Le mercredi 22 mai 2019 à 11:29 +0200, Paul Kocialkowski a écrit : > Le mercredi 22 mai 2019 à 10:32 +0200, Thierry Reding a écrit : > > On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 09:29:24AM +0200, Boris Brezillon wrote: > > > On Wed, 22 May 2019 15:39:37 +0900 > > > Tomasz Figa wrote: > > > > > > > > It would be premature to state that we are excluding. We are just > > > > > trying to find one format to get things upstream, and make sure we have > > > > > a plan how to extend it. Trying to support everything on the first try > > > > > is not going to work so well. > > > > > > > > > > What is interesting to provide is how does you IP achieve multi-slice > > > > > decoding per frame. That's what we are studying on the RK/Hantro chip. > > > > > Typical questions are: > > > > > > > > > > 1. Do all slices have to be contiguous in memory > > > > > 2. If 1., do you place start-code, AVC header or pass a seperate index to let the HW locate the start of each NAL ? > > > > > 3. Does the HW do support single interrupt per frame (RK3288 as an example does not, but RK3399 do) > > > > > > > > AFAICT, the bit about RK3288 isn't true. At least in our downstream > > > > driver that was created mostly by RK themselves, we've been assuming > > > > that the interrupt is for the complete frame, without any problems. > > > > > > I confirm that's what happens when all slices forming a frame are packed > > > in a single output buffer: you only get one interrupt at the end of the > > > decoding process (in that case, when the frame is decoded). Of course, > > > if you split things up and do per-slice decoding instead (one slice per > > > buffer) you get an interrupt per slice, though I didn't manage to make > > > that work. > > > I get a DEC_BUFFER interrupt (AKA, "buffer is empty but frame is not > > > fully decoded") on the first slice and an ASO (Arbitrary Slice Ordering) > > > interrupt on the second slice, which makes me think some states are > > > reset between the 2 operations leading the engine to think that the > > > second slice is part of a new frame. > > > > That sounds a lot like how this works on Tegra. My understanding is that > > for slice decoding you'd also get an interrupt every time a full slice > > has been decoded perhaps coupled with another "frame done" interrupt > > when the full frame has been decoded after the last slice. > > > > In frame-level decode mode you don't get interrupts in between and > > instead only get the "frame done" interrupt. Unless something went wrong > > during decoding, in which case you also get an interrupt but with error > > flags and status registers that help determine what exactly happened. > > > > > Anyway, it doesn't sound like a crazy idea to support both per-slice > > > and per-frame decoding and maybe have a way to expose what a > > > specific codec can do (through an extra cap mechanism). > > > > Yeah, I think it makes sense to support both for devices that can do > > both. From what Nicolas said it may make sense for an application to > > want to do slice-level decoding if receiving a stream from the network > > and frame-level decoding if playing back from a local file. If a driver > > supports both, the application could detect that and choose the > > appropriate format. > > > > It sounds to me like using different input formats for that would be a > > very natural way to describe it. Applications can already detect the set > > of supported input formats and set the format when they allocate buffers > > so that should work very nicely. > > Pixel formats are indeed the natural way to go about this, but I have > some reservations in this case. Slices are the natural unit of video > streams, just like frames are to display hardware. Part of the pipeline > configuration is slice-specific, so in theory, the pipeline needs to be > reconfigured with each slice. > > What we have been doing in Cedrus is to currently gather all the slices > and use the last slice's specific configuration for the pipeline, which > sort of works, but is very likely not a good idea. > > You mentionned that the Tegra VPU currentyl always operates in frame > mode (even when the stream actually has multiple slices, which I assume > are gathered at some point). I wonder how it goes about configuring > different slice parameters (which are specific to each slice, not > frame) for the different slices. Per-frame CODEC won't ask for the l0/l1 list, which is slice specific. This is the case for the RK3288, we don't pass that information. Instead we build a list from the DPB entries, this is the list before the applying the modifications found in the slice header. The HW will do the rest. > > I believe we should at least always expose per-slice granularity in the > pixel format and requests. Maybe we could have a way to allow multiple > slices to be gathered in the source buffer and have a control slice > array for each request. In that case, we'd have a single request queued > for the series of slices, with a bit offset in each control to the > matching slice. > > Then we could specify that such slices must be appended in a way that > suits most decoders that would have to operate per-frame (so we need to > figure this out) and worst case, we'll always have offsets in the > controls if we need to setup a bounce buffer in the driver because > things are not laid out the way we specified. > > Then we introduce a specific cap to indicate which mode is supported > (per-slice and/or per-frame) and adapt our ffmpeg reference to be able > to operate in both modes. > > That adds some complexity for userspace, but I don't think we can avoid > it at this point and it feels better than having two different pixel > formats (which would probably be even more complex to manage for > userspace). > > What do you think? > > > > The other option would be to support only per-slice decoding with a > > > mandatory START_FRAME/END_FRAME sequence to let drivers for HW that > > > only support per-frame decoding know when they should trigger the > > > decoding operation. The downside is that it implies having a bounce > > > buffer where the driver can pack slices to be decoded on the END_FRAME > > > event. > > > > I vaguely remember that that's what the video codec abstraction does in > > Mesa/Gallium. > > Well, if it's exposed through VDPAU or VAAPI, the interface already > operates per-slice and it would certainly not be a big issue to change > that. VDPAU seem to be per-frame to me (I only read that API recently once). I believe this is the main difference between both. But most VDPAU drivers needs to do their own final bit of parsing. The VAAPI has a start/end call, so with a bounce buffer you can implement the other way too in your driver. But then the cons is that userspace may be doing parsing that won't be used by the driver. > > Talking about the mesa/gallium video decoding stuff, I think it would > be worth having V4L2 interfaces for that now that we have the Request > API. > > Basically, Nvidia GPUs have video decoding blocks (which could be > similar to the ones present on Tegra) that are accessed through a > firmware running on a Falcon MCU on the GPU side. > > Having a standardized firmware interface for these and a V4L2 M2M > driver for the interface would certainly make it easier for everyone to > handle that. I don't really see why these video decoding hardware has > to be exposed through the display stack anyway and one could want to > use the GPU's video decoder without bringing up the shading cores. > > > I'm not very familiar with V4L2, but this seems like it > > could be problematic to integrate with the way that V4L2 works in > > general. Perhaps sending a special buffer (0 length or whatever) to mark > > the end of a frame would work. But this is probably something that > > others have already thought about, since slice-level decoding is what > > most people are using, hence there must already be a way for userspace > > to somehow synchronize input vs. output buffers. Or does this currently > > just work by queueing bitstream buffers as fast as possible and then > > dequeueing frame buffers as they become available? > > We have a Request API mechanism where we group controls (parsed > bitstream meta-data) and source (OUTPUT) buffers together and submit > them tied. When each request gets processed its buffer enters the > OUTPUT queue, which gets picked up by the driver and associated with > the first destination (CAPTURE) buffer available. Then the driver grabs > the buffers and applies the controls matching the source buffer's > request before starting decoding with M2M. > > We have already worked on handling the case of requiring a single > destination buffer for the different slices, by having a flag to > indicate whether the destination buffer should be held. > > Cheers, > > Paul >