* [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-08-16  8:06 Hans Verkuil
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2019-08-16  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Courbot, Laurent Pinchart, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)

I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
for someone, please let me know.

I do need to know how many people I can expect. I have the following
confirmed attendees (and please reply if you are not listed!):

Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>

I know there were more who mentioned on irc that they would attend,
but it is easier to keep track if I have it in an email.

Topics posted under the previous thread:

Tomasz:

I would want to discuss various v4l2_buffer improvements, e.g.
- DMA-buf import with plane offsets,
- unifying the buffer structs for M and non-M formats,
- ability to import different FDs with offsets for non-M formats if the
layout matches driver expectations, etc.

Besides that, I would be interested in the general idea on handling
complex cameras in the Linux kernel in spite of the remaining V4L2
limitations, e.g.
- combinatorial explosion of /dev/video nodes,
- significant ioctl overhead,
- huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
- the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
- lack of fences, etc.

Jacopo:

Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
about. Sakari?

Alexandre:

If Collabora/Bootlin is there, I'd certainly want to discuss stateless
codecs, in particular m2m codec helpers and finalize the specification
in general.

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-08-16  8:10 ` Hans Verkuil
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2019-08-16  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Courbot, Laurent Pinchart, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

On 8/16/19 10:06 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
> let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)
>
> I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
> work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
> for someone, please let me know.
>
> I do need to know how many people I can expect. I have the following
> confirmed attendees (and please reply if you are not listed!):
>
> Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
> Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
> Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
> Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
>
> I know there were more who mentioned on irc that they would attend,
> but it is easier to keep track if I have it in an email.
>
> Topics posted under the previous thread:
>
> Tomasz:
>
> I would want to discuss various v4l2_buffer improvements, e.g.
> - DMA-buf import with plane offsets,
> - unifying the buffer structs for M and non-M formats,
> - ability to import different FDs with offsets for non-M formats if the
> layout matches driver expectations, etc.
>
> Besides that, I would be interested in the general idea on handling
> complex cameras in the Linux kernel in spite of the remaining V4L2
> limitations, e.g.
> - combinatorial explosion of /dev/video nodes,
> - significant ioctl overhead,
> - huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
> implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
> - the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
> rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
> non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
> - lack of fences, etc.

Tomasz, I am not sure if this is suitable for a media summit: my feeling
is that this is much more suitable for a three day brainstorming session.

My 'roadmap' was to get the codec support sorted first, then start working
on this.

Regards,

	Hans

@ 2019-08-16  8:22   ` Tomasz Figa
From: Tomasz Figa @ 2019-08-16  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil, Sakari Ailus
	Jacopo Mondi

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 5:10 PM Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 8/16/19 10:06 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
> > let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)
> >
> > I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
> > work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
> > for someone, please let me know.
> >
> > I do need to know how many people I can expect. I have the following
> > confirmed attendees (and please reply if you are not listed!):
> >
> > Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
> > Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
> > Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
> > Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> > Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
> >
> > I know there were more who mentioned on irc that they would attend,
> > but it is easier to keep track if I have it in an email.
> >
> > Topics posted under the previous thread:
> >
> > Tomasz:
> >
> > I would want to discuss various v4l2_buffer improvements, e.g.
> > - DMA-buf import with plane offsets,
> > - unifying the buffer structs for M and non-M formats,
> > - ability to import different FDs with offsets for non-M formats if the
> > layout matches driver expectations, etc.
> >
> > Besides that, I would be interested in the general idea on handling
> > complex cameras in the Linux kernel in spite of the remaining V4L2
> > limitations, e.g.
> > - combinatorial explosion of /dev/video nodes,
> > - significant ioctl overhead,
> > - huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
> > implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
> > - the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
> > rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
> > non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
> > - lack of fences, etc.
>
> Tomasz, I am not sure if this is suitable for a media summit: my feeling
> is that this is much more suitable for a three day brainstorming session.
>
> My 'roadmap' was to get the codec support sorted first, then start working
> on this.

I mostly dumped the topics I had in my head, leaving out the codecs as
the obvious thing that people are already planning to talk about.

That said, there's been more interest in having proper Linux drivers
for camera capture IFs and ISPs and also a lot of feedback about the
issues I listed above. I'm afraid that if we don't start looking into
them early enough, we're going to end up in the same state as with
codecs where we're few years too late or even in the worst case just
the interest fading away. :(

I guess we could try to organize a separate session on another day for
this, though. +Sakari Ailus who might be also interested in this.

Best regards,
Tomasz

@ 2019-08-16  8:31     ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2019-08-16  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomasz Figa, Sakari Ailus
	Jacopo Mondi

On 8/16/19 10:22 AM, Tomasz Figa wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 5:10 PM Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>> On 8/16/19 10:06 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>>> Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
>>> let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)
>>>
>>> I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
>>> work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
>>> for someone, please let me know.
>>>
>>> I do need to know how many people I can expect. I have the following
>>> confirmed attendees (and please reply if you are not listed!):
>>>
>>> Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
>>> Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
>>> Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
>>> Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
>>> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
>>>
>>> I know there were more who mentioned on irc that they would attend,
>>> but it is easier to keep track if I have it in an email.
>>>
>>> Topics posted under the previous thread:
>>>
>>> Tomasz:
>>>
>>> I would want to discuss various v4l2_buffer improvements, e.g.
>>> - DMA-buf import with plane offsets,
>>> - unifying the buffer structs for M and non-M formats,
>>> - ability to import different FDs with offsets for non-M formats if the
>>> layout matches driver expectations, etc.
>>>
>>> Besides that, I would be interested in the general idea on handling
>>> complex cameras in the Linux kernel in spite of the remaining V4L2
>>> limitations, e.g.
>>> - combinatorial explosion of /dev/video nodes,
>>> - significant ioctl overhead,
>>> - huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
>>> implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
>>> - the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
>>> rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
>>> non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
>>> - lack of fences, etc.
>>
>> Tomasz, I am not sure if this is suitable for a media summit: my feeling
>> is that this is much more suitable for a three day brainstorming session.
>>
>> My 'roadmap' was to get the codec support sorted first, then start working
>> on this.
>
> I mostly dumped the topics I had in my head, leaving out the codecs as
> the obvious thing that people are already planning to talk about.
>
> That said, there's been more interest in having proper Linux drivers
> for camera capture IFs and ISPs and also a lot of feedback about the
> issues I listed above. I'm afraid that if we don't start looking into
> them early enough, we're going to end up in the same state as with
> codecs where we're few years too late or even in the worst case just
> the interest fading away. :(

I agree that this shouldn't wait too long. And my view is that we should
start working on this later this year. I suspect that I should be able
to spend time on this in 1-2 months since it looks like the codec work
should be mostly complete by then.

