* [ANN] Topics for a media summit in Lyon in October
@ 2019-08-16  8:06 Hans Verkuil
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2019-08-16  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alexandre Courbot, Laurent Pinchart, Jacopo Mondi, Tomasz Figa

Rather then discussing topics for a meeting under the subject 'Lisbon'
let's start a new thread referring to the right place :-)

I will try to organize a room, either during the ELCE or (if that doesn't
work) perhaps on the Thursday afterwards. If that's going to be a problem
for someone, please let me know.

I do need to know how many people I can expect. I have the following
confirmed attendees (and please reply if you are not listed!):

Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@chromium.org>
Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>
Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>

I know there were more who mentioned on irc that they would attend,
but it is easier to keep track if I have it in an email.

Topics posted under the previous thread:

Tomasz:

I would want to discuss various v4l2_buffer improvements, e.g.
- DMA-buf import with plane offsets,
- unifying the buffer structs for M and non-M formats,
- ability to import different FDs with offsets for non-M formats if the
layout matches driver expectations, etc.

Besides that, I would be interested in the general idea on handling
complex cameras in the Linux kernel in spite of the remaining V4L2
limitations, e.g.
- combinatorial explosion of /dev/video nodes,
- significant ioctl overhead,
- huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
- the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
- lack of fences, etc.

Jacopo:

Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
about. Sakari?

Alexandre:

If Collabora/Bootlin is there, I'd certainly want to discuss stateless
codecs, in particular m2m codec helpers and finalize the specification
in general.

Regards,

	Hans