From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+samsung@kernel.org>
To: Samuel CHEMLA <chemla.samuel@gmail.com>
Cc: Sean Young <sean@mess.org>, Gregor Jasny <gjasny@googlemail.com>,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@s-opensource.com>
Subject: Re: [Bug report] dvbv5-zap crash dvb-tool ARMHF builds
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 12:31:15 -0300	[thread overview]

Em Tue, 26 Mar 2019 16:10:33 +0100
Samuel CHEMLA <chemla.samuel@gmail.com> escreveu:

> Hi,
>

> > Earlier you said "random hangs are back". When this happens, does the whole
> > device become unresponsive or just dvbv5-zap?
> The device completely freeze, you can't even switch numlock on/off.

dvbv5-tools can't hang the machine. this is very likely happening due to
a Kernel crash.

> I said "the issue is back", it is because I **thought** it was gone.
> To be more precise:
> - on raspberry zero W, the issue is gone since Mauro's patch
> (https://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-utils.git/commit/?id=22b06353227e04695b1b0a9622b896b948adba89)
> - on raspberry 2, the issue, it is still there and the patch has no
> effect (the issue was and is still there)

RPi2 has a serious issue with their USB ports: on devices that require
more than a few mW to work, it causes several device disconnection and
re-connection, as it cannot sustain the required 5V.

Depending on how fast this happens, it could be triggering some Kernel
bug.

That affects most V4L and DVB devices. You should either use a powered
USB 2.0 hub (with may be problematic, as the USB host driver on RPi
has issues - and may cause data loss on high sustained ISOC traffic,
specially when used with hubs) or a device that has its own power
supply, like DVBSky T680C or S960.

> > Since this issue is "back",
> > I wouldn't be surprised this is unrelated to the fixes in 1.12.7 and 1.16.4.
> The issue doesn't appear anymore on raspberry zero W since Mauro's commit.
> So it did improve on that platform.
>
> > It would be useful to see the output from dmesg (best thing would be after
> > the issue occurs).
> You can't, device is frozen.
> Logs are not flushed to disk, and journalctl -f freeze before showing anything

You can use a serial port in order to get the logs. On a serial console,
use something like:

	# dmesg -n 8

In order to make sure it will display all Kernel messages at console.

> > Also what dvb hardware are you using?
> I reproduced it with different two tuners: rtl2832U from RTL-SDR.COM
> and a TerraTec Cinergy T Stick+

None of them supports an external power supply.

Thanks,
Mauro