Regards,

	Hans

> I guess we could try to organize a separate session on another day for
> this, though. +Sakari Ailus who might be also interested in this.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz
>

>> Regards,
>>
>>         Hans
>>

>>> Jacopo:
>>>
>>> Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
>>> its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
>>> but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
>>> about. Sakari?
>>>
>>> Alexandre:
>>>
>>> If Collabora/Bootlin is there, I'd certainly want to discuss stateless
>>> codecs, in particular m2m codec helpers and finalize the specification
>>> in general.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>       Hans

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-08-16  9:37 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2019-08-16  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil
	Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

Em Fri, 16 Aug 2019 10:06:30 +0200
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> escreveu:

> Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
> let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)
>
> I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
> work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
> for someone, please let me know.
>
> I do need to know how many people I can expect. I have the following
> confirmed attendees (and please reply if you are not listed!):

I'm not planning to go to ELCE this year.

Regards,
Mauro

> Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
> Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
> Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
> Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
>
> I know there were more who mentioned on irc that they would attend,
> but it is easier to keep track if I have it in an email.
>
> Topics posted under the previous thread:
>
> Tomasz:
>
> I would want to discuss various v4l2_buffer improvements, e.g.
> - DMA-buf import with plane offsets,
> - unifying the buffer structs for M and non-M formats,
> - ability to import different FDs with offsets for non-M formats if the
> layout matches driver expectations, etc.
>
> Besides that, I would be interested in the general idea on handling
> complex cameras in the Linux kernel in spite of the remaining V4L2
> limitations, e.g.
> - combinatorial explosion of /dev/video nodes,
> - significant ioctl overhead,
> - huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
> implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
> - the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
> rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
> non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
> - lack of fences, etc.
>
> Jacopo:
>
> Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
> its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
> but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
> about. Sakari?
>
> Alexandre:
>
> If Collabora/Bootlin is there, I'd certainly want to discuss stateless
> codecs, in particular m2m codec helpers and finalize the specification
> in general.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Hans

Thanks,
Mauro

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-08-19  7:44 ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2019-08-19  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Courbot, Laurent Pinchart, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

On 8/16/19 10:06 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
> let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)
>
> I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
> work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
> for someone, please let me know.
>
> I do need to know how many people I can expect. I have the following
> confirmed attendees (and please reply if you are not listed!):
>
> Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
> Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
> Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
> Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
>
> I know there were more who mentioned on irc that they would attend,
> but it is easier to keep track if I have it in an email.
>
> Topics posted under the previous thread:
>
> Tomasz:
>
> I would want to discuss various v4l2_buffer improvements, e.g.
> - DMA-buf import with plane offsets,
> - unifying the buffer structs for M and non-M formats,
> - ability to import different FDs with offsets for non-M formats if the
> layout matches driver expectations, etc.
>
> Besides that, I would be interested in the general idea on handling
> complex cameras in the Linux kernel in spite of the remaining V4L2
> limitations, e.g.
> - combinatorial explosion of /dev/video nodes,
> - significant ioctl overhead,
> - huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
> implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
> - the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
> rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
> non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
> - lack of fences, etc.
>
> Jacopo:
>
> Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
> its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
> but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
> about. Sakari?
>
> Alexandre:
>
> If Collabora/Bootlin is there, I'd certainly want to discuss stateless
> codecs, in particular m2m codec helpers and finalize the specification
> in general.

Hans:

Finalize the stateful encoder API. There are still two TODOs there, see:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/cover/10972783/

@ 2019-08-19 14:43   ` Ezequiel Garcia
From: Ezequiel Garcia @ 2019-08-19 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Courbot, Laurent Pinchart, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

On Mon, 2019-08-19 at 09:44 +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 8/16/19 10:06 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
> > let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)
> >
> > I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
> > work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
> > for someone, please let me know.
> >
> > I do need to know how many people I can expect. I have the following
> > confirmed attendees (and please reply if you are not listed!):
> >
> > Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
> > Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
> > Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
> > Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> > Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
> >
> > I know there were more who mentioned on irc that they would attend,
> > but it is easier to keep track if I have it in an email.
> >
> > Topics posted under the previous thread:
> >
> > Tomasz:
> >
> > I would want to discuss various v4l2_buffer improvements, e.g.
> > - DMA-buf import with plane offsets,
> > - unifying the buffer structs for M and non-M formats,
> > - ability to import different FDs with offsets for non-M formats if the
> > layout matches driver expectations, etc.
> >
> > Besides that, I would be interested in the general idea on handling
> > complex cameras in the Linux kernel in spite of the remaining V4L2
> > limitations, e.g.
> > - combinatorial explosion of /dev/video nodes,
> > - significant ioctl overhead,
> > - huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
> > implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
> > - the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
> > rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
> > non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
> > - lack of fences, etc.
> >
> > Jacopo:
> >
> > Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
> > its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
> > but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
> > about. Sakari?
> >
> > Alexandre:
> >
> > If Collabora/Bootlin is there, I'd certainly want to discuss stateless
> > codecs, in particular m2m codec helpers and finalize the specification
> > in general.
>
> Hans:
>
> Finalize the stateful encoder API. There are still two TODOs there, see:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/cover/10972783/

A few Collaborans, including me will be attending.

