where we all agreed on the roadmap
so hopefully it will go into mainline Q1 or Q2 next year.

That said, you can use Florent's patch series for further development.
It should be relatively easy to convert it to the final version of the
Request API. Just note that the public API of the final Request API will
be somewhat different from the old version Florent's patch series is using.

Regards,

	Hans

@ 2017-11-16 13:17                 ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2017-11-16 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil, Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens, linux-kernel, thomas,
	linux-media

Hi Hans,

Il 16/11/2017 14:12, Hans Verkuil ha scritto:
> On 16/11/17 13:57, Giulio Benetti wrote:

>>> Well... If it was fast and easy it would have been done already :)
>>
>> :))

>>> I'm not sure what you're asking for. Florent's work *was* on mainline.
>>
>> and then they took it off because it was unmantained?
>> You've spoken about Thomas(in CC) not ready,
>> maybe I could help on that if it's public to accelerate.
>> If I'm able to of course, this is my primary concern.
>>
>> Otherwise, in which way can I help improving it to make it accept to linux-sunxi?
>> Starting from Florent's work and porting it to sunxi-next to begin?
>> And after that adding all features you've listed?
>> Tell me what I can do(I repeat, if I'm able to).
>
> The bottleneck is that the Request API is not mainlined. We restarted work
> on it after a meeting a few weeks back where we all agreed on the roadmap
> so hopefully it will go into mainline Q1 or Q2 next year.
>
> That said, you can use Florent's patch series for further development.
> It should be relatively easy to convert it to the final version of the
> Request API. Just note that the public API of the final Request API will
> be somewhat different from the old version Florent's patch series is using.

So I'm going to try soon to :
1) adapt that patchset to sunxi-next
2) add A20 support
3) add A33 support
4) after mainlined APIs, merge

Alright?

Regards

--

@ 2017-11-16 13:39                   ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2017-11-16 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens,

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 02:17:08PM +0100, Giulio Benetti wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Il 16/11/2017 14:12, Hans Verkuil ha scritto:

> > > :))

> > > and then they took it off because it was unmantained?
> > > You've spoken about Thomas(in CC) not ready,
> > > maybe I could help on that if it's public to accelerate.
> > > If I'm able to of course, this is my primary concern.
> > >
> > > Otherwise, in which way can I help improving it to make it accept to linux-sunxi?
> > > Starting from Florent's work and porting it to sunxi-next to begin?
> > > And after that adding all features you've listed?
> > > Tell me what I can do(I repeat, if I'm able to).
> >
> > The bottleneck is that the Request API is not mainlined. We restarted work
> > on it after a meeting a few weeks back where we all agreed on the roadmap
> > so hopefully it will go into mainline Q1 or Q2 next year.
> >
> > That said, you can use Florent's patch series for further development.
> > It should be relatively easy to convert it to the final version of the
> > Request API. Just note that the public API of the final Request API will
> > be somewhat different from the old version Florent's patch series is using.
>
> So I'm going to try soon to :
> 1) adapt that patchset to sunxi-next
> 2) add A20 support
> 3) add A33 support
> 4) after mainlined APIs, merge

That sounds good. Thomas already has the support for the A20, and as I
was saying, there is someone that is going to work full time on this
in a couple monthes on our side.

I'll set up a git repo on github so that we can collaborate until the
request API is ready.

Maxime

--

@ 2017-11-16 13:39                   ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2017-11-16 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti, Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens, linux-kernel, thomas,
	linux-media

On 16/11/17 14:17, Giulio Benetti wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Il 16/11/2017 14:12, Hans Verkuil ha scritto:

>>> :))

>>> and then they took it off because it was unmantained?
>>> You've spoken about Thomas(in CC) not ready,
>>> maybe I could help on that if it's public to accelerate.
>>> If I'm able to of course, this is my primary concern.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, in which way can I help improving it to make it accept to linux-sunxi?
>>> Starting from Florent's work and porting it to sunxi-next to begin?
>>> And after that adding all features you've listed?
>>> Tell me what I can do(I repeat, if I'm able to).
>>
>> The bottleneck is that the Request API is not mainlined. We restarted work
>> on it after a meeting a few weeks back where we all agreed on the roadmap
>> so hopefully it will go into mainline Q1 or Q2 next year.
>>
>> That said, you can use Florent's patch series for further development.
>> It should be relatively easy to convert it to the final version of the
>> Request API. Just note that the public API of the final Request API will
>> be somewhat different from the old version Florent's patch series is using.
>
> So I'm going to try soon to :
> 1) adapt that patchset to sunxi-next
> 2) add A20 support
> 3) add A33 support
> 4) after mainlined APIs, merge
>
> Alright?

Sounds reasonable.

Regards,

	Hans

@ 2017-11-16 13:42                     ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2017-11-16 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens,

Il 16/11/2017 14:39, Maxime Ripard ha scritto:
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 02:17:08PM +0100, Giulio Benetti wrote:
>> Hi Hans,

>>> The bottleneck is that the Request API is not mainlined. We restarted work
>>> on it after a meeting a few weeks back where we all agreed on the roadmap
>>> so hopefully it will go into mainline Q1 or Q2 next year.
>>>
>>> That said, you can use Florent's patch series for further development.
>>> It should be relatively easy to convert it to the final version of the
>>> Request API. Just note that the public API of the final Request API will
>>> be somewhat different from the old version Florent's patch series is using.
>>
>> So I'm going to try soon to :
>> 1) adapt that patchset to sunxi-next
>> 2) add A20 support
>> 3) add A33 support
>> 4) after mainlined APIs, merge
>
> That sounds good. Thomas already has the support for the A20, and as I
> was saying, there is someone that is going to work full time on this
> in a couple monthes on our side.
>
> I'll set up a git repo on github so that we can collaborate until the
> request API is ready.

