* [ANNOUNCE] Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26
@ 2011-06-22 18:33 Mauro Carvalho Chehab
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2011-06-22 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26

Since 2007, we're doing annual mini-summits for the media subsystem,
in order to plan the new features that will be introduced there.

Last year, during the Kernel Summit 2010, it was decided that the Kernel
Summit 2011 format will be modified, in order to strength the interaction
between the several sub-system mini-summits and the main Kernel Summit.
If this idea works well, the next Kernel Summits will also follow the
same format.

So, some mini-summits were proposed to happen together with the Kernel
Summit 2011. Among a few others, the Media subsystem was accepted to be
held with this year's Kernel Summit.

So, we'd like to announce that the Media subsystem workshop 2011 will
happen together with the Kernel Summit 2011.

The Media subsystem workshop is on early planning stages, but the idea
is that we'll have an entire day to do the media discussions. We'll
also planning to have workshop presentations inside the Kernel Summit
2011 with the workshop and Kernel Summit attendants present, where
workshop results will be presented.

So, I'd like to invite V4L, DVB and RC developers to submit proposals
for the themes to be discussed. Please email me if you're interested
on being invited for the event.

Hoping to see you soon there!
Mauro

PS.: I'll be maintaining the information about the event updated at:
http://linuxtv.org/events.php

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26
@ 2011-06-27 12:43 ` Laurent Pinchart
       [not found] ` <201106270754.24770.hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2011-06-27 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mauro,

On Wednesday 22 June 2011 20:33:34 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26
>
> Since 2007, we're doing annual mini-summits for the media subsystem,
> in order to plan the new features that will be introduced there.
>
> Last year, during the Kernel Summit 2010, it was decided that the Kernel
> Summit 2011 format will be modified, in order to strength the interaction
> between the several sub-system mini-summits and the main Kernel Summit.
> If this idea works well, the next Kernel Summits will also follow the
> same format.
>
> So, some mini-summits were proposed to happen together with the Kernel
> Summit 2011. Among a few others, the Media subsystem was accepted to be
> held with this year's Kernel Summit.
>
> So, we'd like to announce that the Media subsystem workshop 2011 will
> happen together with the Kernel Summit 2011.

Thank you for making this happen.

> The Media subsystem workshop is on early planning stages, but the idea
> is that we'll have an entire day to do the media discussions. We'll
> also planning to have workshop presentations inside the Kernel Summit
> 2011 with the workshop and Kernel Summit attendants present, where
> workshop results will be presented.
>
> So, I'd like to invite V4L, DVB and RC developers to submit proposals
> for the themes to be discussed. Please email me if you're interested
> on being invited for the event.

I'm definitely interested. As the event will gather developers from multiple
subsystems, I think we should have a sohrt Media Controller presentation. ALSA
is going to adopt the API, and KMS developers seem to be interested as well.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26
       [not found]   ` <4E088C41.2070307@redhat.com>
@ 2011-06-27 15:02     ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2011-06-27 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: linux-media

On Monday, June 27, 2011 15:57:21 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em 27-06-2011 02:54, Hans Verkuil escreveu:
> > On Wednesday, June 22, 2011 20:33:34 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> >> Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26
> >>
> >> Since 2007, we're doing annual mini-summits for the media subsystem,
> >> in order to plan the new features that will be introduced there.
> >>
> >> Last year, during the Kernel Summit 2010, it was decided that the Kernel
> >> Summit 2011 format will be modified, in order to strength the interaction
> >> between the several sub-system mini-summits and the main Kernel Summit.
> >> If this idea works well, the next Kernel Summits will also follow the
> >> same format.
> >>
> >> So, some mini-summits were proposed to happen together with the Kernel
> >> Summit 2011. Among a few others, the Media subsystem was accepted to be
> >> held with this year's Kernel Summit.
> >>
> >> So, we'd like to announce that the Media subsystem workshop 2011 will
> >> happen together with the Kernel Summit 2011.
> >
> > Great!
> >
> >> The Media subsystem workshop is on early planning stages, but the idea
> >> is that we'll have an entire day to do the media discussions. We'll
> >> also planning to have workshop presentations inside the Kernel Summit
> >> 2011 with the workshop and Kernel Summit attendants present, where
> >> workshop results will be presented.
> >>
> >> So, I'd like to invite V4L, DVB and RC developers to submit proposals
> >> for the themes to be discussed. Please email me if you're interested
> >> on being invited for the event.
>
> (as you've replied in priv, I'm not c/c the ML, but, IMO, the better would
> be if you could write it to the ML as well).

Added the ML.

> > It's terribly early for proposals (it's a fast moving subsystem), but I think
> > one theme for the workshop is to take a good look at our V4L2 Spec and decide
> > on and fix any ambiguities that remain.
>
> Agreed. I'd say more: we should look not only at the V4L part of the spec, but also
> at the DVB part. I hope that we can get interests from some DVB developers to be
> there also.