On my side, I'd like to discuss the staging stateless codec drivers
and the conditions and requirements for them to move out of staging.

Thanks,
Ezequiel

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-08-19 15:04     ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2019-08-19 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ezequiel Garcia
	Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

Hello,

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 11:43:56AM -0300, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-08-19 at 09:44 +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > On 8/16/19 10:06 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > > Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
> > > let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)
> > >
> > > I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
> > > work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
> > > for someone, please let me know.
> > >
> > > I do need to know how many people I can expect. I have the following
> > > confirmed attendees (and please reply if you are not listed!):
> > >
> > > Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
> > > Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
> > > Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
> > > Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> > > Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
> > >
> > > I know there were more who mentioned on irc that they would attend,
> > > but it is easier to keep track if I have it in an email.
> > >
> > > Topics posted under the previous thread:
> > >
> > > Tomasz:
> > >
> > > I would want to discuss various v4l2_buffer improvements, e.g.
> > > - DMA-buf import with plane offsets,
> > > - unifying the buffer structs for M and non-M formats,
> > > - ability to import different FDs with offsets for non-M formats if the
> > > layout matches driver expectations, etc.
> > >
> > > Besides that, I would be interested in the general idea on handling
> > > complex cameras in the Linux kernel in spite of the remaining V4L2
> > > limitations, e.g.
> > > - combinatorial explosion of /dev/video nodes,
> > > - significant ioctl overhead,
> > > - huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
> > >   implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
> > > - the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
> > >   rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
> > >   non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
> > > - lack of fences, etc.
> > >
> > > Jacopo:
> > >
> > > Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
> > > its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
> > > but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
> > > about. Sakari?
> > >
> > > Alexandre:
> > >
> > > If Collabora/Bootlin is there, I'd certainly want to discuss stateless
> > > codecs, in particular m2m codec helpers and finalize the specification
> > > in general.
> >
> > Hans:
> >
> > Finalize the stateful encoder API. There are still two TODOs there, see:
> > https://patchwork.kernel.org/cover/10972783/
> >

> A few Collaborans, including me will be attending.
>
> On my side, I'd like to discuss the staging stateless codec drivers
> and the conditions and requirements for them to move out of staging.

If time (and interest) permits, we could also discuss the next steps for
libcamera and their implications on the kernel side.

Is there any news regarding the date of the meeting ? Thursday after the
conference would be best for me, but if it's during the conference, I
could still attend part of the discussions (depending on the conference
schedule).

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-08-19 15:24       ` Eugen.Hristev
From: Eugen.Hristev @ 2019-08-19 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: laurent.pinchart, ezequiel, hverkuil
  Cc: linux-media, acourbot, jacopo+renesas, tfiga

On 19.08.2019 18:04, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 11:43:56AM -0300, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:

>>> Hans:
>>>
>>> Finalize the stateful encoder API. There are still two TODOs there, see:
>>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/cover/10972783/
>>>

>> A few Collaborans, including me will be attending.
>>
>> On my side, I'd like to discuss the staging stateless codec drivers
>> and the conditions and requirements for them to move out of staging.
>
> If time (and interest) permits, we could also discuss the next steps for
> libcamera and their implications on the kernel side.
>
> Is there any news regarding the date of the meeting ? Thursday after the
> conference would be best for me, but if it's during the conference, I
> could still attend part of the discussions (depending on the conference
> schedule).

Hello,

I will be in Lyon and would love to attend. I am pretty much new to
media subsystem and eager to learn more about it.
My interest is related to platform drivers and support for small ISPs
inside hardware controllers.

P.S. Not sure if will be still there on Thursday or only Mon-Wed

Thanks,
Eugen

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-08-19 15:51         ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2019-08-19 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eugen.Hristev
  Cc: ezequiel, hverkuil, linux-media, acourbot, jacopo+renesas, tfiga

Hi Eugen,

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 03:24:26PM +0000, Eugen.Hristev@microchip.com wrote:
> On 19.08.2019 18:04, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> >> A few Collaborans, including me will be attending.
> >>
> >> On my side, I'd like to discuss the staging stateless codec drivers
> >> and the conditions and requirements for them to move out of staging.
> >
> > If time (and interest) permits, we could also discuss the next steps for
> > libcamera and their implications on the kernel side.
> >
> > Is there any news regarding the date of the meeting ? Thursday after the
> > conference would be best for me, but if it's during the conference, I
> > could still attend part of the discussions (depending on the conference
> > schedule).
> >

> Hello,
>
> I will be in Lyon and would love to attend. I am pretty much new to
> media subsystem and eager to learn more about it.
> My interest is related to platform drivers and support for small ISPs
> inside hardware controllers.

I would be very interested in discussing that topic with you, at any
time that would fit your schedule.

> P.S. Not sure if will be still there on Thursday or only Mon-Wed

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-08-28 10:55 ` Hans Verkuil
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2019-08-28 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Courbot, Laurent Pinchart, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

On 8/16/19 10:06 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
> let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)
>
> I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
> work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
> for someone, please let me know.

I can only get a room for Thursday afternoon (2pm-6pm). I'm inclined to take
that room, but if a lot of people who want to come, will already have left
on the Thursday, then there is no point in me reserving this room.

So if you are unable to attend on Thursday, then please let me know asap!

If Thursday is no problem, then I wanted to have more informal meetings
somewhere in the conference center during the morning, and after lunch
use the room.

If Thursday is a no-go, then we will just have to find a place inside
the conference center during the ELCE.

Regards,

	Hans

@ 2019-08-29  0:56   ` Nicolas Dufresne
From: Nicolas Dufresne @ 2019-08-29  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Courbot, Laurent Pinchart, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

Le mercredi 28 août 2019 à 12:55 +0200, Hans Verkuil a écrit :
> On 8/16/19 10:06 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
> > let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)
> >
> > I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
> > work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
> > for someone, please let me know.
>
> I can only get a room for Thursday afternoon (2pm-6pm). I'm inclined to take
> that room, but if a lot of people who want to come, will already have left
> on the Thursday, then there is no point in me reserving this room.
>
> So if you are unable to attend on Thursday, then please let me know asap!
>
> If Thursday is no problem, then I wanted to have more informal meetings
> somewhere in the conference center during the morning, and after lunch
> use the room.
>
> If Thursday is a no-go, then we will just have to find a place inside
> the conference center during the ELCE.