Great!
Write me when you've got news.

Thank you very much!

--

@ 2017-11-16 19:59         ` Nicolas Dufresne
From: Nicolas Dufresne @ 2017-11-16 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard, Giulio Benetti
  Cc: Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, robh+dt, mark.rutland, linux, wens,

Le jeudi 16 novembre 2017 à 12:02 +0100, Maxime Ripard a écrit :
> Assuming that the request API is in, we'd need to:
>   - Finish the MPEG4 support
>   - Work on more useful codecs (H264 comes to my mind)

For which we will have to review the tables and make sure they match
the spec (the easy part). But as an example, that branch uses a table
that merge Mpeg4 VOP and VOP Short Header. We need to make sure it does
not pause problems or split it up. On top of that, ST and Rockchip
teams should give some help and sync with these tables on their side.
We also need to consider decoder like Tegra 2. In H264, they don't need
frame parsing, but just the PPS/SPS data (might just be parsed in the
driver, like CODA ?). There is other mode of operation, specially in
H264/HEVC low latency, where the decoder will be similar, but will
accept and process slices right away, without waiting for the full
frame.

We also need some doc, to be able to tell the GStreamer and FFMPEG team
how to detect and handle these decoder. I doubt the libv4l2 proposed
approach will be used for these two projects since they already have
their own parser and would like to not parse twice. As an example, we
need to document that V4L2_PIX_FMT_MPEG2_FRAME implies using the
Request API and specific CID. We should probably also ping the Chrome
Devs, which probably have couple of pending branches around this.

regards,
Nicolas

* Re: [linux-sunxi] Cedrus driver
@ 2017-11-17  8:01           ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2017-11-17  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dufresne
  Cc: Giulio Benetti, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, robh+dt,
	mark.rutland, linux, wens, devicetree, linux-arm-kernel,
	linux-kernel, thomas, linux-media

Hi Nicolas,

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 02:59:55PM -0500, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> Le jeudi 16 novembre 2017 à 12:02 +0100, Maxime Ripard a écrit :
> > Assuming that the request API is in, we'd need to:
> >   - Finish the MPEG4 support
> >   - Work on more useful codecs (H264 comes to my mind)
>
> For which we will have to review the tables and make sure they match
> the spec (the easy part). But as an example, that branch uses a table
> that merge Mpeg4 VOP and VOP Short Header. We need to make sure it does
> not pause problems or split it up. On top of that, ST and Rockchip
> teams should give some help and sync with these tables on their side.
> We also need to consider decoder like Tegra 2. In H264, they don't need
> frame parsing, but just the PPS/SPS data (might just be parsed in the
> driver, like CODA ?). There is other mode of operation, specially in
> H264/HEVC low latency, where the decoder will be similar, but will
> accept and process slices right away, without waiting for the full
> frame.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but what branches and tables are you
talking about here?

> We also need some doc, to be able to tell the GStreamer and FFMPEG team
> how to detect and handle these decoder. I doubt the libv4l2 proposed
> approach will be used for these two projects since they already have
> their own parser and would like to not parse twice. As an example, we
> need to document that V4L2_PIX_FMT_MPEG2_FRAME implies using the
> Request API and specific CID. We should probably also ping the Chrome
> Devs, which probably have couple of pending branches around this.

We've had a prototype that wasn't based on libv4l but was based on the
VA-API, and it's been working great for us so far.

Maxime

--

@ 2017-11-28  0:03                       ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2017-11-28  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens,
	linux-kernel, thomas, linux-media

Hi Maxime,

Il 16/11/2017 14:42, Giulio Benetti ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> Il 16/11/2017 14:39, Maxime Ripard ha scritto:
>> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 02:17:08PM +0100, Giulio Benetti wrote:
>>> Hi Hans,

>>> So I'm going to try soon to :
>>> 1) adapt that patchset to sunxi-next
>>> 2) add A20 support
>>> 3) add A33 support
>>> 4) after mainlined APIs, merge
>>
>> That sounds good. Thomas already has the support for the A20, and as I
>> was saying, there is someone that is going to work full time on this
>> in a couple monthes on our side.
>>
>> I'll set up a git repo on github so that we can collaborate until the
>> request API is ready.

Any news about git repo?
When do you plan to do it more or less?

--

@ 2017-11-28  8:35                         ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2017-11-28  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens,

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 01:03:59AM +0100, Giulio Benetti wrote:
> Hi Maxime,
>
> Il 16/11/2017 14:42, Giulio Benetti ha scritto:
> > Hi,

> > > That sounds good. Thomas already has the support for the A20, and as I
> > > was saying, there is someone that is going to work full time on this
> > > in a couple monthes on our side.
> > >
> > > I'll set up a git repo on github so that we can collaborate until the
> > > request API is ready.
>
> Any news about git repo?
> When do you plan to do it more or less?