Indeed.

> > I hope to continue my work on
> > v4l2-compliance and as part of that I keep a list of such problems.
>
> Yes, a compliance tool is a good thing to do.

Too bad there isn't a single driver that complies :-)

> > Another, related, topic is to determine the overall state of the subsystem:
> > the good, the bad and the ugly :-) And to prioritize work accordingly.
>
> Good point.
>
> > One thing I hope to work on this year is to clean up drivers and use the
> > compliance tool to make them behave consistently. I'd be happy to present
> > results of testing for a wide range of hardware at the workshop.
>
> Seems a good topic for me.

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26
@ 2011-06-27 15:04   ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2011-06-27 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Em 27-06-2011 09:43, Laurent Pinchart escreveu:

>> The Media subsystem workshop is on early planning stages, but the idea
>> is that we'll have an entire day to do the media discussions. We'll
>> also planning to have workshop presentations inside the Kernel Summit
>> 2011 with the workshop and Kernel Summit attendants present, where
>> workshop results will be presented.
>>
>> So, I'd like to invite V4L, DVB and RC developers to submit proposals
>> for the themes to be discussed. Please email me if you're interested
>> on being invited for the event.
>
> I'm definitely interested. As the event will gather developers from multiple
> subsystems, I think we should have a sohrt Media Controller presentation. ALSA
> is going to adopt the API, and KMS developers seem to be interested as well.

Yes, a Media Controller presentation there to the full audience sounds interesting
to me.

Thanks,
Mauro

@ 2011-07-03 20:16 ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2011-07-03 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mauro,

On Wednesday 22 June 2011 20:33:34 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26
>
> Since 2007, we're doing annual mini-summits for the media subsystem,
> in order to plan the new features that will be introduced there.
>
> Last year, during the Kernel Summit 2010, it was decided that the Kernel
> Summit 2011 format will be modified, in order to strength the interaction
> between the several sub-system mini-summits and the main Kernel Summit.
> If this idea works well, the next Kernel Summits will also follow the
> same format.
>
> So, some mini-summits were proposed to happen together with the Kernel
> Summit 2011. Among a few others, the Media subsystem was accepted to be
> held with this year's Kernel Summit.
>
> So, we'd like to announce that the Media subsystem workshop 2011 will
> happen together with the Kernel Summit 2011.
 >
> The Media subsystem workshop is on early planning stages, but the idea
> is that we'll have an entire day to do the media discussions. We'll
> also planning to have workshop presentations inside the Kernel Summit
> 2011 with the workshop and Kernel Summit attendants present, where
> workshop results will be presented.
>
> So, I'd like to invite V4L, DVB and RC developers to submit proposals
> for the themes to be discussed. Please email me if you're interested
> on being invited for the event.

This has convinced me to come to Prague for this + kernel summit. So I
hope I can get an invitation :)

Regards,

Hans

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-07-11 20:08 ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2011-07-11 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mauro,

On Wednesday 22 June 2011 20:33:34 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26

The below website says Oct 23 - 25, I'm confused now and I hope
to book a plane ticket soon. Can someone tell me which
dates are correct ?

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linux-kernel-summit

Regards,

Hans

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26
@ 2011-07-12 15:35   ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2011-07-12 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:08:03 +0200
Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 June 2011 20:33:34 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26
> >

> The below website says Oct 23 - 25, I'm confused now and I hope
> to book a plane ticket soon. Can someone tell me which
> dates are correct ?
>
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linux-kernel-summit

There has been talk from within the LF about shifting the kernel summit
forward one day (starting the 23rd) to minimize conflicts with LinuxCon
and such.  I wasn't aware that this action had actually been taken, but I
guess it has.  I would consider the web site to be correct.

jon

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26
@ 2011-07-12 15:49     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2011-07-12 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Em 12-07-2011 12:35, Jonathan Corbet escreveu:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:08:03 +0200
> Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 22 June 2011 20:33:34 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>>> Media subsystem workshop 2011 - Prague - Oct 24-26
>>>

>> The below website says Oct 23 - 25, I'm confused now and I hope
>> to book a plane ticket soon. Can someone tell me which
>> dates are correct ?
>>
>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linux-kernel-summit
>
> There has been talk from within the LF about shifting the kernel summit
> forward one day (starting the 23rd) to minimize conflicts with LinuxCon
> and such.  I wasn't aware that this action had actually been taken, but I
> guess it has.  I would consider the web site to be correct.

Yes. I was waiting for having a confirmation that this change were oficially
announced before updating the info. I fixed the information there today to
reflect the new schedule.

Hans,

Thanks for warning me about that!

Mauro