For me it is not possible on Thursday, since it's day one of GStreamer
Conference. The conference ends at 17h and is 6km away from ELCE venue.

@ 2019-08-30  7:53   ` Tomasz Figa
From: Tomasz Figa @ 2019-08-30  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil
	Jacopo Mondi

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 7:55 PM Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 8/16/19 10:06 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
> > let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)
> >
> > I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
> > work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
> > for someone, please let me know.
>
> I can only get a room for Thursday afternoon (2pm-6pm). I'm inclined to take
> that room, but if a lot of people who want to come, will already have left
> on the Thursday, then there is no point in me reserving this room.
>
> So if you are unable to attend on Thursday, then please let me know asap!
>
> If Thursday is no problem, then I wanted to have more informal meetings
> somewhere in the conference center during the morning, and after lunch
> use the room.
>
> If Thursday is a no-go, then we will just have to find a place inside
> the conference center during the ELCE.

Thanks for organizing this!

I'm okay with Thursday, but would prefer a day during the conference.

Best regards,
Tomasz

> Regards,
>
>         Hans
>

> > I do need to know how many people I can expect. I have the following
> > confirmed attendees (and please reply if you are not listed!):
> >
> > Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
> > Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
> > Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
> > Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> > Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
> >
> > I know there were more who mentioned on irc that they would attend,
> > but it is easier to keep track if I have it in an email.
> >
> > Topics posted under the previous thread:
> >
> > Tomasz:
> >
> > I would want to discuss various v4l2_buffer improvements, e.g.
> > - DMA-buf import with plane offsets,
> > - unifying the buffer structs for M and non-M formats,
> > - ability to import different FDs with offsets for non-M formats if the
> > layout matches driver expectations, etc.
> >
> > Besides that, I would be interested in the general idea on handling
> > complex cameras in the Linux kernel in spite of the remaining V4L2
> > limitations, e.g.
> > - combinatorial explosion of /dev/video nodes,
> > - significant ioctl overhead,
> > - huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
> > implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
> > - the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
> > rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
> > non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
> > - lack of fences, etc.
> >
> > Jacopo:
> >
> > Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
> > its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
> > but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
> > about. Sakari?
> >
> > Alexandre:
> >
> > If Collabora/Bootlin is there, I'd certainly want to discuss stateless
> > codecs, in particular m2m codec helpers and finalize the specification
> > in general.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> >       Hans

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-09-03  7:21   ` Hans Verkuil
                       ` (5 more replies)
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2019-09-03  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Courbot, Laurent Pinchart, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa,
	Ezequiel Garcia, Eugen Hristev, Paul Kocialkowski, Maxime Ripard,
	Stanimir Varbanov, Philipp Zabel, Dafna Hirschfeld,
	Jernej Škrabec, Jonas Karlman

Hi all,

I've decided to hold the meeting during the ELCE and not on Thursday.
Two key people can't be there on Thursday and some travel back Thursday
evening and so would have to leave early.

Looking at the schedule I propose instead to have one meeting on
Tuesday morning concentrating on finalizing the codec support.

On Wednesday we have a second meeting for libcamera (morning) and looking
at future V4L2 developments such as v4l2_ext_buffer/format, Request API and
complex camera pipelines (afternoon).

Laurent, it would make sense if you or one of the other libcamera devs is
'chairing' the libcamera meeting. Do you agree? If so, can you prepare an
agenda for that meeting?

I plan on leaving Thursday afternoon, so we have the option to continue the
talks around that last topic on Thursday morning.

I have no idea where we will hold these meetings since I've no idea
what the conference center looks like and if they have suitable places
for doing something like this. So I'll look around on the Monday and
mail the details of where to meet then.

Confirmed attendees:

Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@collabora.com>
Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca>
Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@collabora.com>
Eugen Hristev <Eugen.Hristev@microchip.com>
Paul Kocialkowski <paul.kocialkowski@bootlin.com>
Helen Koike <helen.koike@collabora.com>
Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>

If you are not on this list, but want to join, please let me know.

Since this is really three half-day meetings, each with a different
topic, please let me know which of those half-day meetings you want
to attend.

Regards,

	Hans

@ 2019-09-03  7:46     ` Alexandre Courbot
                       ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Alexandre Courbot @ 2019-09-03  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil
	Tomasz Figa, Ezequiel Garcia, Eugen Hristev, Paul Kocialkowski,

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 4:21 PM Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've decided to hold the meeting during the ELCE and not on Thursday.
> Two key people can't be there on Thursday and some travel back Thursday
> evening and so would have to leave early.
>
> Looking at the schedule I propose instead to have one meeting on
> Tuesday morning concentrating on finalizing the codec support.
>
> On Wednesday we have a second meeting for libcamera (morning) and looking
> at future V4L2 developments such as v4l2_ext_buffer/format, Request API and
> complex camera pipelines (afternoon).
>
> Laurent, it would make sense if you or one of the other libcamera devs is
> 'chairing' the libcamera meeting. Do you agree? If so, can you prepare an
> agenda for that meeting?
>
> I plan on leaving Thursday afternoon, so we have the option to continue the
> talks around that last topic on Thursday morning.
>
> I have no idea where we will hold these meetings since I've no idea
> what the conference center looks like and if they have suitable places
> for doing something like this. So I'll look around on the Monday and
> mail the details of where to meet then.
>
> Confirmed attendees:
>
> Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@collabora.com>
> Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
> Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca>
> Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
> Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@collabora.com>
> Eugen Hristev <Eugen.Hristev@microchip.com>
> Paul Kocialkowski <paul.kocialkowski@bootlin.com>
> Helen Koike <helen.koike@collabora.com>
> Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
> Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
>
> If you are not on this list, but want to join, please let me know.
>
> Since this is really three half-day meetings, each with a different
> topic, please let me know which of those half-day meetings you want
> to attend.