I started to do it yesterday.

https://github.com/free-electrons/linux-cedrus
https://github.com/free-electrons/libva-cedrus

Maxime

--

@ 2017-11-28  9:50                           ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2017-11-28  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens,

Il 28/11/2017 09:35, Maxime Ripard ha scritto:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 01:03:59AM +0100, Giulio Benetti wrote:
>> Hi Maxime,
>>
>> Il 16/11/2017 14:42, Giulio Benetti ha scritto:
>>> Hi,

>> Any news about git repo?
>> When do you plan to do it more or less?
>
> I started to do it yesterday.
>
> https://github.com/free-electrons/linux-cedrus
> https://github.com/free-electrons/libva-cedrus

Great, I'm cloning.
1st: have it working with A20 with kernel as is and libva as buildroot
package
2nd: porting to sunxi-next branch of linux-sunxi and check libva if can
work as is

Thank you

--

@ 2017-11-28 11:20                             ` Thomas van Kleef
From: Thomas van Kleef @ 2017-11-28 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti, Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens,
	linux-kernel, linux-media

On 28-11-17 10:50, Giulio Benetti wrote:
> Hi Maxime,
>
> Il 28/11/2017 09:35, Maxime Ripard ha scritto:
>> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 01:03:59AM +0100, Giulio Benetti wrote:
>>> Hi Maxime,

>>> Any news about git repo?
>>> When do you plan to do it more or less?
>>
>> I started to do it yesterday.
>>
>> https://github.com/free-electrons/linux-cedrus
>> https://github.com/free-electrons/libva-cedrus
>
> Great, I'm cloning.
> 1st: have it working with A20 with kernel as is and libva as buildroot package
> 2nd: porting to sunxi-next branch of linux-sunxi and check libva if can work as is
>
> Thank you
> So, I have been rebasing to 4.14.0 and have the cedrus driver working.
I have pulled linux-mainline 4.14.0. Then pulled the requests2 branch from Hans
Verkuil's media_tree. I have a patch available of the merge between these 2
branches.
After this I pulled the sunxi-cedrus repository from Florent Revests github. I
believe this one is the same as the ones you are cloning right now.
I have merged this and have a patch available for this as well.

So to summarize:
 o pulled linux 4.14 from:
    https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
 o pulled requests2 from:
    https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=requests2
    will be replaced with the work, when it is done, in:
     https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=ctrl-req-v2
 o pulled linux-sunxi-cedrus from:
    https://github.com/FlorentRevest/linux-sunxi-cedrus

 o merged and made patch between linux4.14 and requests2
 o merged and made patch with linux-sunxi-cedrus
 o Verified that the video-engine is decofing mpeg-2 on the Allwinner A20.

So maybe if someone is interested in this, I could place the patches somewhere?
Just let me know.

It would be nice to be able to play a file, so I would have to prepare our
custom player and make a patch between the current sunxi-cedrus-drv-video and
the one on https://github.com/FlorentRevest/sunxi-cedrus-drv-video.
So I will start with this if there is any interest.

Should I be working in sunxi-next I wonder?

@ 2017-11-28 11:26                               ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2017-11-28 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas van Kleef, Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens,
	linux-kernel, linux-media

Hi Thomas,

Il 28/11/2017 12:20, Thomas van Kleef ha scritto:
> On 28-11-17 10:50, Giulio Benetti wrote:
>> Hi Maxime,

>>> I started to do it yesterday.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/free-electrons/linux-cedrus
>>> https://github.com/free-electrons/libva-cedrus
>>
>> Great, I'm cloning.
>> 1st: have it working with A20 with kernel as is and libva as buildroot package
>> 2nd: porting to sunxi-next branch of linux-sunxi and check libva if can work as is
>>
>> Thank you
>> So, I have been rebasing to 4.14.0 and have the cedrus driver working.
> I have pulled linux-mainline 4.14.0. Then pulled the requests2 branch from Hans
> Verkuil's media_tree. I have a patch available of the merge between these 2
> branches.
> After this I pulled the sunxi-cedrus repository from Florent Revests github. I
> believe this one is the same as the ones you are cloning right now.
> I have merged this and have a patch available for this as well.
>
> So to summarize:
>   o pulled linux 4.14 from:
>      https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
>   o pulled requests2 from:
>      https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=requests2
>      will be replaced with the work, when it is done, in:
>       https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=ctrl-req-v2
>   o pulled linux-sunxi-cedrus from:
>      https://github.com/FlorentRevest/linux-sunxi-cedrus
>
>   o merged and made patch between linux4.14 and requests2
>   o merged and made patch with linux-sunxi-cedrus
>   o Verified that the video-engine is decofing mpeg-2 on the Allwinner A20.
>
> So maybe if someone is interested in this, I could place the patches somewhere?
> Just let me know.

Sure it's interesting!
You could setup your github repo with all you patches applied as
commits, but I think you should work against linux-sunxi sunxi-next branch.

> It would be nice to be able to play a file, so I would have to prepare our
> custom player and make a patch between the current sunxi-cedrus-drv-video and
> the one on https://github.com/FlorentRevest/sunxi-cedrus-drv-video.
> So I will start with this if there is any interest.

I am interested for sure.

> Should I be working in sunxi-next I wonder?

Yes, this is the best way, cedrus is very specific to sunxi.
So before working on mainline, I think the best is to work un sunxi-next
branch.

Is it right Maxime?

