* [ANN] Media summit in Lisbon at September
@ 2019-06-30 16:44 Mauro Carvalho Chehab
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2019-06-30 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi all,

We are organizing a media mini-summit in Lisbon to happen in September,
at the same week as the Linux Plumber Conference and the Kernel Summit.

We're still discussing the details about that.

In principle, it will be a free event for the ones registered
to Linux Plumbers Conference, happening between Sept 9-11.
They have a room available that we could use for the meeting on that
period of time, but we need to adjust to avoid conflicts with other
interesting micro-conferences that will happen in parallel (or
eventually do it outside that period, but that would be harder to
organize).

I'll let you know more details once we got it.

If you plan to attend, please let me know. It is open for all, but
we'll have a limited number of seats. So, the earliest we get the
number of interested people, the best.

-

At the last summit, we were supposed to do a Key Signing Party, but
we end not doing it, due to lack of time. I suggest we add this again,
but doing it earlier, in order to avoid getting out of time for doing
it.

From my side, I'd like to discuss what criteria we should adopt for
the code that comes via /drivers/staging/media, in particular:
how much time should we keep a code there that doesn't receive any
patch addressing the drivers real issues (excluding codepatch,
cleanups and kAPI changes)?

What other themes should be discussed?

Thanks,
Mauro

* Re: [ANN] Media summit in Lisbon at September
@ 2019-07-01  9:19 ` Sean Young
From: Sean Young @ 2019-07-01  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: linux-media

Hi Mauro,

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 01:44:04PM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are organizing a media mini-summit in Lisbon to happen in September,
> at the same week as the Linux Plumber Conference and the Kernel Summit.
>
> We're still discussing the details about that.
>
> In principle, it will be a free event for the ones registered
> to Linux Plumbers Conference, happening between Sept 9-11.
> They have a room available that we could use for the meeting on that
> period of time, but we need to adjust to avoid conflicts with other
> interesting micro-conferences that will happen in parallel (or
> eventually do it outside that period, but that would be harder to
> organize).
>
> I'll let you know more details once we got it.
>
> If you plan to attend, please let me know. It is open for all, but
> we'll have a limited number of seats. So, the earliest we get the
> number of interested people, the best.

I'd like to attend.

> -
>
> At the last summit, we were supposed to do a Key Signing Party, but
> we end not doing it, due to lack of time. I suggest we add this again,
> but doing it earlier, in order to avoid getting out of time for doing
> it.
>
> From my side, I'd like to discuss what criteria we should adopt for
> the code that comes via /drivers/staging/media, in particular:
> how much time should we keep a code there that doesn't receive any
> patch addressing the drivers real issues (excluding codepatch,
> cleanups and kAPI changes)?
>
> What other themes should be discussed?

Nothing from my side.

I wouldn't mind a brief chat with you about possible dvb improvements.
I have started a few things already but it would be great to hear your
ideas. Not sure this is interesting for the wider audience.

Thanks

Sean

* Re: [ANN] Media summit in Lisbon at September
@ 2019-07-04 13:16 ` Ezequiel Garcia
From: Ezequiel Garcia @ 2019-07-04 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, linux-media

On Sun, 2019-06-30 at 13:44 -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are organizing a media mini-summit in Lisbon to happen in September,
> at the same week as the Linux Plumber Conference and the Kernel Summit.
>
> We're still discussing the details about that.
>
> In principle, it will be a free event for the ones registered
> to Linux Plumbers Conference, happening between Sept 9-11.
> They have a room available that we could use for the meeting on that
> period of time, but we need to adjust to avoid conflicts with other
> interesting micro-conferences that will happen in parallel (or
> eventually do it outside that period, but that would be harder to
> organize).
>
> I'll let you know more details once we got it.
>
> If you plan to attend, please let me know. It is open for all, but
> we'll have a limited number of seats. So, the earliest we get the
> number of interested people, the best.

I'll be at LPC, and I'd like to attend the summit.

I don't have any specific topics in mind this time around.

Thanks,
Ezequiel

* Re: [ANN] Media summit in Lisbon at September
@ 2019-08-01 12:34 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2019-08-01 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Em Sun, 30 Jun 2019 13:44:04 -0300
Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+samsung@kernel.org> escreveu:

> Hi all,
>
> We are organizing a media mini-summit in Lisbon to happen in September,
> at the same week as the Linux Plumber Conference and the Kernel Summit.
>
> We're still discussing the details about that.