Hi Hans,

I plan to be here at least for the codec and V4L2 developments meetings.

Thanks,
Alex.

> [...]
> >> - the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
> >> rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
> >> non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
> >> - lack of fences, etc.
> >>
> >> Jacopo:
> >>
> >> Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
> >> its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
> >> but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
> >> about. Sakari?
> >>
> >> Alexandre:
> >>
> >> If Collabora/Bootlin is there, I'd certainly want to discuss stateless
> >> codecs, in particular m2m codec helpers and finalize the specification
> >> in general.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >>      Hans

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-09-03  8:02     ` Tomasz Figa
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Tomasz Figa @ 2019-09-03  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil
	Jacopo Mondi, Ezequiel Garcia, Eugen Hristev, Paul Kocialkowski,
	Maxime Ripard, Stanimir Varbanov, Philipp Zabel,
	Dafna Hirschfeld, Jernej Škrabec, Jonas Karlman

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 4:21 PM Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've decided to hold the meeting during the ELCE and not on Thursday.
> Two key people can't be there on Thursday and some travel back Thursday
> evening and so would have to leave early.
>
> Looking at the schedule I propose instead to have one meeting on
> Tuesday morning concentrating on finalizing the codec support.
>
> On Wednesday we have a second meeting for libcamera (morning) and looking
> at future V4L2 developments such as v4l2_ext_buffer/format, Request API and
> complex camera pipelines (afternoon).
>
> Laurent, it would make sense if you or one of the other libcamera devs is
> 'chairing' the libcamera meeting. Do you agree? If so, can you prepare an
> agenda for that meeting?
>
> I plan on leaving Thursday afternoon, so we have the option to continue the
> talks around that last topic on Thursday morning.
>
> I have no idea where we will hold these meetings since I've no idea
> what the conference center looks like and if they have suitable places
> for doing something like this. So I'll look around on the Monday and
> mail the details of where to meet then.
>
> Confirmed attendees:
>
> Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@collabora.com>
> Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
> Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca>
> Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
> Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@collabora.com>
> Eugen Hristev <Eugen.Hristev@microchip.com>
> Paul Kocialkowski <paul.kocialkowski@bootlin.com>
> Helen Koike <helen.koike@collabora.com>
> Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
> Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
>
> If you are not on this list, but want to join, please let me know.
>
> Since this is really three half-day meetings, each with a different
> topic, please let me know which of those half-day meetings you want
> to attend.

Thanks Hans! I should be there on all the 3 meetings.

> [...]
> >> - the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
> >> rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
> >> non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
> >> - lack of fences, etc.
> >>
> >> Jacopo:
> >>
> >> Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
> >> its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
> >> but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
> >> about. Sakari?
> >>
> >> Alexandre:
> >>
> >> If Collabora/Bootlin is there, I'd certainly want to discuss stateless
> >> codecs, in particular m2m codec helpers and finalize the specification
> >> in general.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >>      Hans

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-09-03  9:15     ` Niklas Söderlund
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Niklas Söderlund @ 2019-09-03  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil
	Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa, Ezequiel Garcia, Eugen Hristev,
	Paul Kocialkowski, Maxime Ripard, Stanimir Varbanov,
	Philipp Zabel, Dafna Hirschfeld, Jernej Škrabec,
	Jonas Karlman

Hi Hans,

Thanks for organizing this.

On 2019-09-03 09:21:43 +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've decided to hold the meeting during the ELCE and not on Thursday.
> Two key people can't be there on Thursday and some travel back Thursday
> evening and so would have to leave early.
>
> Looking at the schedule I propose instead to have one meeting on
> Tuesday morning concentrating on finalizing the codec support.
>
> On Wednesday we have a second meeting for libcamera (morning) and looking
> at future V4L2 developments such as v4l2_ext_buffer/format, Request API and
> complex camera pipelines (afternoon).
>
> Laurent, it would make sense if you or one of the other libcamera devs is
> 'chairing' the libcamera meeting. Do you agree? If so, can you prepare an
> agenda for that meeting?
>
> I plan on leaving Thursday afternoon, so we have the option to continue the
> talks around that last topic on Thursday morning.
>
> I have no idea where we will hold these meetings since I've no idea
> what the conference center looks like and if they have suitable places
> for doing something like this. So I'll look around on the Monday and
> mail the details of where to meet then.
>
> Confirmed attendees:
>
> Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@collabora.com>
> Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
> Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca>
> Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
> Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@collabora.com>
> Eugen Hristev <Eugen.Hristev@microchip.com>
> Paul Kocialkowski <paul.kocialkowski@bootlin.com>
> Helen Koike <helen.koike@collabora.com>
> Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
> Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
>
> If you are not on this list, but want to join, please let me know.

I will be there.

> [...]
> >> - significant ioctl overhead,
> >> - huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
> >> implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
> >> - the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
> >> rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
> >> non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
> >> - lack of fences, etc.
> >>
> >> Jacopo:
> >>
> >> Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
> >> its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
> >> but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
> >> about. Sakari?
> >>
> >> Alexandre:
> >>
> >> If Collabora/Bootlin is there, I'd certainly want to discuss stateless
> >> codecs, in particular m2m codec helpers and finalize the specification

Niklas Söderlund

@ 2019-09-03  9:35     ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2019-09-03  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil

On Tue, Sep 03, 2019 at 09:21:43AM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've decided to hold the meeting during the ELCE and not on Thursday.
> Two key people can't be there on Thursday and some travel back Thursday
> evening and so would have to leave early.
>
> Looking at the schedule I propose instead to have one meeting on
> Tuesday morning concentrating on finalizing the codec support.
>
> On Wednesday we have a second meeting for libcamera (morning) and looking
> at future V4L2 developments such as v4l2_ext_buffer/format, Request API and
> complex camera pipelines (afternoon).
>
> Laurent, it would make sense if you or one of the other libcamera devs is
> 'chairing' the libcamera meeting. Do you agree? If so, can you prepare an
> agenda for that meeting?
>
> I plan on leaving Thursday afternoon, so we have the option to continue the
> talks around that last topic on Thursday morning.
>
> I have no idea where we will hold these meetings since I've no idea
> what the conference center looks like and if they have suitable places
> for doing something like this. So I'll look around on the Monday and
> mail the details of where to meet then.
>
> Confirmed attendees:
>
> Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@collabora.com>
> Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
> Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca>
> Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
> Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@collabora.com>
> Eugen Hristev <Eugen.Hristev@microchip.com>
> Paul Kocialkowski <paul.kocialkowski@bootlin.com>
> Helen Koike <helen.koike@collabora.com>
> Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
> Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
>
> If you are not on this list, but want to join, please let me know.
>
> Since this is really three half-day meetings, each with a different
> topic, please let me know which of those half-day meetings you want
> to attend.

The schedule looks good to me. I may skip the codec part, but will be
there on Wednesday.

On the libcamera side, I was wondering if we should announce the meeting
beforehand (possibly on the libcamera-devel mailing list and/or during
Jacopo's talk on Tuesday afternoon). We don't have a room secured, right
? Did the LF say they have no room available during the conference ?

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-09-03 10:03       ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2019-09-03 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart

On 9/3/19 11:35 AM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2019 at 09:21:43AM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've decided to hold the meeting during the ELCE and not on Thursday.
>> Two key people can't be there on Thursday and some travel back Thursday
>> evening and so would have to leave early.
>>
>> Looking at the schedule I propose instead to have one meeting on
>> Tuesday morning concentrating on finalizing the codec support.
>>
>> On Wednesday we have a second meeting for libcamera (morning) and looking
>> at future V4L2 developments such as v4l2_ext_buffer/format, Request API and
>> complex camera pipelines (afternoon).
>>
>> Laurent, it would make sense if you or one of the other libcamera devs is
>> 'chairing' the libcamera meeting. Do you agree? If so, can you prepare an
>> agenda for that meeting?
>>
>> I plan on leaving Thursday afternoon, so we have the option to continue the
>> talks around that last topic on Thursday morning.
>>
>> I have no idea where we will hold these meetings since I've no idea
>> what the conference center looks like and if they have suitable places
>> for doing something like this. So I'll look around on the Monday and
>> mail the details of where to meet then.
>>
>> Confirmed attendees:
>>
>> Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@collabora.com>
>> Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
>> Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca>
>> Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
>> Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@collabora.com>
>> Eugen Hristev <Eugen.Hristev@microchip.com>
>> Paul Kocialkowski <paul.kocialkowski@bootlin.com>
>> Helen Koike <helen.koike@collabora.com>
>> Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
>> Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
>> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
>>
>> If you are not on this list, but want to join, please let me know.
>>
>> Since this is really three half-day meetings, each with a different
>> topic, please let me know which of those half-day meetings you want
>> to attend.
>
> The schedule looks good to me. I may skip the codec part, but will be
> there on Wednesday.
>
> On the libcamera side, I was wondering if we should announce the meeting
> beforehand (possibly on the libcamera-devel mailing list and/or during
> Jacopo's talk on Tuesday afternoon). We don't have a room secured, right
> ? Did the LF say they have no room available during the conference ?

Correct, there are no rooms available during the conference.

It's also why I wouldn't announce the meeting since I have no idea
where we can meet and how many people would fit in whatever place
we'll find.

It might be that when we get to the venue it turns out that there are
many areas where you can have an informal meeting, or it might be
a lot more difficult.

If it turns out to be easy to find a space for this, then it can be announced
during the libcamera talk. We'll find out on the Monday.

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
                       ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-09-12  7:28     ` Michael Tretter
From: Michael Tretter @ 2019-09-12  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil

On Tue, 03 Sep 2019 09:21:43 +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've decided to hold the meeting during the ELCE and not on Thursday.
> Two key people can't be there on Thursday and some travel back Thursday
> evening and so would have to leave early.
>
> Looking at the schedule I propose instead to have one meeting on
> Tuesday morning concentrating on finalizing the codec support.
>
> On Wednesday we have a second meeting for libcamera (morning) and looking
> at future V4L2 developments such as v4l2_ext_buffer/format, Request API and
> complex camera pipelines (afternoon).
>
> Laurent, it would make sense if you or one of the other libcamera devs is
> 'chairing' the libcamera meeting. Do you agree? If so, can you prepare an
> agenda for that meeting?
>
> I plan on leaving Thursday afternoon, so we have the option to continue the
> talks around that last topic on Thursday morning.
>
> I have no idea where we will hold these meetings since I've no idea
> what the conference center looks like and if they have suitable places
> for doing something like this. So I'll look around on the Monday and
> mail the details of where to meet then.
>
> Confirmed attendees:
>
> Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@collabora.com>
> Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
> Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca>
> Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
> Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@collabora.com>
> Eugen Hristev <Eugen.Hristev@microchip.com>
> Paul Kocialkowski <paul.kocialkowski@bootlin.com>
> Helen Koike <helen.koike@collabora.com>
> Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
> Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
>
> If you are not on this list, but want to join, please let me know.

I would like to attend the meeting about codec support.

Michael

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
                       ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-09-13 11:27     ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2019-09-13 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Courbot, Laurent Pinchart, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa,
	Ezequiel Garcia, Eugen Hristev, Paul Kocialkowski, Maxime Ripard,
	Stanimir Varbanov, Philipp Zabel, Dafna Hirschfeld,
	Jernej Škrabec, Jonas Karlman, Michael Tretter

On 9/3/19 9:21 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've decided to hold the meeting during the ELCE and not on Thursday.
> Two key people can't be there on Thursday and some travel back Thursday
> evening and so would have to leave early.
>
> Looking at the schedule I propose instead to have one meeting on
> Tuesday morning concentrating on finalizing the codec support.
>
> On Wednesday we have a second meeting for libcamera (morning) and looking
> at future V4L2 developments such as v4l2_ext_buffer/format, Request API and
> complex camera pipelines (afternoon).
>
> Laurent, it would make sense if you or one of the other libcamera devs is
> 'chairing' the libcamera meeting. Do you agree? If so, can you prepare an
> agenda for that meeting?
>
> I plan on leaving Thursday afternoon, so we have the option to continue the
> talks around that last topic on Thursday morning.
>
> I have no idea where we will hold these meetings since I've no idea
> what the conference center looks like and if they have suitable places
> for doing something like this. So I'll look around on the Monday and
> mail the details of where to meet then.