--

@ 2017-11-28 11:29                                 ` Thomas van Kleef
From: Thomas van Kleef @ 2017-11-28 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti, Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens,
	linux-kernel, linux-media

Hi,

On 28-11-17 12:26, Giulio Benetti wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Il 28/11/2017 12:20, Thomas van Kleef ha scritto:
>> On 28-11-17 10:50, Giulio Benetti wrote:
>>> Hi Maxime,

>>> Great, I'm cloning.
>>> 1st: have it working with A20 with kernel as is and libva as buildroot package
>>> 2nd: porting to sunxi-next branch of linux-sunxi and check libva if can work as is
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>> So, I have been rebasing to 4.14.0 and have the cedrus driver working.
>> I have pulled linux-mainline 4.14.0. Then pulled the requests2 branch from Hans
>> Verkuil's media_tree. I have a patch available of the merge between these 2
>> branches.
>> After this I pulled the sunxi-cedrus repository from Florent Revests github. I
>> believe this one is the same as the ones you are cloning right now.
>> I have merged this and have a patch available for this as well.
>>
>> So to summarize:
>>   o pulled linux 4.14 from:
>>      https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
>>   o pulled requests2 from:
>>      https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=requests2
>>      will be replaced with the work, when it is done, in:
>>       https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=ctrl-req-v2
>>   o pulled linux-sunxi-cedrus from:
>>      https://github.com/FlorentRevest/linux-sunxi-cedrus
>>
>>   o merged and made patch between linux4.14 and requests2
>>   o merged and made patch with linux-sunxi-cedrus
>>   o Verified that the video-engine is decofing mpeg-2 on the Allwinner A20.
>>
>> So maybe if someone is interested in this, I could place the patches somewhere?
>> Just let me know.
>
> Sure it's interesting!
> You could setup your github repo with all you patches applied as commits, but I think you should work against linux-sunxi sunxi-next branch.
>

>> It would be nice to be able to play a file, so I would have to prepare our
>> custom player and make a patch between the current sunxi-cedrus-drv-video and
>> the one on https://github.com/FlorentRevest/sunxi-cedrus-drv-video.
>> So I will start with this if there is any interest.
>
> I am interested for sure.
>

>> Should I be working in sunxi-next I wonder?
>
> Yes, this is the best way, cedrus is very specific to sunxi.
> So before working on mainline, I think the best is to work un sunxi-next branch.
Is the requests2 api in sunxi-next?

> Is it right Maxime?

Thomas

* Re: [linux-sunxi] Cedrus driver
@ 2017-11-28 11:54                                   ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2017-11-28 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas van Kleef, Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens,
	linux-kernel, linux-media

Hi Thomas,

Il 28/11/2017 12:29, Thomas van Kleef ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> On 28-11-17 12:26, Giulio Benetti wrote:
>> Hi Thomas,

>>> I have pulled linux-mainline 4.14.0. Then pulled the requests2 branch from Hans
>>> Verkuil's media_tree. I have a patch available of the merge between these 2
>>> branches.
>>> After this I pulled the sunxi-cedrus repository from Florent Revests github. I
>>> believe this one is the same as the ones you are cloning right now.
>>> I have merged this and have a patch available for this as well.
>>>
>>> So to summarize:
>>>    o pulled linux 4.14 from:
>>>       https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
>>>    o pulled requests2 from:
>>>       https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=requests2
>>>       will be replaced with the work, when it is done, in:
>>>        https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=ctrl-req-v2
>>>    o pulled linux-sunxi-cedrus from:
>>>       https://github.com/FlorentRevest/linux-sunxi-cedrus
>>>
>>>    o merged and made patch between linux4.14 and requests2
>>>    o merged and made patch with linux-sunxi-cedrus
>>>    o Verified that the video-engine is decofing mpeg-2 on the Allwinner A20.
>>>
>>> So maybe if someone is interested in this, I could place the patches somewhere?
>>> Just let me know.
>>
>> Sure it's interesting!
>> You could setup your github repo with all you patches applied as commits, but I think you should work against linux-sunxi sunxi-next branch.
>>

>>> It would be nice to be able to play a file, so I would have to prepare our
>>> custom player and make a patch between the current sunxi-cedrus-drv-video and
>>> the one on https://github.com/FlorentRevest/sunxi-cedrus-drv-video.
>>> So I will start with this if there is any interest.
>>
>> I am interested for sure.
>>

>>> Should I be working in sunxi-next I wonder?
>>
>> Yes, this is the best way, cedrus is very specific to sunxi.
>> So before working on mainline, I think the best is to work un sunxi-next branch.
> Is the requests2 api in sunxi-next?

It should be there,
take a look at latest commit of yesterday:
https://github.com/linux-sunxi/linux-sunxi/commit/df7cacd062cd84c551d7e72f15b1af6d71abc198

--

@ 2017-11-28 12:26                               ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2017-11-28 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas van Kleef
  Cc: Giulio Benetti, Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux,
	wens, linux-kernel, linux-media

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 12:20:59PM +0100, Thomas van Kleef wrote:
> > So, I have been rebasing to 4.14.0 and have the cedrus driver working.
> I have pulled linux-mainline 4.14.0. Then pulled the requests2 branch from Hans
> Verkuil's media_tree. I have a patch available of the merge between these 2
> branches.
> After this I pulled the sunxi-cedrus repository from Florent Revests github. I
> believe this one is the same as the ones you are cloning right now.
> I have merged this and have a patch available for this as well.
>
> So to summarize:
>  o pulled linux 4.14 from:
>     https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
>  o pulled requests2 from:
>     https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=requests2
>     will be replaced with the work, when it is done, in:
>      https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=ctrl-req-v2
>  o pulled linux-sunxi-cedrus from:
>     https://github.com/FlorentRevest/linux-sunxi-cedrus
>
>  o merged and made patch between linux4.14 and requests2
>  o merged and made patch with linux-sunxi-cedrus
>  o Verified that the video-engine is decofing mpeg-2 on the Allwinner A20.
>
> So maybe if someone is interested in this, I could place the patches somewhere?
> Just let me know.

Please create a pull request on the github repo. The point we set it
up was to share code. Forking repos and so on is kind of pointless.

