Linux-Media Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Wolfram Sang <wsa@the-dreams.de>
To: Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
Cc: linux-media@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Seeking help for getting rid of i2c_clients_command()
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 16:05:53 +0100

Hi Hans,

I know it is 13 years since you wrote that code:

ba8fc39954bf ("V4L/DVB (4270): Add tda9887-specific tuner configuration")

There, you added i2c_clients_command() which looks today like this:

	i2c_clients_command(priv->i2c_props.adap, TUNER_SET_CONFIG,
			    &tda9887_cfg);

Now, I would like to get rid of the i2c_clients_command() API, and this
is the one remaining user. While trying to convert it into a local
function, I started wondering why i2c_clients_command() is used at all.
Why do we need to try all devices on the bus? A few lines later we have:

	tuner_i2c_xfer_send(&priv->i2c_props, buffer, 4);

so i2c_props.addr seems to have a valid address? Or are there multiple
tuners on that bus? Can you kindly shed some light on this?

Thank you!

   Wolfram