Gently reminder.

Right now, we have just one extra theme proposal from Sean:

	- possible dvb improvements.

If we don't have more proposals, we may end skipping the Media
Summit this year.

Regards,
Mauro

@ 2019-08-02  1:24   ` Sean Young
From: Sean Young @ 2019-08-02  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: linux-media

On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 09:34:00AM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Sun, 30 Jun 2019 13:44:04 -0300
> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+samsung@kernel.org> escreveu:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are organizing a media mini-summit in Lisbon to happen in September,
> > at the same week as the Linux Plumber Conference and the Kernel Summit.
> >
> > We're still discussing the details about that.
>
> Gently reminder.
>
> Right now, we have just one extra theme proposal from Sean:
>
> 	- possible dvb improvements.

TBH, this wasn't much of a proposal. I wanted to have a little chat about
a way forward to remove dvb_attach with the hardware I have, and some
minor ideas about code improvement. This certainly can be done over irc,
and I do not think it would be very interesting to the wider group.

> If we don't have more proposals, we may end skipping the Media
> Summit this year.

I enjoyed meeting everyone in Edinburgh and I'd like to go to Lisbon, but
if we don't have anything to discus then that's that, I guess.

Sean

* Re: [ANN] Media summit in Lisbon at September
@ 2019-08-08 12:55   ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2019-08-08 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Em Thu, 1 Aug 2019 09:34:00 -0300
Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+samsung@kernel.org> escreveu:

> Em Sun, 30 Jun 2019 13:44:04 -0300
> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+samsung@kernel.org> escreveu:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are organizing a media mini-summit in Lisbon to happen in September,
> > at the same week as the Linux Plumber Conference and the Kernel Summit.
> >
> > We're still discussing the details about that.
>
> Gently reminder.
>
> Right now, we have just one extra theme proposal from Sean:
>
> 	- possible dvb improvements.
>
> If we don't have more proposals, we may end skipping the Media
> Summit this year.

It sounds that we won't have material to have a media summit this year.
So, let's cancel the media summit this year.

Regards,
Mauro

@ 2019-08-12  4:00     ` Alexandre Courbot
From: Alexandre Courbot @ 2019-08-12  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 9:55 PM Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab+samsung@kernel.org> wrote:

> Em Thu, 1 Aug 2019 09:34:00 -0300
> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+samsung@kernel.org> escreveu:
>
> > Em Sun, 30 Jun 2019 13:44:04 -0300
> > Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+samsung@kernel.org> escreveu:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > We are organizing a media mini-summit in Lisbon to happen in September,
> > > at the same week as the Linux Plumber Conference and the Kernel Summit.
> > >
> > > We're still discussing the details about that.
> >
> > Gently reminder.
> >
> > Right now, we have just one extra theme proposal from Sean:
> >
> >       - possible dvb improvements.
> >
> > If we don't have more proposals, we may end skipping the Media
> > Summit this year.
>
> It sounds that we won't have material to have a media summit this year.
> So, let's cancel the media summit this year.

Loosely related, but are there people planning to go to ELCE on
10/28-30? Tomasz and I may attend if there is a chance to discuss
libcamera/V4L2 codecs.

* Re: [ANN] Media summit in Lisbon at September
@ 2019-08-12  7:27       ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2019-08-12  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Courbot, Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Tomasz Figa

On 8/12/19 6:00 AM, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 9:55 PM Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> <mchehab+samsung@kernel.org> wrote:
>>
>> Em Thu, 1 Aug 2019 09:34:00 -0300
>> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+samsung@kernel.org> escreveu:

>>> Gently reminder.
>>>
>>> Right now, we have just one extra theme proposal from Sean:
>>>
>>>       - possible dvb improvements.
>>>
>>> If we don't have more proposals, we may end skipping the Media
>>> Summit this year.
>>
>> It sounds that we won't have material to have a media summit this year.
>> So, let's cancel the media summit this year.
>
> Loosely related, but are there people planning to go to ELCE on
> 10/28-30? Tomasz and I may attend if there is a chance to discuss
> libcamera/V4L2 codecs.