> It would be nice to be able to play a file, so I would have to prepare our
> custom player and make a patch between the current sunxi-cedrus-drv-video and
> the one on https://github.com/FlorentRevest/sunxi-cedrus-drv-video.
> So I will start with this if there is any interest.
>
> Should I be working in sunxi-next I wonder?

I'd rather stick on 4.14. sunxi-next wouldn't bring any benefit, and
we want to provide something that works first, and always merging next
will always distract us from the actual code.

Maxime

--

@ 2017-11-28 12:31                                     ` Thomas van Kleef
From: Thomas van Kleef @ 2017-11-28 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti, Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux, wens,
	linux-kernel, linux-media

Hi Giulio

On 28-11-17 12:54, Giulio Benetti wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Il 28/11/2017 12:29, Thomas van Kleef ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 28-11-17 12:26, Giulio Benetti wrote:
>>> Hi Thomas,

>>> Sure it's interesting!
>>> You could setup your github repo with all you patches applied as commits, but I think you should work against linux-sunxi sunxi-next branch.

Hope this helps.
https://github.com/thomas-vitsch/linux-a20-cedrus

>>> I am interested for sure.

>>> Yes, this is the best way, cedrus is very specific to sunxi.
>>> So before working on mainline, I think the best is to work un sunxi-next branch.
>> Is the requests2 api in sunxi-next?
>
> It should be there,
> take a look at latest commit of yesterday:
> https://github.com/linux-sunxi/linux-sunxi/commit/df7cacd062cd84c551d7e72f15b1af6d71abc198

Thank you for the info. I will start working in the sunxi-next branch soon then.

>>> Is it right Maxime?

>> Thomas

Thomas van Kleef
Vitsch Electronics
http://Vitsch.nl/
http://VitschVPN.nl/
tel: +31-(0)40-7113051
KvK nr: 17174380
BTW nr: NL142748201B01
--
Machines en netwerken op afstand beheren? Vitsch VPN oplossing!
Kijk voor meer informatie op: http://www.VitschVPN.nl/

* Re: [linux-sunxi] Cedrus driver
@ 2017-11-28 12:52                                     ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2017-11-28 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti
  Cc: Thomas van Kleef, Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi,
	linux, wens, linux-kernel, linux-media

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 12:54:08PM +0100, Giulio Benetti wrote:

> > > Yes, this is the best way, cedrus is very specific to sunxi.
> > > So before working on mainline, I think the best is to work un sunxi-next branch.
> >
> > Is the requests2 api in sunxi-next?
>
> It should be there,
> take a look at latest commit of yesterday:
> https://github.com/linux-sunxi/linux-sunxi/commit/df7cacd062cd84c551d7e72f15b1af6d71abc198

No, it shouldn't. sunxi-next is about patches that are related to
sunxi that have been accepted in their respective maintainers'
branches.

While we could argue about the first criteria, the second one is not
respected.

And really, just develop against 4.14. sunxi-next is rebased, and it's
just not something you can base some work on.

Maxime

--

@ 2017-11-28 13:03                                       ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2017-11-28 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Thomas van Kleef, Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi,
	linux, wens, linux-kernel, linux-media

Hi,

>>> Is the requests2 api in sunxi-next?
>>
>> It should be there,
>> take a look at latest commit of yesterday:
>> https://github.com/linux-sunxi/linux-sunxi/commit/df7cacd062cd84c551d7e72f15b1af6d71abc198
>
> No, it shouldn't. sunxi-next is about patches that are related to
> sunxi that have been accepted in their respective maintainers'
> branches.
>
> While we could argue about the first criteria, the second one is not
> respected.
>
> And really, just develop against 4.14. sunxi-next is rebased, and it's
> just not something you can base some work on.

Where do we can work on then?
Should Thomas setup his own github repo?
What about the one you’ve set up @free-electrons?

@ 2017-11-28 13:07                                         ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2017-11-28 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti
  Cc: Thomas van Kleef, Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi,

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 02:03:43PM +0100, Giulio Benetti wrote:
> Hi,

> >> It should be there,
> >> take a look at latest commit of yesterday:
> >> https://github.com/linux-sunxi/linux-sunxi/commit/df7cacd062cd84c551d7e72f15b1af6d71abc198
> >
> > No, it shouldn't. sunxi-next is about patches that are related to
> > sunxi that have been accepted in their respective maintainers'
> > branches.
> >
> > While we could argue about the first criteria, the second one is not
> > respected.
> >
> > And really, just develop against 4.14. sunxi-next is rebased, and it's
> > just not something you can base some work on.
>
> Where do we can work on then?
> Should Thomas setup his own github repo?
> What about the one you’ve set up @free-electrons?

I already said that, please make pull requests to that repo.

Maxime

--

@ 2017-11-28 13:12                                           ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2017-11-28 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Thomas van Kleef, Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi,

Il 28/11/2017 14:07, Maxime Ripard ha scritto:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 02:03:43PM +0100, Giulio Benetti wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> No, it shouldn't. sunxi-next is about patches that are related to
>>> sunxi that have been accepted in their respective maintainers'
>>> branches.
>>>
>>> While we could argue about the first criteria, the second one is not
>>> respected.
>>>
>>> And really, just develop against 4.14. sunxi-next is rebased, and it's
>>> just not something you can base some work on.
>>
>> Where do we can work on then?
>> Should Thomas setup his own github repo?
>> What about the one you’ve set up @free-electrons?
>
> I already said that, please make pull requests to that repo.

Sorry I can't understand which repo,
do you mean https://github.com/free-electrons/linux-cedrus?

And sorry for dumb question,
but which branch do I have to use if I want to develop a project with sunxi?
Directly mainline patched with sunxi-next branch,
or another branch @linux-sunxi?