Good news: the Linux Foundation found a room for us, for both the Tuesday
morning (8-12AM) and the whole of Wednesday (8AM-6PM).

The room is: Terreaux VIP Lounge - Level 0
It's boardroom seating for 15, screen & Projector, 3 power strips on the tables.

Many thanks to the LF for hosting this for us!

Regards,

	Hans

@ 2019-09-13 12:24       ` Daniel Gomez
From: Daniel Gomez @ 2019-09-13 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil
	Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa, Ezequiel Garcia, Eugen Hristev,
	Paul Kocialkowski, Maxime Ripard, Stanimir Varbanov,
	Philipp Zabel, Dafna Hirschfeld, Jernej Škrabec,
	Jonas Karlman, Michael Tretter

Hi,

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 at 13:27, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 9/3/19 9:21 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've decided to hold the meeting during the ELCE and not on Thursday.
> > Two key people can't be there on Thursday and some travel back Thursday
> > evening and so would have to leave early.
> >
> > Looking at the schedule I propose instead to have one meeting on
> > Tuesday morning concentrating on finalizing the codec support.
> >
> > On Wednesday we have a second meeting for libcamera (morning) and looking
> > at future V4L2 developments such as v4l2_ext_buffer/format, Request API and
> > complex camera pipelines (afternoon).
> >
> > Laurent, it would make sense if you or one of the other libcamera devs is
> > 'chairing' the libcamera meeting. Do you agree? If so, can you prepare an
> > agenda for that meeting?
> >
> > I plan on leaving Thursday afternoon, so we have the option to continue the
> > talks around that last topic on Thursday morning.
> >
> > I have no idea where we will hold these meetings since I've no idea
> > what the conference center looks like and if they have suitable places
> > for doing something like this. So I'll look around on the Monday and
> > mail the details of where to meet then.
>
> Good news: the Linux Foundation found a room for us, for both the Tuesday
> morning (8-12AM) and the whole of Wednesday (8AM-6PM).
>
> The room is: Terreaux VIP Lounge - Level 0
> It's boardroom seating for 15, screen & Projector, 3 power strips on the tables.
>
> Many thanks to the LF for hosting this for us!
>
> Regards,
>
>         Hans

I will be in the ELCE for the first time and since I've also started
to work recently with
Ricardo Ribalda and with industrial cameras (v4l2, sensors,
encoders...)  I would love
to attend all the meetings: codecs, libcamera, and V4L2 development.

> > Confirmed attendees:
> >
> > Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@collabora.com>
> > Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
> > Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca>
> > Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
> > Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@collabora.com>
> > Eugen Hristev <Eugen.Hristev@microchip.com>
> > Paul Kocialkowski <paul.kocialkowski@bootlin.com>
> > Helen Koike <helen.koike@collabora.com>
> > Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
> > Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> > Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
> >
> > If you are not on this list, but want to join, please let me know.
> >
> > Since this is really three half-day meetings, each with a different
> > topic, please let me know which of those half-day meetings you want
> > to attend.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> >       Hans

> >> I can only get a room for Thursday afternoon (2pm-6pm). I'm inclined to take
> >> that room, but if a lot of people who want to come, will already have left
> >> on the Thursday, then there is no point in me reserving this room.
> >>
> >> So if you are unable to attend on Thursday, then please let me know asap!
> >>
> >> If Thursday is no problem, then I wanted to have more informal meetings
> >> somewhere in the conference center during the morning, and after lunch
> >> use the room.
> >>
> >> If Thursday is a no-go, then we will just have to find a place inside
> >> the conference center during the ELCE.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >>      Hans

Regards,
Daniel

@ 2019-09-16  8:40 ` Jose Abreu
From: Jose Abreu @ 2019-09-16  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Courbot, Laurent Pinchart, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

From: Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
Date: Aug/16/2019, 09:06:30 (UTC+00:00)

> Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
> let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)
>
> I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
> work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
> for someone, please let me know.
>
> I do need to know how many people I can expect. I have the following
> confirmed attendees (and please reply if you are not listed!):

Hi Hans,

It's been a while, hope you are doing well :)

I'm no longer working in media subsystem but my colleagues Angelo and
Joao would like to attend.

We currently have HDMI and CSI support for our IPs using V4L2 and we
would like to interact with the community in order to get this
up-streamed so that we have as many features supported as possible.

Is it possible ?

---
Thanks,
Jose Miguel Abreu

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-09-16  8:48   ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2019-09-16  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Courbot, Laurent Pinchart, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

On 9/16/19 10:40 AM, Jose Abreu wrote:
> From: Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
> Date: Aug/16/2019, 09:06:30 (UTC+00:00)
>
>> Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
>> let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)
>>
>> I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
>> work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
>> for someone, please let me know.
>>
>> I do need to know how many people I can expect. I have the following
>> confirmed attendees (and please reply if you are not listed!):
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> It's been a while, hope you are doing well :)
>
> I'm no longer working in media subsystem but my colleagues Angelo and
> Joao would like to attend.
>
> We currently have HDMI and CSI support for our IPs using V4L2 and we
> would like to interact with the community in order to get this
> up-streamed so that we have as many features supported as possible.
>
> Is it possible ?

Yes. That said, since this is fairly specific and doesn't fall into any of
the three discussions that we plan (codecs, libcamera, future developments)
I think it is more useful if I discuss this separately with Angelo and
Joao on Monday or Tuesday afternoon.