I'll be there and if there is enough interest in setting up a meeting
to discuss this, then I can ask the LF to set a room aside for us for,
say, half a day or so.

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: [ANN] Media summit in Lisbon at September
@ 2019-08-14  8:35         ` Alexandre Courbot
From: Alexandre Courbot @ 2019-08-14  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil, Laurent Pinchart

That could be nice. Of course something more informal is also fine.
Anyone else planning to attend? I suspect Laurent and people living in
France might be there?

@ 2019-08-14  9:40           ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2019-08-14  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Courbot
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Tomasz Figa,
	Linux Media Mailing List

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 05:35:48PM +0900, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> That could be nice. Of course something more informal is also fine.
> Anyone else planning to attend? I suspect Laurent and people living in
> France might be there?

I will, and so should the whole libcamera team.

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 4:28 PM Hans Verkuil wrote:

> > > Loosely related, but are there people planning to go to ELCE on
> > > 10/28-30? Tomasz and I may attend if there is a chance to discuss
> > > libcamera/V4L2 codecs.
> >
> > I'll be there and if there is enough interest in setting up a meeting
> > to discuss this, then I can ask the LF to set a room aside for us for,
> > say, half a day or so.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: [ANN] Media summit in Lisbon at September
@ 2019-08-16  5:52             ` Alexandre Courbot
From: Alexandre Courbot @ 2019-08-16  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Tomasz Figa,
	Linux Media Mailing List

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:40 PM Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 05:35:48PM +0900, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> > That could be nice. Of course something more informal is also fine.
> > Anyone else planning to attend? I suspect Laurent and people living in
> > France might be there?
>
> I will, and so should the whole libcamera team.

It seems to be confirmed that Tomasz and I will be attending. Maybe we
can come with a list of topics to discuss for all people present?

If Collabora/Bootlin is there, I'd certainly want to discuss stateless
codecs, in particular m2m codec helpers and finalize the specification
in general.

@ 2019-08-16  7:31               ` Jacopo Mondi
From: Jacopo Mondi @ 2019-08-16  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Courbot
  Cc: Sakari Ailus, Laurent Pinchart, Hans Verkuil,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Tomasz Figa, Linux Media Mailing List

Hi Alexandre,

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 02:52:13PM +0900, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:40 PM Laurent Pinchart
> <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 05:35:48PM +0900, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> > > That could be nice. Of course something more informal is also fine.
> > > Anyone else planning to attend? I suspect Laurent and people living in
> > > France might be there?
> >
> > I will, and so should the whole libcamera team.
>
> It seems to be confirmed that Tomasz and I will be attending. Maybe we
> can come with a list of topics to discuss for all people present?

Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
about. Sakari?

Thanks

> If Collabora/Bootlin is there, I'd certainly want to discuss stateless
> codecs, in particular m2m codec helpers and finalize the specification
> in general.

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Laurent Pinchart

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANN] Media summit in Lisbon at September
@ 2019-08-16  7:51                 ` Tomasz Figa
From: Tomasz Figa @ 2019-08-16  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacopo Mondi
  Cc: Alexandre Courbot, Sakari Ailus, Laurent Pinchart, Hans Verkuil,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Linux Media Mailing List

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 4:29 PM Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org> wrote:

> Hi Alexandre,
>
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 02:52:13PM +0900, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:40 PM Laurent Pinchart
> > <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com> wrote:

> > > I will, and so should the whole libcamera team.
> >
> > It seems to be confirmed that Tomasz and I will be attending. Maybe we
> > can come with a list of topics to discuss for all people present?
> >

> Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
> its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
> but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
> about. Sakari?

I would want to discuss various v4l2_buffer improvements, e.g.
- DMA-buf import with plane offsets,
- unifying the buffer structs for M and non-M formats,
- ability to import different FDs with offets for non-M formats if the
layout matches driver expectations, etc.

Besides that, I would be interested in the general idea on handling
complex cameras in the Linux kernel in spite of the remaining V4L2
limitations, e.g.
- combinatorial explosion of /dev/video nodes,
- significant ioctl overhead,
- huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
- the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
- lack of fences, etc.

Best regards,
Tomasz