Thank you for you patience.

--

@ 2017-11-28 14:51                                 ` Thomas van Kleef
From: Thomas van Kleef @ 2017-11-28 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Giulio Benetti, Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux,

On 28-11-17 13:26, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 12:20:59PM +0100, Thomas van Kleef wrote:
>>> So, I have been rebasing to 4.14.0 and have the cedrus driver working.
>> I have pulled linux-mainline 4.14.0. Then pulled the requests2 branch from Hans
>> Verkuil's media_tree. I have a patch available of the merge between these 2
>> branches.
>> After this I pulled the sunxi-cedrus repository from Florent Revests github. I
>> believe this one is the same as the ones you are cloning right now.
>> I have merged this and have a patch available for this as well.
>>
>> So to summarize:
>>  o pulled linux 4.14 from:
>>     https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
>>  o pulled requests2 from:
>>     https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=requests2
>>     will be replaced with the work, when it is done, in:
>>      https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=ctrl-req-v2
>>  o pulled linux-sunxi-cedrus from:
>>     https://github.com/FlorentRevest/linux-sunxi-cedrus
>>
>>  o merged and made patch between linux4.14 and requests2
>>  o merged and made patch with linux-sunxi-cedrus
>>  o Verified that the video-engine is decofing mpeg-2 on the Allwinner A20.
>>
>> So maybe if someone is interested in this, I could place the patches somewhere?
>> Just let me know.
>
> Please create a pull request on the github repo. The point we set it
> up was to share code. Forking repos and so on is kind of pointless.

So, I started with linux-mainline 4.14 and created a pull request with that commit.
Never made one before so if I did something wrong tell me.

The following changes since commit e1d1ea549b57790a3d8cf6300e6ef86118d692a3:

  Merge tag 'fbdev-v4.15' of git://github.com/bzolnier/linux (2017-11-20 21:50:24 -1000)

are available in the git repository at:

  https://github.com/thomas-vitsch/linux-a20-cedrus.git

for you to fetch changes up to 508ad12eb737fde07f4a25446ed941a01480d6dc:

  Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/thomas-vitsch/linux-a20-cedrus into linux-sunxi-cedrus-a20 (2017-11-28 15:28:18 +0100)

Bob Ham (1):
      sunxi-cedrus: Fix compilation errors from bad types under GCC 6.2

Florent Revest (8):
      cherry-pick sunxi_cedrus
      cherry-pick sunxi_cedrus
      v4l: Add MPEG4 low-level decoder API control
      media: platform: Add Sunxi Cedrus decoder driver
      sunxi-cedrus: Add a MPEG 2 codec
      sunxi-cedrus: Add a MPEG 4 codec
      sunxi-cedrus: Add device tree binding document
      cherry-pick sunxi_cedrus

Hans Verkuil (15):
      videodev2.h: add max_reqs to struct v4l2_query_ext_ctrl
      videodev2.h: add request to v4l2_ext_controls
      videodev2.h: add request field to v4l2_buffer.
      vb2: add allow_requests flag
      v4l2-ctrls: add request support
      v4l2-ctrls: add function to apply a request.
      v4l2-ctrls: implement delete request(s)
      v4l2-ctrls: add VIDIOC_REQUEST_CMD
      v4l2: add initial V4L2_REQ_CMD_QUEUE support
      vb2: add helper function to queue request-specific buffer.
      v4l2-device: keep track of registered video_devices
      v4l2-device: add v4l2_device_req_queue
      vivid: add request support for video capture.
      v4l2-ctrls: add REQ_KEEP flag
      Documentation: add v4l2-requests.txt

Icenowy Zheng (2):
      sunxi-cedrus: add syscon support
      cherry-pick sunxi_cedrus

Thomas van Kleef (11):
      Appears that the requests2 API is currently based on linux 3.9 :(. Made some changes that needed to be merged manually, let's hope I did not make to many errors
      Fixed last missing calls for a buildable kernel with the requests2 API. Tested with a mock mem2mem device which selects the VIDEOBUF2_CORE.
      Kconfig option used to enable the VIDEOBUF2_CORE
      Fix sun5i-a13 merge errors. Mainline has moved some device nodes which resulted in nodes existing multiple times in device trees.
      o Added reserved memory region for the video-engine.     o Added device node for the video engine.
      style commit
      Apply patch which adds requests2 branch from media-tree:     https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=requests2
      Apply patch which adds linux-sunxi-cedrus from: https://github.com/FlorentRevest/sunxi-cedrus-drv-video
      Add reserved region and video-engine node to sun7i.dtsi
      Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/thomas-vitsch/linux-a20-cedrus into linux-a20-cedrus
      Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/thomas-vitsch/linux-a20-cedrus into linux-sunxi-cedrus-a20