I can definitely discuss HDMI support, and probably give a good stab at the
CSI support (too bad Sakari won't be there).

How about we get together after Greg KH's keynote on Monday?

@ 2019-09-16  9:54     ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2019-09-16  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil
	Alexandre Courbot, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 10:48:51AM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 9/16/19 10:40 AM, Jose Abreu wrote:
> > From: Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
> > Date: Aug/16/2019, 09:06:30 (UTC+00:00)
> >
> >> Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
> >> let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)
> >>
> >> I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
> >> work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
> >> for someone, please let me know.
> >>
> >> I do need to know how many people I can expect. I have the following
> >> confirmed attendees (and please reply if you are not listed!):
> >
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > It's been a while, hope you are doing well :)
> >
> > I'm no longer working in media subsystem but my colleagues Angelo and
> > Joao would like to attend.
> >
> > We currently have HDMI and CSI support for our IPs using V4L2 and we
> > would like to interact with the community in order to get this
> > up-streamed so that we have as many features supported as possible.
> >
> > Is it possible ?
>
> Yes. That said, since this is fairly specific and doesn't fall into any of
> the three discussions that we plan (codecs, libcamera, future developments)
> I think it is more useful if I discuss this separately with Angelo and
> Joao on Monday or Tuesday afternoon.
>
> I can definitely discuss HDMI support, and probably give a good stab at the
> CSI support (too bad Sakari won't be there).
>
> How about we get together after Greg KH's keynote on Monday?

I'll try to join as well. I've run into issues in the past with the
development process related to an HDMI IP (but on the DRM/KMS side), and
I'd like to try and avoid the same mistakes here.

Laurent Pinchart

* RE: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-09-16 10:39       ` Angelo Ribeiro
From: Angelo Ribeiro @ 2019-09-16 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart, Hans Verkuil
	Alexandre Courbot, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

From: Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 10:54:51

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 10:48:51AM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > On 9/16/19 10:40 AM, Jose Abreu wrote:
> > > From: Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
> > > Date: Aug/16/2019, 09:06:30 (UTC+00:00)

> > > Hi Hans,
> > >
> > > It's been a while, hope you are doing well :)
> > >
> > > I'm no longer working in media subsystem but my colleagues Angelo and
> > > Joao would like to attend.
> > >
> > > We currently have HDMI and CSI support for our IPs using V4L2 and we
> > > would like to interact with the community in order to get this
> > > up-streamed so that we have as many features supported as possible.
> > >
> > > Is it possible ?
> >
> > Yes. That said, since this is fairly specific and doesn't fall into any of
> > the three discussions that we plan (codecs, libcamera, future developments)
> > I think it is more useful if I discuss this separately with Angelo and
> > Joao on Monday or Tuesday afternoon.
> >
> > I can definitely discuss HDMI support, and probably give a good stab at the
> > CSI support (too bad Sakari won't be there).
> >
> > How about we get together after Greg KH's keynote on Monday?
>
> I'll try to join as well. I've run into issues in the past with the
> development process related to an HDMI IP (but on the DRM/KMS side), and
> I'd like to try and avoid the same mistakes here.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Laurent Pinchart

Hi,

Thanks for the meeting proposal, for me sounds great.
Currently I'm building a DRM/KMS video pipeline for our HW solution with
Synopsys DSI IP, that is supported by the dw-mipi-dsi driver. Also I'm
going to support the DesignWare MIPI CSI-2 Host and D-PHY that uses V4l2.

Regards,
Angelo Ribeiro

* Re: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-09-16 10:51         ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2019-09-16 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Ribeiro
	Alexandre Courbot, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

Hi Angelo,

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 10:39:56AM +0000, Angelo Ribeiro wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 10:54:51 Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> > > Yes. That said, since this is fairly specific and doesn't fall into any of
> > > the three discussions that we plan (codecs, libcamera, future developments)
> > > I think it is more useful if I discuss this separately with Angelo and
> > > Joao on Monday or Tuesday afternoon.
> > >
> > > I can definitely discuss HDMI support, and probably give a good stab at the
> > > CSI support (too bad Sakari won't be there).
> > >
> > > How about we get together after Greg KH's keynote on Monday?
> >
> > I'll try to join as well. I've run into issues in the past with the
> > development process related to an HDMI IP (but on the DRM/KMS side), and
> > I'd like to try and avoid the same mistakes here.
>
> Thanks for the meeting proposal, for me sounds great.
> Currently I'm building a DRM/KMS video pipeline for our HW solution with
> Synopsys DSI IP, that is supported by the dw-mipi-dsi driver.

Can you share details about the part of the pipeline before the DSI
encoder ? Are there Synopsys IPs there too, or is the DSI encoder
connected to a display controller from the SoC vendor ?

> Also I'm going to support the DesignWare MIPI CSI-2 Host and D-PHY
> that uses V4l2.

Laurent Pinchart

* RE: [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-09-16 12:51           ` Angelo Ribeiro
From: Angelo Ribeiro @ 2019-09-16 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart
	Alexandre Courbot, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

Hi Laurent,

From: Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 11:51:31

> Hi Angelo,
>
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 10:39:56AM +0000, Angelo Ribeiro wrote:

> > > I'll try to join as well. I've run into issues in the past with the
> > > development process related to an HDMI IP (but on the DRM/KMS side), and
> > > I'd like to try and avoid the same mistakes here.
> >
> > Thanks for the meeting proposal, for me sounds great.
> > Currently I'm building a DRM/KMS video pipeline for our HW solution with
> > Synopsys DSI IP, that is supported by the dw-mipi-dsi driver.
>
> Can you share details about the part of the pipeline before the DSI
> encoder ? Are there Synopsys IPs there too, or is the DSI encoder
> connected to a display controller from the SoC vendor ?

There is a video DMA feeding the DSI encoder and the output is driven
through a PHY to a panel.

> > Also I'm going to support the DesignWare MIPI CSI-2 Host and D-PHY
> > that uses V4l2.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Laurent Pinchart