Vitsch Electronics (1):
      Update README

 .../devicetree/bindings/media/sunxi-cedrus.txt     |   44 +
 Documentation/video4linux/v4l2-requests.txt        |  233 ++
 README                                             |   18 +-
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun5i-a13-difrnce-dit4350.dts    |   50 -
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun5i-a13.dtsi                   |   30 +
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun7i-a20.dtsi                   |   44 +
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun8i-a33.dtsi                   |   45 +-
 arch/arm/configs/xpo_player_v1_defconfig           | 3507 ++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/media/platform/Kconfig                     |   13 +
 drivers/media/platform/Makefile                    |    1 +
 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/Makefile       |    4 +
 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus.c |  285 ++
 .../platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_common.h    |  104 +
 .../media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_dec.c |  588 ++++
 .../media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_dec.h |   33 +
 .../media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_hw.c  |  180 +
 .../media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_hw.h  |   39 +
 .../platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_mpeg2.c     |  152 +
 .../platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_mpeg4.c     |  140 +
 .../platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_regs.h      |  170 +
 drivers/media/platform/vivid/vivid-core.c          |    2 +
 drivers/media/platform/vivid/vivid-ctrls.c         |    4 +
 drivers/media/platform/vivid/vivid-kthread-cap.c   |    2 +
 drivers/media/usb/cpia2/cpia2_v4l.c                |    1 +
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-compat-ioctl32.c      |    4 +-
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-ctrls.c               |  460 ++-
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-dev.c                 |    9 +
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-device.c              |   26 +
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-ioctl.c               |  121 +-
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-subdev.c              |   78 +-
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf2-v4l2.c           |   28 +
 include/media/v4l2-ctrls.h                         |   35 +-
 include/media/v4l2-dev.h                           |    3 +
 include/media/v4l2-device.h                        |    6 +
 include/media/v4l2-fh.h                            |    4 +
 include/media/videobuf2-core.h                     |    3 +
 include/media/videobuf2-v4l2.h                     |    4 +
 include/uapi/linux/v4l2-controls.h                 |   68 +
 include/uapi/linux/videodev2.h                     |   43 +-
 create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/sunxi-cedrus.txt
 create mode 100644 Documentation/video4linux/v4l2-requests.txt
 delete mode 100644 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun5i-a13-difrnce-dit4350.dts
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/configs/xpo_player_v1_defconfig
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/Makefile
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_common.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_dec.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_dec.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_hw.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_hw.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_mpeg2.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_mpeg4.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_regs.h

>> It would be nice to be able to play a file, so I would have to prepare our
>> custom player and make a patch between the current sunxi-cedrus-drv-video and
>> the one on https://github.com/FlorentRevest/sunxi-cedrus-drv-video.
>> So I will start with this if there is any interest.
>>
>> Should I be working in sunxi-next I wonder?
>
> I'd rather stick on 4.14. sunxi-next wouldn't bring any benefit, and
> we want to provide something that works first, and always merging next
> will always distract us from the actual code.
>
> Maxime

Thomas van Kleef
Vitsch Electronics
http://Vitsch.nl/
http://VitschVPN.nl/
tel: +31-(0)40-7113051
KvK nr: 17174380
BTW nr: NL142748201B01
--

@ 2017-11-28 15:17                                             ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2017-11-28 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti
  Cc: Thomas van Kleef, Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi,

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 02:12:31PM +0100, Giulio Benetti wrote:

> > > Where do we can work on then?
> > > Should Thomas setup his own github repo?
> > > What about the one you’ve set up @free-electrons?
> >
> > I already said that, please make pull requests to that repo.
>
> Sorry I can't understand which repo,
> do you mean https://github.com/free-electrons/linux-cedrus?

Yes.

> And sorry for dumb question,
> but which branch do I have to use if I want to develop a project with sunxi?
> Directly mainline patched with sunxi-next branch,
> or another branch @linux-sunxi?

Use 4.14.

Maxime

--

@ 2017-11-28 15:19                                               ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2017-11-28 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Thomas van Kleef, Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi,

Il 28/11/2017 16:17, Maxime Ripard ha scritto:

>>> I already said that, please make pull requests to that repo.
>>
>> Sorry I can't understand which repo,
>> do you mean https://github.com/free-electrons/linux-cedrus?
>
> Yes.

Ok

>> And sorry for dumb question,
>> but which branch do I have to use if I want to develop a project with sunxi?
>> Directly mainline patched with sunxi-next branch,
>> or another branch @linux-sunxi?
>
> Use 4.14.

Ok,

thanks again.
Best regards

--

@ 2017-11-28 15:35                                   ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2017-11-28 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas van Kleef
  Cc: Giulio Benetti, Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux,

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 03:51:14PM +0100, Thomas van Kleef wrote:
> [...]
>       Fixed last missing calls for a buildable kernel with the requests2 API. Tested with a mock mem2mem device which selects the VIDEOBUF2_CORE.
>       Kconfig option used to enable the VIDEOBUF2_CORE
>       Fix sun5i-a13 merge errors. Mainline has moved some device nodes which resulted in nodes existing multiple times in device trees.
>       o Added reserved memory region for the video-engine.     o Added device node for the video engine.
>       style commit
>       Apply patch which adds requests2 branch from media-tree:     https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git?h=requests2
>       Apply patch which adds linux-sunxi-cedrus from: https://github.com/FlorentRevest/sunxi-cedrus-drv-video
>       Add reserved region and video-engine node to sun7i.dtsi

So there's a couple of issues with those patches (the pull request
itself is fine though :))

I'll try to break them down as much as possible.

A) If you want to have proper commit logs, you will usually do two
   things: first create a commit title, which is what appears in the
   above summary. That commit title should not be longer than 72
   characters, and it should explain roughly what you're trying to
   do. The actual description should be in the commit log itself, and
   you should document what is the issue you're trying to fix /
   improve, how you're doing it and why you've done it that way.

   The final line of that commit log shoud be your Signed-off-by,
   which is your agreement to the Developer Certificate of Origin
   (DCO), that you'll find documented here:
   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst#n429

B) Please base your work on a known release (4.14) and not the middle
   of Linus' branch.

C) I'm not sure what you tried to do with the application of the
   request API patches (such as e1ca861c168f) but we want to have the
   whole commits in there, and not a patch adding all of them. This
   will make the work so much easier to rebase to a later version when
   some patches wouldn't have been merged and some would have.

D) Rebase :)

Thanks!
Maxime

--

@ 2017-11-29 15:36                                     ` Thomas van Kleef
From: Thomas van Kleef @ 2017-11-29 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Giulio Benetti, Hans Verkuil, Andreas Baierl, linux-sunxi, linux,
	wens, linux-kernel, linux-media

Hi Maxime,

> So there's a couple of issues with those patches (the pull request
> itself is fine though :))
>
> I'll try to break them down as much as possible.
>
> A) If you want to have proper commit logs, you will usually do two
>    things: first create a commit title, which is what appears in the
>    above summary. That commit title should not be longer than 72
>    characters, and it should explain roughly what you're trying to
>    do. The actual description should be in the commit log itself, and
>    you should document what is the issue you're trying to fix /
>    improve, how you're doing it and why you've done it that way.
Ah, so the pull-request commits are not proper, I will try do that from
now on. these last ones are quite bad.

>    The final line of that commit log shoud be your Signed-off-by,
>    which is your agreement to the Developer Certificate of Origin
>    (DCO), that you'll find documented here:
>    https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst#n429
>
> B) Please base your work on a known release (4.14) and not the middle
>    of Linus' branch.
Should be fixed now.

> C) I'm not sure what you tried to do with the application of the
>    request API patches (such as e1ca861c168f) but we want to have the
>    whole commits in there, and not a patch adding all of them. This
>    will make the work so much easier to rebase to a later version when
>    some patches wouldn't have been merged and some would have.
>
> D) Rebase :)
Thank you. Giulio asked before if I could add a repo and commit the
patches so that is what I did. I will push a different code where the
full history is present in commits.

So, I got it setup. As I did test it before on the slightly newer branch,
I did not verify, again, if the video-decoder worked on this specific
state of the linux kernel, 4.14. But it should x:
If you rather wait for me to tell if it work let me know, but we could do
a pull request then again anyway.

So here is the new pull-request
The following changes since commit bebc6082da0a9f5d47a1ea2edc099bf671058bd4:

  Linux 4.14 (2017-11-12 10:46:13 -0800)

are available in the git repository at:

  https://github.com/thomas-vitsch/linux-a20-cedrus.git linux-sunxi-cedrus

for you to fetch changes up to 26701eca67a07ab002c7fd18038fa299b9589939:

  Fix the sun5i and sun8i dts files (2017-11-29 15:18:05 +0100)

Bob Ham (1):
      sunxi-cedrus: Fix compilation errors from bad types under GCC 6.2

Florent Revest (8):
      Both mainline and cedrus had added their own formats with both are added.
      v4l: Add MPEG2 low-level decoder API control
      v4l: Add MPEG4 low-level decoder API control
      media: platform: Add Sunxi Cedrus decoder driver
      sunxi-cedrus: Add a MPEG 2 codec
      sunxi-cedrus: Add a MPEG 4 codec
      sunxi-cedrus: Add device tree binding document
      ARM: dts: sun5i: Use video-engine node

Hans Verkuil (15):
      videodev2.h: add max_reqs to struct v4l2_query_ext_ctrl
      videodev2.h: add request to v4l2_ext_controls
      videodev2.h: add request field to v4l2_buffer.
      vb2: add allow_requests flag
      v4l2-ctrls: add request support
      v4l2-ctrls: add function to apply a request.
      v4l2-ctrls: implement delete request(s)
      v4l2-ctrls: add VIDIOC_REQUEST_CMD
      v4l2: add initial V4L2_REQ_CMD_QUEUE support
      vb2: add helper function to queue request-specific buffer.
      v4l2-device: keep track of registered video_devices
      v4l2-device: add v4l2_device_req_queue
      vivid: add request support for video capture.
      v4l2-ctrls: add REQ_KEEP flag
      Documentation: add v4l2-requests.txt

Icenowy Zheng (2):
      sunxi-cedrus: add syscon support
      ARM: dts: sun8i: add video engine support for A33

Thomas van Kleef (4):
      Merged requests2 into linux 4.14
      Fix merge error
      Remove reject file from merge
      Fix the sun5i and sun8i dts files

 .../devicetree/bindings/media/sunxi-cedrus.txt     |  44 ++
 Documentation/video4linux/v4l2-requests.txt        | 233 ++++++++
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun5i-a13-difrnce-dit4350.dts    |  50 --
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun5i-a13.dtsi                   |  30 ++
 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun8i-a33.dtsi                   |  39 ++
[...]
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-device.c              |  28 +
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-ioctl.c               | 121 ++++-
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-subdev.c              |  78 ++-
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf2-v4l2.c           |  28 +
 include/media/v4l2-ctrls.h                         |  45 +-
 include/media/v4l2-dev.h                           |   3 +
 include/media/v4l2-device.h                        |   6 +
 include/media/v4l2-fh.h                            |   4 +
 include/media/videobuf2-core.h                     |   3 +
 include/media/videobuf2-v4l2.h                     |   3 +
 include/uapi/linux/v4l2-controls.h                 |  68 +++
 include/uapi/linux/videodev2.h                     |  41 +-
 create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/sunxi-cedrus.txt
 create mode 100644 Documentation/video4linux/v4l2-requests.txt
 delete mode 100644 arch/arm/boot/dts/sun5i-a13-difrnce-dit4350.dts
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/Makefile
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_common.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_dec.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_dec.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_hw.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_hw.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_mpeg2.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_mpeg4.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/sunxi-cedrus/sunxi_cedrus_regs.h

> Thanks!
> Maxime

Thomas van Kleef
Vitsch Electronics